SASS Wire Forum

45-60?

The Verdigris Kid

Even when available, loaded ammo will run you $2.50 to $3.00 per round, plus shipping, and may very well be cut down .45-70 anyway. 

I had one about 15 years ago, sold it, and bought a .45-75 instead. All my brass was cut down .45-70, and went with the rifle when it sold.

The original M1876 rifles in .45-60 had a slightly thinner rim, and sometimes required the rims of .45-70 brass to be thinned from the front of the rim.  The one I had, had enough headspace that I didn't have to do that.  I don't know what the modern repros are doing.  Best of luck!

Stay well and safe!

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3945?

Thats $2.10/round. 100 rounds is $210! yikes

100 rounds of Starline 45-70 brass is $50.

I just tried to find dies, out of stock or discontinued.

Research is your friend. Bullets and primers are about the only thing reasonable for this caliber.

I have a Uberti 1876 in .45-60.  For brass, I cut down .45-70 cases (they work perfectly).  For dies, I use a set of .45-70 dies that I modified (I shortened the bullet seating die with a cut-off wheel).  I cast my own bullets with a Lyman mold that throws a 293 grain bullet.  Pretty reasonably priced shootin' if you do it the way I did.

Jamison used to have 45-60 Brass .

I don't know is they still make them.

I have both Jamison Brass and cut down 45-70. Both both well .

Don't know how much Brass you are talking about.

If you are talking 50 or so, send them to me. i will cut them down for you . No Charge .

The 45-60 is a wonderful cartridge . I have shot them out to 200 yds 15 grs. Trail Boss  200 grs Bullet .

I have booth Original made in 1882 .And a Uberdi, Both are wonderful Rifles .

Take a look at the cascity forum they have a section just for 1876 Win. I have a Chaparral 1876 rifle, brass, dies and bullets that I would be willing to sell. PM me if you are interested. Package deal only.

Silver Rings

I have a Uberti 76 45-60. I initially trimmed 45 70 brass using a mini chop saw from harbor freight. Found a 3D printed jig. Easy-peasy to cut down. I later found 45-60 brass at Grafs. It’s fairly expensive, 2.20 each. I can’t tell the difference in my rifle. Now I use the 45-70 cut down for BP and the 45-60 for smokeless. 

my pet load is 12.0 Unique and a 305grn Bear Creek Bullet. Accurate out to 300 yds.  

Just bought a set of .45-60 dies (rcbs) from Midway @$50.

Archived