SASS Wire Forum

Pickles

Alpo

If you hear someone speak of pickles. Or if, as was in that corned beef sandwich recipe, the recipe just calls for "pickles". Do you think sweet or do you think sour?

Kosher dill.  Or at least dill. I  think that is the default in receipts.  I  don't recall seeing a receipt where other types are not specified if they are to be used.  

That said,  I'll also look at the context.  I know that tuna salad will most often use sweet pickles ou sweet pickle relish even if the receipt just says relish.  The ones I've seen that use dill pickles or relish invariably specified dill pickles. 

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I know that tuna salad will most often use sweet pickles ou sweet pickle relish even if the receipt just says relish.  The ones I've seen that use dill pickles or relish invariably specified dill pickles. 

What kind of heathen combines good honest tuna with anything but garlic dills, onions and jalapeño peppers? :D 

And Mayo, of course...

Last February I tried some dill pickle spears that I found at COSTCO.  They turned out to be the best dills I have ever eaten.  The next time I stopped at COSTCO I bought a half dozen 52 oz. containers.  I recently stopped at COSTCO and they didn't carry them anymore.  I did check the Grillo's website I found that Safeway carries them.  Grillo's are made in Boston MA.  I find that most dills are too salty.  Grillo's spears aren't salty.  My next preferred dill pickle is Farman's "The King Pickle".

Don't forget what else is in that dill pickle jar.....

I put two or three tablespoons of juice in my can or mug of beer. Add a couple shakes of salt and you're good to go.

A jar of juice is excellent for soaking hard boiled eggs in, after you take the shell off of course.

There's an old Debbie Reynolds movie called SUSAN SLEPT HERE. She enjoys eating "strawberries and mixed pickles".

I've watched the movie several times. I like the movie. But I've always wondered about that "mixed pickles" thing. What exactly were mixed pickles?

She explains that her mother had a craving for them when she was pregnant, and never got over liking them. So they had them, when she was growing up, as often as they could afford them, and she got to liking them also.

And, of course, everyone thinks she's pregnant because she's eating strawberries and pickles.

Good Christmas movie. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.

When I was a kid my Mom loved “bread and butter” pickles - sweet pickles. I have never really cared for them but where my dislike came to fruition was when I moved to North Carolina. Everywhere I went if pickles were part of the recipe the pickle of choice was sweet pickles. Man, what a terrible way to make a sandwich or hamburger. I nearly threw up the first time I had a Chic-Fila sandwich. BUTTER AND SWEET  PICKLES! Blechhh!

I’ll tell you what, that experience has caused me to always ask what pickles restaurants use whenever I order anything involving pickles. I always make sure to order “dill pickles” if I am telling someone what I want on a burger or sandwich. And don’t get me started on them at crap they call “Hot Dog Relish”. No one that uses that crap can ever lecture me on using ketchup on my hotdogs. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Fried Kosher Dill Pickel Spears.  Oh YUM!!!!!!!

That reminds me.

The first time I had a breaded deep fried dill pickle in North Carolina with a nice juicy hamburger I was in heaven. :D

12 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

What kind of heathen combines good honest tuna with anything but garlic dills, onions and jalapeño peppers? :D 

And Mayo, of course...

Hmmm.....sounds pretty odd.  Maybe for a tuna, as opposed to tuna salad, sandwich.  Tuna salad is 
Tuna

Celery, minced (or celery seed)

Onion, finely minced or grated

Sweet pickle relish (OR some muffuletta or this one  OR chopped giardiniera)

Yellow Mustard 
Coleman's Dry Mustard

Mayo

Salt & Pepper to taste.

I take the Clausen Kosher Dill Stackers and I add crushed red pepper, diced red onion, ground cayenne, crushed fresh garlic, and Tapatio sauce to them!!  I let 'em soak for a few days!!  You talk about a BURGER!! I keep the slurry in the jar and add new pickles and refresh the other ingredients when my supply gets low. Corned beef travels miles to be put on one of my sandwiches and turkeys climb into the oven voluntarily on the promise of being sliced and placed on my bread!!!

I mix dill relish, sweet relish, hard boiled eggs, and chopped pickled pimentos with mayo for my tuna salad. 

