SASS Wire Forum

WTB (FOUND) reloading press for 38 special

Fretless

My wife and I are brand new shooters (we shot our first match this past weekend) and it's clear we're going to need to load our own.  I know primers are more valuable than diamonds these days, but in the mean time I want to start collecting the basics.  I'm thinking something like the Lee Turret Press, but that's not a deal breaker...just something basic and reliable.  Anybody want to help us get started?

Fretless,

I have two 650XL and I have been thinking about selling one of them, if you are interested in getting in that deep, $1200. loaded with all the extras. To get you started, I will throw in some primers for the 38 special. No not a thousand, but a few hundred.

Abilene Al

I have a Redding T7 press with two heads. One head has never been unwrapped. $200 shipped.

I can send pictures if interested.

Johnny Meadows

928-300-6684

johnnymeadows55@yahoo.com

6 hours ago, Abilene Al, SASS #72248 said:

Fretless,

I have two 650XL and I have been thinking about selling one of them, if you are interested in getting in that deep, $1200. loaded with all the extras. To get you started, I will throw in some primers for the 38 special. No not a thousand, but a few hundred.

Abilene Al

That's way over my budget right now.  Maybe somebody else will see this and contact you about it.  Thank you for the offer.

7 hours ago, Abilene Al, SASS #72248 said:

Fretless,

Abilene Al

Hey Abilene, I will send you a pm about that deal. Thanks

Fretless,

Understand, I started small also, I started with a 310 hand tool (still got it) one round at a time and worked my way up. Got to have a lot of time on your hands to do that in cowboy shooting. I shoot 45LC and my wife use to shoot 38, but PPMS has a grip on her and she is losing too much motor control to handle firearms now, shame, for better or worse.

Abilene

Fretless,

A hearty Welcome to you and your wife to the best game and folks goin. This is great place when looking for stuff and great Cowboy conversation. You'll get a lot of help here. Enjoy.:FlagAm:

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

2 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

I have a Redding T7 press with two heads. One head has never been unwrapped. $200 shipped.

I can send pictures if interested.

Johnny Meadows

928-300-6684

johnnymeadows55@yahoo.com

A feature I like on the T7 is the spent primer capture system.  It routes spent primers down a tube.  Some other presses let primers free fall into a tray.  Some miss and end up on the floor. :angry:

A year ago I added a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro to my reloading room.  It's a true progressive for ~$110 and works well - except the for the priming system that I find fussy.  With the Lee Safety Prime system it is easy to dump primers on the floor.  I don't have this problem with my Dillons that are superior (and much more expensive) machines.

Redding makes really, really good stuff that will last forever. That is a lifetime press at a very good price.

29 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I have a 3 hole  Lee press. for. I will send you a PM.

If Fretless doesn't take it, please PM me

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

A feature I like on the T7 is the spent primer capture system.  It routes spent primers down a tube.  Some other presses let primers free fall into a tray.  Some miss and end up on the floor. :angry:

A year ago I added a Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro to my reloading room.  It's a true progressive for ~$110 and works well - except the for the priming system that I find fussy.  With the Lee Safety Prime system it is easy to dump primers on the floor.  I don't have this problem with my Dillons that are superior (and much more expensive) machines.

I really like my lee ABLP.  If you are getting into reloading and aren't sure what you will want out of the press, the ABLP isn't a bad option, Go with the Pro 4000 kit if you can find it, otherwise you'll end up paying for as much as a Lee Load Master by the time you get all the accessories.  Nice thing about the ABLP is you can reconfigure it to suit whatever speed and configuration you want for reloading.  Single Stage, two stage, 4 stage etc.

If you just want a dedicated progressive get a Dillon, a Load Master or something along those lines, they will have better priming systems, safety features or stations.

14 hours ago, Fretless said:

My wife and I are brand new shooters (we shot our first match this past weekend) and it's clear we're going to need to load our own.  I know primers are more valuable than diamonds these days, but in the mean time I want to start collecting the basics.  I'm thinking something like the Lee Turret Press, but that's not a deal breaker...just something basic and reliable.  Anybody want to help us get started?

Fretless,

Johnny Meadow's T7 is a good deal!  Especially since he's throwing in shipping on that cast-iron press.

IF you still go with a Lee Turret, make sure it's the Classic Turret and NOT the Value Turret.  I reviewed the Value Turret Press and would not recommend it.  For the very little price difference, the Classic Turret is much better.

Fretless welcome to the SASS world!! I too am a new shooter just since September last year and I was fortunate enough to get a deal on the Dillon XL650 My buddies reload on either A dillon 550, 650 or 750.  I absolutely enjoy mine.

I have 2 650s 1 550 and two square deals .  the square deal is absolutely the best entry level loading press. it's by Dillon .  the new ones are not excessive and you can occasionally find a used one on GunBroker or ebay. the only drawback is you can only load pistol caliber rounds on them. but again as for an entry level progressive machine my opinion is that's the best.

I forgot to mention, Dillon  precision guarantees all their presses new and used with what they call their no BS warranty. absolutely the best customer service I've ever experienced.

16 hours ago, Fretless said:

A Lee turret press is a good press. It does have some plastic parts that need regular replacement. 

I think you will find that the press may be a bit slow in production of ammo when there are two shooters. A weekend of shooting will burn through 500 rounds of ammo. That we be about $400.00 factory ammo costs. (if you can find it).

The Hornady AP press at around $500.00 will serve you well as well as not totally destroying a budget.

A Dillon 750 will run you about $600.00.

Both are excellent presses and carry the same warranty.

Additional items such as dies, powder scale, various other shop stuff are about equal on both.

I have a Lee Loadmaster set up and tuned in for 38 special. I typically crank out 500 rounds a session. I am thinking about moving up to a Mark 7. Let me know if you don't find anything and we will see if we can get together  on a price. Getting everything dialed in is 3/4 of the battle. I don't know if Scarlett Darlin is headed that way anytime soon, but that would save a lot of shipping. I am just below  Charlotte. 

Thanks all.  This thread offered great feedback as well as generous offers.  There were additional offers via PM.  I have settled on a Dillon Square Deal B.

So, about everything offered in this thread.... Let the side deals commence.

Thanks,

Fretless

25 minutes ago, Fretless said:

Thanks all.  This thread offered great feedback as well as generous offers.  There were additional offers via PM.  I have settled on a Dillon Square Deal B.

So, about everything offered in this thread.... Let the side deals commence.

Thanks,

Fretless

You will never be disappointed with a Dillon SDB. Clean and lube once/year, according to YouTube instructions, and they run like a fine Swiss watch

Southwest said it all Dillion is great and I've been loading with a 650 for twenty years and they have been there all the way with anything I needed

Archived