SASS Wire Forum

Good source for western holsters and belt rigs

Tom Black

I am brand new to the SASS and this forum and am glad to finally have become registered. I have many different types of firearms, but for single action, I have five from the Ruger family including three  Vaqueros.  

I often find excellent gear and accessories on other forums, but have not yet find a good source of western rigs, new or used for my Vaqueros. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Check out the SASS home page, there are links to Mernickle  as well as a number of fine leather makers;

https://www.mernickleholsters.com

https://www.sassnet.com/Links-Main-001A.php

TB

There are many, many leather makers out there for what we do. I think a more thorough search is needed on your part. And I'm pretty sure your listed SASS# is wrong, might want to correct that.  #222357? 

You may find some posted in the classified or at a match. I would avoid the real cheap stuff, it tends to not hold up well and may get floppy. Quality will last many years. I paid $150 for a name brand rig I found in a pawn shop about 15 years or so ago that I still use. Stiff, thick double layer holsters are still going strong and the belt does not sag. It's a double strong side with slight forward cant. 

I'm new to this game as well, been in it for about 7 months.  I decided to buy once cry one and get a good rig from the start.  I called Johnny Ross and talked through everything with him and am extremely satisfied with the rig he made for me.  I highly recommend him, and I highly recommend calling and letting him guide you through it all.

http://jm-leather.com/

Good ones mentioned so far but let me suggest one of my favorites, Doc Noper.  I just received my second rig from him.  Also Aint Dunnit makes a fine rig.  Sassy and I both have one of his.  Sassy and I both like Doc's  excellent shotgun belt.  He will work with you to get loop placement to your desire.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

You may find some posted in the classified or at a match. I would avoid the real cheap stuff, it tends to not hold up well and may get floppy. Quality will last many years. I paid $150 for a name brand rig I found in a pawn shop about 15 years or so ago that I still use. Stiff, thick double layer holsters are still going strong and the belt does not sag. It's a double strong side with slight forward cant. 

Agree.  I have sold three nice rigs in last several months.  Sometime shooter just gets ready for a change and sells a rig.

The Texas State match is coming up at the end of March.  There will likely be some quality CAS vendors there.  You could be measured for a rig and find other things you might need like a loading strip, cast bullets and clothes.

I have Mernickle (Wild Bunch) and Kirkpatrick (Cowboy).  Both have served me well.

That said, my next cowboy rig will be made by T-Star Leather out of Oklahoma.  His custom rigs are great.

https://tstarleather.com/ 

I have used a number of rigs over the years and many listed above.  Great rigs are not cheap, but having a really good rig sure makes shooting more enjoyable.

Kirkpatrick leather

JM Leather

Persimmon Dan

Doc Noper

Colt Faro

All are shooters or former shooters that know how to build rigs for what we do.  There are many more, but I have used the above and know they are quality rigs.

Totes

Good national sources have been listed above.

You might surprised at local sources.  Talk to local cowboy shooters.  You may even find some good used leather for a deal.

We have 3-4 good local makers in NC, which is not in cowboy country.

6 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I'm new to this game as well, been in it for about 7 months.  I decided to buy once cry one and get a good rig from the start.  I called Johnny Ross and talked through everything with him and am extremely satisfied with the rig he made for me.  I highly recommend him, and I highly recommend calling and letting him guide you through it all.

http://jm-leather.com/

+1

7 hours ago, Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945 said:

I have bought several items from Reddog leather on Ebay good products, good prices, and excellent service.

I have a double strong side with an added crossdraw from Reddog. Excellent leather work.

Thanks everyone for the godd suggestions. I agree that you likely wont be happy with cheaply made holsters and rigs. I will certainly check the SASS classifieds often and also start researching the offerings of all the Leather makers you all listed.

Thanks for all the help. When I find one I like, I will post some pictures.

Both my wife and I shoot rigs from Ted Blocker leather.  Heck they even have one named after me!!

BUT, it was designed by Coho Kid (the owner) and me after a dismal experience we both had at EOT with Frontiersman a long time ago.

Since then has adjusted the pattern to fit Rugers, and all varieties of Colts clones.

Like one poster said,  cry once........

But get good leather...

Ol'  #4

You can't go wrong with Kirkpatrick leather. It is some fine craftsmanship. I don't care for some of those out there than cheap out and use elastic that will wear out instead of good ol' leather. Kirkpatrick made my Cowboy and now my Wild Bunch Rig.

https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/

There are many, many, more... But, here's a few in no particular order:

On 1/12/2021 at 11:44 PM, Caboose said:

Tombstone Leather Products at.

knightsleatherproducts.com

Tombstone leather took my money 10 months ago-never got anything-including any further communication. Before anyone jumps in about how I don't know the whole story-there is no excuse for complete failure to even answer a text, phone call or email. [ Several of them. ]

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a rig at Winter Range 2020

Nick charged my credit card on March 13, 2020 and that was the last communication

No product received.

The only available phone number on his card and website is never answered and there is no voice mail.

Multiple emails either direct to Nick or through the website have been unanswered.

Is there anyone in San Diego willing to drive by his shop and see if it is still open?

7868 Silverton Av STE E

Archived