SASS Wire Forum

Hammer safety on opentop

Rafe Conager SASS #56958

So the hammer safety screw on my opentop loosened up today causing me 3 misses,  it's the screw that keeps the safety from falling down to prevent the firing pin from contacting the primer. My question, can I just take that safety off and leave it off? Will removal cause any issues with the hammer or firing pin.? 

Rafe 

Just now, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

So the hammer safety screw on my opentop loosened up today causing me 3 misses,  it's the screw that keeps the safety from falling down to prevent the firing pin from contacting the primer. My question, can I just take that safety off and leave it off? Will removal cause any issues with the hammer or firing pin.? 

Rafe 

I removed them from my open tops because they kept causing problems. Since removal no more problem.

Didn't fill it with anything. Just removed the screw and half moon piece of metal,

In my case the %$#@ thing would rotate into the safety position as I was shooting and cause misses.  

I am told that the new .380 1862 conversion has the new retractable firing pin safety.  So I'm guessing we might start seeing that one on the OT's and conversions.  At least they will still have the same number of clicks.  :)

So I pulled the hammer safety out of one of my opentops, when I got the 1/2 moon safety out a very small screw fell out! Any idea what this is or what it does? Does it have any purpose? Do I need to have it in somewhere?

Rafe 

Follow up I doesn't have threads, upon further inspection it looks more like a pin but with a head on it. I looks at the 1/2 moon safety it does not have a hole in it except where the hammer screw that holds it into the hammer is.

HI Rafe  ^_^

Not a screw.  Very small spring and plunger.  There is a detent on the back of the safety piece it fits into to hold the safety in place.  Sometime it does, sometime it doesn't (mostly doesn't).

PLUS ONE for Abilene Slim.  Take the safety apart, clean it and the slot thoroughly with Alcohol, coat with JB Weld, put it back together to cure over night. The slot looks really hokey without the little safety piece in there. 

Hi Rafe

Your not looking for a "hole" in the back of the safety.  It's just a small little divot.  There is suppose to be a tiny spring in the hole in the hammer, then the "pin" you have, then the safety piece itself,  Then there is a transverse screw through the hammer and safety piece that holds it all together.  Either the tiny spring is missing, or fell out and you didn't see it (now lost).  Doesn't matter.  Clean the whole thing up with Alcohol, slather the parts in JB Weld, stuff it together, snug up the screw and let it sit overnight.  Done.

I take the little half moon piece out , put the little transverse screw back in place and fill the void with silver solder ...

Dab a little blueing on the solder, call it good keeps the hammer weight to about the Same as before .

Jabez Cowboy

Archived