SASS Wire Forum

Winchester '97s

Dantankerous

Not exactly certain where to post this topic but I'll do it here because it involves CAS guns...

At a local gun store today I saw 5 Winchester 97s for sale. Consignment sales, all. Price was $700 each and they were well used! Wow!

I think the last time I saw used Winchester 97s for sale at a local gun store they were $175 apiece.

When I was in the gun shop a couple of days ago, they had zero used shotguns on the shelf.  They said they had not had one come in for consignment in several weeks.  The only thing they had on the shelf were high end over-unders.  This isn't a small Mom and Pop, it is a rather large shop.  They had 10 new ARs come in the day before and all were gone.  Just part of the rush going on right now.

Just look at some of the winning bids on gunbroker. It’s not any specific type of firearm, but all the winning bids are probably up 30% over what they were selling for as little as 90 days ago. I’ve been monitoring several different rifles over the last few months and guns that were selling for around $600 the first of September are now bringing $900+

30% is a conservative estimate.

I've seen bidding go well past double what a "normal" price should be.

I ain't buyin' into that neither.

Hurts though.

HOWDY;  90 days back I sold a perfect rebluded full length 97 for 750 Canadian, took 24 hours to sell. Auctions sites are selling 97 used loss of blueing , worn, for 475 to 900 for good ones. Collectors I believe as there is not that many new cowboys. We have a small market compared to the interest down south of the border.

Dantankerous  :o

Absolutely.  A good while back, I can remember Gun Shows where '97s were anywhere from $75 (Worn looking) to $150 for real nice ones.  Some New, Old Stock guns were $250.  Then SASS shooters got interested.  Through the roof.

I have never thought there were "Collectors" of '97s.  There were a Million and a Half of them manufactured.  There are probably still a Million dusty in the back of closets.

PS:  Never thought of '97s as "Cowboy" even when I shot 'em.  Hammer Doubles is where it's at. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

.. Never thought of '97s as "Cowboy" even when I shot 'em.  Hammer Doubles is where it's at. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more though the '87 is too much fun itsownself. B)

Archived