SASS Wire Forum

Why Do Turrets Fall Out?

Sedalia Dave

I watched half of the first video. After about 25 minutes I thought to myself, "Why  does this really matter?"

I am pretty sure that the two 5"-54 gun mounts on my ship  had retaining / bearing rings for the turrets as did our missile launchers that also were mounted on turrets.. Our launchers could spin 360 degrees with no restrictions. The gun mounts had superstructure blocking full movement.

8 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Why would they need to lock down a mega-ton turret on a ship in the first place? If your ship turns upside-down I think you've got bigger problems than the turrets falling out!

In the video it is suggested that the hold downs were possibly to prevent damage during recoil. 

By the way. 

"Why Do Turrets Fall Off? - SASS Wire Saloon - SASS Wire Forum" https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/310920-why-do-turrets-fall-off/

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In the video it is suggested that the hold downs were possibly to prevent damage during recoil. 

By the way. 

"Why Do Turrets Fall Off? - SASS Wire Saloon - SASS Wire Forum" https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/310920-why-do-turrets-fall-off/

OOPS :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

LOL!  

How did you run across it?  I  found it as a side bar when looking for Navy mess.

Same except it popped up like 3 time the same day

At roughly 160 tons per turret, there was no need to use anything but gravity to hold them on.  Each of the guns was a bit more than 1/4 of a million lbs. dead weight.

Archived