SASS Wire Forum

I need information about seafoam

Alpo

I have a car with several-year-old gasohol in it. A neighbor recommended I add seafoam to the tank. He says it has worked wonders for him.

I go to Amazon, because Amazon's got everything. I do a search on seafoam. Seafoam apparently makes many different products.

Which one do you use when you just have bad gas in your tank?

I tinker with and restore a lot of older vehicles, mostly Triumph sports cars and old pickup trucks of various manufacture.  I can assure you, that there is absolutely NO additive ever invented that will make old, gelled, or "gunk" gasoline palpable even for naturally aspirated fuel systems, let alone anything with fuel injection.  If you have contaminated gasoline, your only safe hope is to pull and drain the tank, and flush all fuel lines along with replacing all fuel filters.  Dislodging "gunk" into the fine orifices is a recipe for disaster.

Seafoam (various formulations) is good if your tank has MINOR condensation, that's it.

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

After you drain the bad gas, how does one dispose of it??

When I lived down in Florida several years ago, there was a "quick lube" type of place that would accept contaminated oil and gasoline for a minor fee.  I haven't found one locally in SE Alabama that offers that service yet.

12 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Gas-XExtraStrengthSoftgel-ea0a2b28773c4f619eb376b16d7ac87a.thumb.jpg.4b0bea80b73c9e60827891f960f1f170.jpg

But still, disposing of the "old gas" presents a new set of problems. Unless you're in a well ventilated area, of course. :lol:

Howdy,

You might drain the tank and let the old gas settle for a while.

The old gas might run a lawnmower or something.

A little at a time of course.

Or find a place where they dispose of such.

Perhaps put it in a bucket and just light it??

Im outta ideas....

Best

CR

45 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

After you drain the bad gas, how does one dispose of it??

Pour that crap down a storm drain and let the water department deal with it.

36 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Wrong answer on every level.  I hope I don’t live in your community. 

Most car care places take old petroleum products for safe disposal. 

53 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Please don't say type that. We have enough problems with our water system as it is. 

16 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Use it to start fires — with limits. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKXrwAWZkgQ

Never personally witnessed it, but heard one story where a guy was slammed against a house and knocked out

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

I have a car with several-year-old gasohol in it. A neighbor recommended I add seafoam to the tank. He says it has worked wonders for him.

I go to Amazon, because Amazon's got everything. I do a search on seafoam. Seafoam apparently makes many different products.

Which one do you use when you just have bad gas in your tank?

That was the color of my 1954 Dodge Royal .  Well, half of the colors anyway.  The other was almost white with enough sea foam green to make it work better.

How do I turn off this GD auto correct that kept retyping "sea foam" into "sea food"?

Gasoline lasts a lot longer than many people think. When my dad passed away a couple poly cans of it got left in his garage for about 8 years before I finally took it and fed my lawnmowers with it. Worked just fine.

In my younger and stoopider years I used to use gasoline to degrease car parts all the time, outdoors and in non-static plastic basins. Fortunately I was careful never to smoke or fart near it and I still have all my fingers, toes and eyebrows.

Archived