SASS Wire Forum

Round balls

doc roy l. pain

I have never had any problems melting battery clamps. They are just soft lead as near as I can tell. Never melted any battery posts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clamps are part of the wiring.  They are usually soft.

Battery posts and plates and grids and interconnect bars - all now are Calcium hardened lead since it works better in acid.

Folks should not use parts from auto batteries.  Clamps are fine.

Good luck, GJ

10 hours ago, meesterpaul said:

I can get a lot more weight than normal in a small flat rate box

we just need to get this guy an ingot mold the same dimensions as a flat rate shipping box...

Best lead ingot sizes are those that will fit in a commercial casting furnace, as well shipping well.   "Muffins" fit the RCBS, Lyman and Lee furnaces fine, but any bigger size would not.  An ingot that fills even a small FRB would make the consumer have to cut up the ingot before they can add it to a pot.  And slicing fairly soft lead with a saw is not simple (the teeth gum up).

I've seen a couple of lead suppliers who have a rectangular mold to cast 8 ingots that just fit into a small FRB.  That works real well. 

good luck, GJ

Looks like the medium flat rate box measures 11-1/4" x 8-3/4" x 6" and cost $15.05.  Restricted to 70 lb max.  Lead at .406lb/in2 the box would hold 240lb if one solid block (rounded down).  Therefore,  shape wouldn't mater much if restrained to 70 lbs.

https://www.stamps.com/usps/priority-mail-flat-rate/

On 1/9/2021 at 9:24 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Round Balls are super easy to cast .... and Lee makes molds that are cheap to buy ....

Jabez Cowboy

Lee 4lb pot runs $40.  Lee round ball molds run $20.  Lead goes for free to about $1 per pound.  One lb make about forty-six .45 cal round balls. At $10/100, the break even is 750 balls if you pay $1/lb for lead and 600 balls if lead is free.

My Nephew Called and asked could I use about 600 pounds of rolled sheet lead that he found in the dumpster on a job site he was working at , I told him YES ... 

He said Good , it's in the truck will see you in a couple days, He and his family were coming for a family get together , this was pre COVID ....

So I didn't even have to help unload it as 4 or 5 young bucks , including two of my sons had it out , before I was finished hugging His family coming in the door ...

So added to my 400 pounds I already had ..... thats a lot of Round Balls ...

I also have several hundred pounds of 1-22 tin , lead alloy, for bullets mostly used for long range in my .40-65  High-wall ...

That is a Great Nephew to have Me thinks !!!

Jabez Cowboy 

Molds made for a Small Flat Rate box. I have a few and they work great.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?393253-VS-WTS-Redneck-Gold-amp-Cast-Boolits-4-tray-Ingot-molds

You want some fun use Springfield Slim's .450 lead FPRN bullets in your Old Army.  I can get under 3" at 50 yards with 75 year old eyes using fixed sighted guns.  They shoot better than a conversion cylinder in my guns.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:48 AM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Molds made for a Small Flat Rate box. I have a few and they work great.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?393253-VS-WTS-Redneck-Gold-amp-Cast-Boolits-4-tray-Ingot-molds

Great molds! I have an awful lot of lead to process - including a couple thousand pounds of linotype muffins. I made molds using iron C-channel to deal with the volume but those are fun.

Archived