SASS Wire Forum

I don’t mean to brag but my wife let’s me get the fancy kind

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I used to love tinned smoked oysters. Then one day I ate a bad batch. I was so sick I have never been able to bring myself to eat canned oysters or clams or even fresh ones since. :lol:

"...Then one day I ate a bad batch. I was so sick I have never been able to bring myself to eat canned oysters or clams or even fresh ones since. :lol:.."

me too , im not touchin them except for catfish bait 

Growing up along the Chesapeake Bay, we use to wade out into the oyster bed and harvest our lunch one at a time.

I sure do miss the taste of fresh raw oysters and breaded and fried soft shelled crab......

15 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My question would be are any of them any good?

Considering that the Daufuski brand has been in existence since 1883 and the Maggioni Oyster Company has been a family business for 5 generations, a lot of people must like them.

L. P. Maggioni and Company

L. P. Maggioni and Company first began operation in 1870 after Luigi Paoli Maggioni emigrated from Genoa, Italy to begin a new life in the United States. He and his wife, Natalie Betellini whom he met and married in Jacksonville, Florida settled on the Isle of Hope near Savannah, Georgia and began selling shellfish and other small items.

In 1883, they opened an oyster factory on Daufuskie Island and later built an oyster cannery in Beaufort, South Carolina. The company which started as a retail seafood dealership peaked in the mid 1900s to include fifteen canneries throughout South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. L. P. Maggioni and Company employed more than 2,500 people and also branched out their oyster business to include shrimp, citrus, and produce as well. They packaged and labeled scores of products — today, we recognize the packages as little pieces of art.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Considering that the Daufuski brand has been in existence since 1883 and the Maggioni Oyster Company has been a family business for 5 generations, a lot of people must like them.

I guess for soups and stews and such.  I like 'em fresh - pop 'em open, a touch of lemon, a touch of Tabasco, and down the hatch.  

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

More research shows that while the Daufuski brand is almost 140 years old. It along with most other canned seafood brands are now owned by companies based in Asia. With said seafood also coming from Asian waters vice US

Seems that water pollution, poor harvesting practices, and a whole host of economic factors have decimated US oyster production along the eastern seaboard.

South Carolina Picture Project

Archived