SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger broken Barrel lug

Wiscat

I have a Stoeger Coach gun that I used in my one and only cowboy action match many moons ago. (Probably 20 years ago; this summer I would like to do another.)

The lug under the barrel is broken.  I have seen some posts about getting this repaired.  

Can you fellas point me in the direction of a smith that could do this repair?

Thank you,

39 minutes ago, Wiscat said:

I have a Stoeger Coach gun that I used in my one and only cowboy action match many moons ago. (Probably 20 years ago; this summer I would like to do another.)

The lug under the barrel is broken.  I have seen some posts about getting this repaired.  

Can you fellas point me in the direction of a smith that could do this repair?

Thank you,

I would contact Lassiter, 3-Cut or Boomstick Jay and I'm sure there are lots of other competent Gunsmiths.

Randy

Briley Manufacturing does this work and the results are excellent.  One of our local shooters recently had the barrel lug on his SKB fixed and it looks like new.  They are very reasonable on their prices.

Their contact info is on the link bellow:

https://www.briley.com

(713) 932- 6995 is their phone number,  if you have any problems with the link. 

• Ohio - Lassiter, Tom's Single Action Shop New Lebanon, OH 45345 937-687-1039
  • Arizona - Jim Bowie, Cowboy and Indians Store, Mojave Valley, AZ (714) 210-2720
  • Vermont - Jimmy Spurs, Jim McMahon, Cowboy Gun Works, Island Pond, VT, (603) 425-1189
  • Texas - Boomstick Jay, Jason Widmer, Boomstick Arms Co LLC, Leonard, TX 254-368-4540
  • North Carolina - Three Cut, James Club III, Norwood, NC (981) 474-3218 
  • California - Shotgun Boogie, Uwe Bartch, Shotgun Boogie Gun Works, Glendora, CA (512) 645-4247
  • Texas - Long Hunter, Jim Finch, Long Hunter Shooting Supply, Amarillo, TX (806) 342-0000
  • West Virginia - Cody Conagher, Donald Jones, The Cowboy Shop, Berkeley Springs, WV (304) 258-1419
  • Oklahoma, Roy’s Creek Dan, Jere Korthanke, (405) 615-4577
  • Oklahoma - Snake Oil George, Doyle Stockstill, (918) 729-0430
  • Indiana- Coyote Moon Gun Works 10749 E. Green Hill Road Otterbein, Indiana 47970 765-427-2201 text or leave a message
  • Illinois - Cowboy Carty, Carty Allaman, Western Gun Works, Monmouth, IL (309) 536-0163
  • Illinois - Sgt Eli, Mark Cribelar, Victory Gun Works, Fairfield, Illinois, (618) 204-9972 
  • Nebraska - Run-N-Iron Customizing, Bertrand, Nebraska, (308) 472-1445
  • New Mexico - Ken Griner, Griner Gunworks, Bloomfield, NM (505) 632-9712 
  • Oregon - Pioneer Gunworks, Portugy Joe, Joe Alves; Jr., Springfield, OR (541) 515-6084
  • Arizona - The Dusty Bunch, Old West Guns & Gunsmithing, Maricopa, AZ, (520) 568-2852
  • Texas - Lefty Wheeler, George Kucinich, Wheeler Gun Works, Willow Park, TX (817) 264-6463
  • Arizona - (by Appointment Only), Johnny Meadows, James Peoble  johnnymeadows55@yahoo.com 
  • Pennsylvania - Encks Gun Barn, 17 East Main Ave., Myerstown, Pa., 17067, (717) 628-5084 
  • Texas - Nate Kiowa Jones, Steve Young, Steve's Gunz, Lampasas, TX (512) 564-1015 
  • Florida - Island Gunsmith - Tommy Bonnet (alias - El Q Jones) Amelia Island, FL (904) 557-4909 
  • Texas - Ten-Ring Precision, Inc., 1449 Blue Crest, San Antonio, Texas 78232, 1-210-494-3063
  • Oklahoma - Creek County Kid, The Gun Shop, Sapulpa, Oklahoma, (918) 370-0781 
  • Minnesota - Ahlman's Guns, (formerly Coyote Cap), Morristown, MN (507) 685-4244 

I taught welding for 19 years, but would not dare touch some ones SKB, Stoeger maybe.

I'm no gunsmith but I repaired one of my Stoegers and one that belonged to another pard. The lugs were not completely broken, just enough of a chunk of metal was worn off to allow the barrel to open on the first shot, preventing the second hammer from falling. Added some metal with my MIG and filed it down to a good lock up.  

I think one of the problems on the Stoegers is that the initial fitting is done such that the sled which engages the lug is fitted to just barely engage the lug. The two I repaired were  engaged less than 1/16 inch. When I repaired the lugs, I got the lugs fitted to the point that the sled engaged the lug by more like 1/8 to 3/16 inch. This spreads the wear over a larger area, reducing the risk of breaking off the corner of the lug. 

I think this is just a manufacturer doing the minimum to get the gun to lock up and work. 

OP, sorry to hear this.
I had a brand new Stoeger, broke the lug on the 12th shell at the trap range.

Their 5 year warranty plan is replacing the gun.
In CA, this is a new serial number, another $50 FFL fee, another $40 background check fee, another 10-day waiting period, and shipping delays back and forth.

I checked around, found broken lugs to be a common failure with Stoegers.
I sent this information to Stoeger customer service and told them they are selling lemons, and I wanted a refund.
And I got it.

Archived