SASS Wire Forum

OT: cast bullets in 300 Blackout?

I’m currently loading 110 grain Nosler Varmageddon bullets in my 300 Blackout loads but even in the best of times those are hard to get, I have found various weights of cast bullets in stock here and there on the Interweb so I’m wondering about the efficacy of loading some of the lighter weight (115 to 135 grain) bullets in 300 Blackout. Is anybody doing it.

Howdy,

I do know that lead bullets create dust or vapor that builds up and

jams some semi auto actions.

Once they start jamming cleanin em out is a lotta work.

Shooting them a little once in a while probably fine.

Best

CR

Lead bullets work fine for me in 300 Blackout semi-autos, but I use coated lead bullets and I'm using heavy bullets 220 to 230 grn for subsonic loads. Can't really tell you about light lead and/or uncoated bullets. I would think that given velocities over 2,000 to 2,300 fps that leading could be an issue especially with uncoated bullets. Be interested to see feedback from anyone who's tried it before. 

Seems like a copper gas check would both help seal and reduce lead fouling. 

I shoot alox tumbled cast lead in my 45 acp's and then at the end of a range session I run 1 mag of copper jacketed through them. Cleans out any noticeable lead fouling

I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone tried this at 2000 FPS with hard cast lead and they got shotgun pattern accuracy and lots of lead fouling. It has been 3 or 4 years and I can’t remember where I read this. Maybe on The High Road. 

I kind of suspected that the velocity would be a bit too much for shooting cast lead, but it was worth a try. I'm always looking for something out of the ordinary to try...

I cast and load a Lee 230 grain tumble lube over Reddot or Lil'Gun for 1200-1300 fps in a short bolt gun.  No leading with 5/95 tin/lead material.

Cheap shooting for 75 yard plinking.

I know that others do much more velocity (1600-1700) with 150 grain bullets.

I've been finding 125 grain and 150 grain jacketed bullets in stock here and there on the Interweb, so I'll probably stick with those for the nonce.

Thanks, folks!

Archived