SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Mini 14 Value

Pards;

A Southern Arizona buy/sell/ trade publication had A Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223 Caliber, listed for $1500, that seems a bit high unless I’m out of touch with reality.  What are your thoughts on this price?  What would I expect to pay that  would be fair to both parties in a face to face deal?

Thanks for your imput.

Regards

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That is "better have Vaseline" high. Once you've actually owned a Mini 14, you wouldn't pay over $400 for one.....I know I wouldn't

I will disagree with CS. The mini is the toughest rifle this side of an AK47 and will endure abuse that would send an AR running for momma. You have to use factory mags, the Promag ones are junk. And it will never equal an AR in accuracy, but it is a GREAT rough use gun.

The Mini 14s have their nook.  It is perfect for me for Coyote Hunting getting in and out of the truck.  However, it is not a target rifle.  After about three rapid fires it will tend to stray with flyers.

I have seven in different configurations.  The advantage of the Ranch, it is set-up to mount a scope.  There are numerous after market add-on, etc.

Even my one with the stainless steel Target Barrel is not worth that much however.  They have gone up in price from around $450 to more in the $800 range today.

I would pass on the $1500.

The Mini-14 Ranch has it uses.  It was developed by Ruger to compete with the AR, but Ruger didn't get it into the selection competition in time.  It is much easier than an AR to break down for cleaning.  Prison systems bought them up for the guards to use on the wall  and towers.  They are sold around the world in many different calibers, but mine are all 223.

7 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I will disagree with CS. The mini is the toughest rifle this side of an AK47 and will endure abuse that would send an AR running for momma. You have to use factory mags, the Promag ones are junk. And it will never equal an AR in accuracy, but it is a GREAT rough use gun.

I'll agree to disagree. The Mini worked every time, if you could hit anything beyond 50 yards though was iffy on a good mini day. I gun viced one down once. Eight inch group (with a couple of wilds) at 50. Wouldn't be my "go to" gun. Maybe it's just me.

Ask what ever you want if it does not sell drop the price a little if it does not sell drop the price a little etc. The price of any  personal firearm is what value you put on it not the market. Your not a retailer competing with other retailers for a living your just trying to sell a piece of personal property. 

Maybe it was one of the Mini-14s used by the A-Team. Those puppies could flip the bad guy's Jeeps over like they were acrobats!

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

Maybe it was one of the Mini-14s used by the A-Team. Those puppies could flip the bad guy's Jeeps over like they were acrobats!

Yeah but they were aiming for the Chevy van!

when looking to purchase a Corvette many years ago I asked the president of the Corvette club of America how to determine the price of a corvette. his answer was the prices would be whatever anybody was  willing to pay. seems the same situation here. at $1,500, unless there's something uniquely special like serial number one, it's wsy overpriced :-)

8 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

The Mini-14 Ranch has it uses.  It was developed by Ruger to compete with the AR, but Ruger didn't get it into the selection competition in time.  It is much easier than an AR to break down for cleaning.  Prison systems bought them up for the guards to use on the wall  and towers.  They are sold around the world in many different calibers, but mine are all 223.

I don't agree.  I have owned both and an AR is much easier to break down.  I can also hit targets at over 300 yds. with my AR.   Couldn't hit much past 75 yds. with the Mini.  I can break my AR down in 30-45 seconds. Can you get your Mini done that quick?

I have a (pre-ban), it has an aftermarket front sight-flash suppressor which added weight to the barrel, I had a little work done to it then I added a 6" barrel harmonics stabilizer which made the barrel a lot more rigid along with a 6" bi-pod.  Using a scope, I can get 5 round groups at 2- 2.5" out to around 175-200 yds. depending on the ammo used.  That doesn't mean I would rely on that at that range all the time.  but for what I want it for at 100 yds., it is perfect.

Ruger changed the barrels over the years.  The early ones had too much vibration.  They used to sell an after market barrel stiffener to add to their accuracy.  The later ones have a better quality barrel.

I can break clay pigeons at 150-175 yards off of a rest with several of mine.

I was in the army for 28 years and I still think the Mini !4 is much easier to break down than a AR.

3 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I don't agree.  I have owned both and an AR is much easier to break down.  I can also hit targets at over 300 yds. with my AR.   Couldn't hit much past 75 yds. with the Mini.  I can break my AR down in 30-45 seconds. Can you get your Mini done that quick?

Yes, just pull out on the trigger housing and it comes apart.

Archived