SASS Wire Forum

Interesting 1891 S&W Revolver

Gracos Kid

I have never seen this model of S&W .22 single shot revolver, and thought some of you might just like to view.   NOT trying to imply help with sale as I have nothing to do with it,  just to share photos of an old gun.........

Smith & Wesson Model 1891 .22 LR 1st Model For Sale Metro Atlanta | Handguns Classifieds in Georgia | The Outdoors Trader

Thanks, Alpo.....
Guess I should have called it a pistol instead of a revolver, as it can't revolve.......

I have seen, or seen pictures of, a number of single shot pistols on revolver frames.  I never had much interest in them so I can't speak from any experience.

Flayderman's (I sure miss those reference books) shows three models of this one, all in .22.

Tingle made a muzzle loading .44 on a revolver frame back in the late 60s or early 70s.  I shot one belonging to Tom Lay, a retired police lieutenant of South Gate.  Interesting gun.

After a VERY quick search I found several hundred single shot pistols but only the two I mentioned above, and a Hopkins and Allen .22 from around 1895-1905, are on revolver frames.  Most seem to be Stevens knock offs or one of a kind models.

I'm pretty sure I've seen others, but can't find them without more research.

BTW, Flayderman listed prices in his last edition (9th Edition, 2007) from $1,00.00 to $2,500.00.....and both a .22  and a.38 S&W pistol in the first model.  He wasn't far off on his prices, but that's a long time back and prices have got nuts in that time.

3 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I have one of these also, Stevens mdl 35

J. Stevens #35 Tip-Up .22 Cal. Single Shot Pistol

I had a few Stevens then I was kid and you could find then in gun shop and pawn shops for under $10.00.  I wish I had kept them.  Ugly buggers, but they shot very well.

Those old Stevens were frequently called Bicycle Pistols.  In the old days people would carry them on their bike in case they were attacked by a dog while out cycling.  Now, of course, you would wind up in jail.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Those old Stevens were frequently called Bicycle Pistols.  In the old days people would carry them on their bike in case they were attacked by a dog while out cycling.  Now, of course, you would wind up in jail.

Those Stevens .22s were also available with a detachable metal buttstock. Which made it a sawed-off rifle when that law was passed in the '30s. Skeeter Skelton used to write about shooting one in his "Me and Joe" stories.

H&R made one as well , i kick myself for not buying the one i had a chance at , webley made one too , i missed that one as well , all were apparently well respected target shooters way back when , 

Archived