The only thing a bread and butter pickle is good for is..... HELL!  I don't know!!!  Tastes like kerosene and vinegar to me!!

When I was a kid, my dad called me kid, he ate Del Monte sweet dill pickles with eggs and burgers. I loved them too. I've looked and it appears that they are no longer made by Del Monte. I even tried the following; but they were not the same. 

Texas Hill Country Sweet Dill Pickles 16oz

I'll try these next when I have enough things accumulated on Amazon for free shipping.

• Sechlers Pickle Candied Swt Dill Strip
Click image to open expanded view

Sechlers Pickle Candied Swt Dill Strip

Then, I went through a B&B phase. Now, I have a slice of cheese with a sweet pickle almost every day. I do like Polish Dills and Dills on restaurant hamburgers.

To each his or her own. I will not cast aspersions because you don't know what is good. :o:P;):ph34r:

4 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Don't forget what else is in that dill pickle jar.....

I put two or three tablespoons of juice in my can or mug of beer. Add a couple shakes of salt and you're good to go.

A jar of juice is excellent for soaking hard boiled eggs in, after you take the shell off of course.

I add beet juice to the jar for added color.

My wife likes sweet pickles.  I don't criticize her choice but don't eat them.  I prefer kosher pickles that must be refrigerated because I have a dietary restriction on salt.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Hmmm.....sounds pretty odd.  Maybe for a tuna, as opposed to tuna salad, sandwich.  Tuna salad is 
Tuna

Celery, minced (or celery seed)

Onion, finely minced or grated

Sweet pickle relish (OR some muffuletta or this one  OR chopped giardiniera)

Yellow Mustard 
Coleman's Dry Mustard

Mayo

Salt & Pepper to taste.

My version of tuna salad is what I posted. Oh yeah, I forgot the Mrs. Dash seasoning... :D 

Mustard? Really? :D 

2 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

My version of tuna salad is what I posted. Oh yeah, I forgot the Mrs. Dash seasoning... :D 

Mustard? Really? :D 

Mustard.  Really!:D 

It's what my mom did.  It is what just about every delicatessen does.  

I feel the same about jalapeño in tuna salad, Really? Jalapeño?  

2 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Joe, I've bought Mt. Olive B&B pickles. All I remember is that I told myself to not buy them again.

I haven't tried those.   I  only get B&B once a year or so.   

I used to buy Vlasic Kosher Dills.  Tried the Mt. Olive because they were on special for about 1/3 the price of Vlasic one day.  Now I only buy Vlasic if I can't find Mt. Olive. 

And whole pickles, not halves or spears. Growing up we only bought Del Monte Dill Halves.  I  tried those again about 2 years ago.   Big mistake. 

Y'all are strange.

I put apple in my tuna. Growing up, tuna salad was a way to stretch tWo 7 ounce cans of tuna fish to feed five people. Mama put in diced apple and chopped onions and chopped celery and sweet relish.

One time when she didn't have any apples she diced up some tomato and added it. That didn't work real well. Once when she didn't have celery she chopped up some lettuce. That also didn't work real well. The flavor wasn't bad, but it didn't have the right crunch.

But because I grew up on apple in my tuna fish, it just ain't tuna salad without it.

Both my daddy and my son-in-law put a little bit of yellow mustard in their tuna. I don't, but it didn't taste bad.

I love the Claussen Dills, whole half or sandwich sliced.

Dill pickle on burgers for me. I do like sweet gherkins, my wife likes B&B's. When I was canning, I made dills and made sure to put a grape leaf in each jar before sealing. My home made ones were better than anything I could buy off the shelf. Don't think I could duplicate it now, too many years and water under the bridge:rolleyes::blush:

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Y'all are strange.

Me thinks you have that backwards. ;)

Apples in tuna salad? We need a “yuck” face. :blink: this’ll do. 

I actually like sweet gherkins, and bread/butter pickles. I also like dill. Depends on what I am eating. 

I reckon there are as many preferencess as there are people. 

My most common connections are with hamburgers and cheeseburgers. For those I like dill chips. 

For hot dogs, I prefer sweet relish with yellow mustard. 

With beef stew, I'll take a dill or dill slice. 

And with a butter and lettuce sandwich, I will take Bread and Butter, what else. 

Archived