SASS Wire Forum

My New Lightning.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Well, it arrived today.   I have a new to me large frame Colt Lightning in .45-85-285.  That's basically a .45-70 with a lighter bullet to create more velocity.   This makes my Lightning collection "complete."  [Well, unless I can get a modern made one in .44 Special.  But let that go.]  It was made in 1890 according to the serial number, and is in excellent condition.   Already looking forward to using it in a side match.  Just gotta get some of the lighter bullets to load up.   My regular .45-70 cartridges with the 405 grain bullet is just a tiny bit too long to clear the loading gate.  I've been told you can run the government round safely in these guns, but that you'll get very poor accuracy as the rifling is made for a faster moving, lighter weight bullet.  In any case, it is sweet rifle, and it's a BIG one.   Just as an 86 is a bigger version of a 92, the large frame is indeed much more massive than the medium frame ones.  In fact, in doing comparison, I'd say the Lighting is, relatively, a lot more dramatic in the size difference than the lever guns are.  

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

As promised, here are some pictures.

The Rifle itslef...

2050933216_LargeLightning.thumb.JPG.ce8e70d743aacb30b7abf77ea5fd095b.JPG

Pretty, ain't it?

Here is how it compares to an 86 in 45-70.

626341142_Largeand86.thumb.JPG.45a3c8a59ce863e577b65bcb3d7b16cf.JPG

Granted the 86 has a shorter barrel, but I think you can see why I feel the Lighting is more massive when compared to the lever gun.

Here's how the Large Frame compares to a Medium Frame...

42825274_LargeandMedium.thumb.JPG.8235d787ca34059dafb6d808719a0b0c.JPG

And for contrast, an 86 and a 92 in the same caliber as the Medium Frame above...

1613365605_86and92.thumb.JPG.d7a0adfde437d963ed161f282c2c6cb8.JPG

To me, the Large Frame Lighting just seems to be a bit larger proportionally than the Medium frame than the 86 does to the 92.   I didn't do a pic to pic comparison  of the Medium to the 92, but I wish I had.  Maybe the 92 is a bit larger than the Medium Frame Lightning.   Yes, I know the simple solution, but I already put the guns away and am feeling lazy.  

Finally, here are all my Lightnings together, from largest to smallest...

Lightings.thumb.JPG.479dba00c89473886cf5c0281fd8ccb9.JPG

Colt Large Frame .45-85
AWA Medium Frame .45 Colt

Colt Medium Frame .44-40.  Costa Rican army surplus.  Anyone have a bayonet for it they'd be willing to part with?
AWA Medium Frame .44-40

Colt Medium Frame .32-20
Colt Small Frame .22 Long

AWA Lighting Bolt .45 Colt.

And so the Lightning Collection is completed, unless I can get a modern one in .44 Special.   Probably a Pedersoli.  I may have to contact Lassiter...

Anyone else find all of this interesting?

12 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Nice looking rifle. Why not get some 300 gr bullets and trim the 45 70 case a couple of thousandths?

The plan all along has been to get some 300 grain bullets.    Buffalo Arms carries them, but is currently out of stock.   I hope to find some locally, but well, most places that sell bullets have limited inventory at the moment.   As soon as I can find some smaller bullets, I will work up some ammo for this gun.

I am SO looking forward to making it go boom.  

26 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The plan all along has been to get some 300 grain bullets.    Buffalo Arms carries them, but is currently out of stock.   I hope to find some locally, but well, most places that sell bullets have limited inventory at the moment.   As soon as I can find some smaller bullets, I will work up some ammo for this gun.

I am SO looking forward to making it go boom.  

Look at Chey Cast.  .458 RNFP 300 gr. coated @ 250 for $58.00

H. K. Uriah....

Well, I'll trade you my first born for it, or my house... and maybe my house and my trailer. Err ahh - just sayin' !!

Congrats on a super find!!!!!

Very jealous,

RR

Archived