SASS Wire Forum

Shooting the Ferguson

Hill Beachy, SASS #5327

One of our own (Grizzly Roberts) literally co-wrote the book on the Ferguson rifle!  It is entitled "Every Insult & Indignity: The Life, Genius, and Legacy of Major Patrick Ferguson" and is available through various book outlets.  Very informative and well-written.  Grizz also had a few videos on the internet showing the speed with which it could be shot. 

Hill, I cannot tell you the number of times I've watched his video clips over the last few years.  Duly impressed!!  :)

This last Sunday my son and I had made it out to my godson's ranch about an hour before sundown.  I popped a few caps on my Hawken, then broke out the Ferguson.   

I've only shot it once before, about two years ago. This was the Kid's first experience.  We will NEVER be as proficient as Grizzly... but DANG it's fun!!  ^_^

(Doh!   Hardpan, remember to close the frizzen!)

Lordy, but that Durs Egg lock is gorgeous!  :blush:

ContactPhotoRetouching-IMG_20210112_155350.jpg.820b5cb8b50f95f164e2987161b01fee.jpg

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You mean "remember to close the pan cover, " fight?  :P

I was mentally saying bad words that sorta kinda rhymed wit' "Frizzen"  :rolleyes:

Just so happens that I am rereading the old Louis L'Amour book The Ferguson Rifle right now. Pretty enjoyable read.      And Hardpan, that is one beautiful gun!

There was a company, several years ago...I think it was called: Narraganset Arms, that made muzzleloading rifles. One of the models they reproduced was a Ferguson rifle, patterned after the originals. I wanted one, but they were way too expensive for me. They were full stock rifles. I do not think anyone produces one today, unless one has one made by a custom gunmaker.  I did see the lock-works (no stock, or barrel), for a Ferguson rifle, for sale on G.B., last year, and it was NOT cheap.  

It would be interesting to have someone do a side-by-side comparison, of a traditional muzzleloader, and a Ferguson rifle, to see which one is faster to load and fire. I know people write about it, and say the Ferguson is faster, but that is something I'd like to see for myself.  

Until then...the jury is still out. 

W.K. 

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Very cool, I've never heard of a reproduction. 

I'd be careful of this in the future...

Good eyes, TFJ~!  ^_^

Actually, it was a "dead soldier" - a partial jug with only a couple ounces of 3F that I'd emptied into the brass flask.  :)

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Very cool, I've never heard of a reproduction. 

I'd be careful of this in the future...

OpenPowderCan.jpg

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good eyes, TFJ~!  ^_^

Actually, it was a "dead soldier" - a partial jug with only a couple ounces of 3F that I'd emptied into the brass flask.  :)

I guess I am not seeing the problem. What is the problem? 

Doh! Hit the button then saw the little red arrow. 

I had never seen a Ferguson Rifle except in books. That’s pretty cool, Hardpan. It sure beats tamping a rod down the barrel to load it. 

Archived