SASS Wire Forum

Re: Disassembly directions for Stoeger receiver

Fast Tracker

Disassembly is pretty straight forward. I partially drove out the pins holding both the sear bar and the hammer so that only the left side could be removed. There was a burr on the sear that I stoned smooth.

Putting it back together was a little tougher. The hammer spring is pretty stout and must be compressed in order to line up the hole on the hammer. You have to compress the spring, line up the holes, and drive the pin back in all at the same time. After trying for 45 minutes, I took it to a gunsmith who put it back together in 5 minutes for $20. Well worth it.
Thanks for the feedback. I have checked Marauder and the YouTube videos. They don’t help. The Gun is used and modified, so I’m not sending to Stoeger. I will be tackling the project in the near future and let you know what happens.

This just started. On my Stoeger coach gun, pulling the left trigger does not release the hammer. With the stock removed, if the hammer is moved slightly to the rear and let back down, and then the trigger is pulled, it does release the hammer. I am guessing that there is wear on either the sear and/or the hammer and they need the be replaced. I am pretty sure I can figure out how to do it on my own but it would help to know of any shortcuts or hints or a cutaway view, not schematic. Thanks in advance.

Stoeger has a great service department.  Many time they will repair a defective or worn out gun at nor charge.  You should contact them to see if your gun is covered.

The desire to tear it down is likely putting you in the right direction, especially if you are interested in and have the aptitude to learn about the internals.

While Stoeger has a great service reputation, I'm not sure how much they will support your gun it it is slicked. Is your gun slicked? If so, the best they could do is return it to stock configuration and that may not be what you want.

Your symptom as described does suggest wear, but don't rule out gunk and dirt until you see actual worn parts.

Whatever it turns out to be, please remember a Dremel rarely helps as much as a good cleaning and proper lubrication. Or a replacement for a worn part.

4 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Stoeger has a great service department.  Many time they will repair a defective or worn out gun at nor charge.  You should contact them to see if your gun is covered.

Not so much for me.  I have contacted them three times with different issues and they have yet to offer any help, other than suggesting that I purchase a new shotgun.  Plus, I have been lucky enough to find my parts from other sources at cheaper prices than Stoeger offers.

4 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

That is unless you have made changes to it. If you send a modified gun to them they may deem it to be unsafe. I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was a post stating something like the gun was painted or something and it was unusable.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

That is unless you have made changes to it. If you send a modified gun to them they may deem it to be unsafe. I can't remember exactly what happened, but there was a post stating something like the gun was painted or something and it was unusable.

I had a Stoeger that the lug that holds the forarm on of a SXS barrel broke off and they repaired it at no charge.  That was at least 3 years ago so maybe things have changed since then.  You can't loose anything by giving them a call.  The worst they can say is no.

6 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The gun will be returned and engraved with UNSAFE GUN in many obvious places.

6 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The gun will be returned and engraved with UNSAFE GUN in many obvious places.

Yes, Chantilly Shooter had one returned by Stoeger with that written all over it. He started a thread about it in 2019ish I believe. 

26 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yes, Chantilly Shooter had one returned by Stoeger with that written all over it. He started a thread about it in 2019ish I believe. 

Did a quick search, found this:

• Fast Tracker changed the title to Re: Disassembly directions for Stoeger receiver

Archived