SASS Wire Forum

Read The Captions

Subdeacon Joe

See how happy snow makes people???

:D

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Only those that do not have to shovel it. 

Perhaps I am not normal but I LOVE shoveling snow. Always have. Snow is my favorite winter event. :D

On 1/9/2021 at 12:57 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I do have a question.  Are the tangerines, oranges, soup, feast etc, part if a folk ritual for bringing in the New Year or are they just doing it for the song?

20 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I do have a question.  Are the tangerines, oranges, soup, feast etc, part if a folk ritual for bringing in the New Year or are they just doing it for the song?

A well laden table is traditional for New Years.  Breads, sour pickles, sliced (or whole) oranges and/or tangerines, caviar, fish, roast meat.  Soup wouldn't be out of place.

New Year Celebration With Traditional Russian Feast At Big Table. Stock  Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 24885523.

Happy Soviet New Year's Eve | New years eve dinner, Russian recipes, Food  to make

Apparently one of the favored salads is:

Olivier Salad

Olivier Salad

There really isn’t a food more synonymous with New Year than this sinfully rich salad. But the weird thing is that it isn’t actually salad. It’s more like a roast dinner chopped into minuscule pieces and then mixed all together. Inside you’ll find potatoes, carrots, peas, ham, pickles, eggs and a whole jar of mayo (literally) – you can also add small bits of apple to give it a sweet and sour bite! 

10 portions

Ingredients:
7 medium, boiled potatoes
5 boiled carrots
6 pickled cucumbers
1 can of green peas
6 boiled eggs (replace with tofu for plant-based version)
300 g of preferred cured or boiled meat (replace with vegan ham slices for plant-based version)
100 g sour cream
200 g mayonnaise

Method:
Finely chop all the boiled vegetables, eggs and meat into small cubes. Pour into a large bowl (or bucket!) and mix in all the other ingredients. Add salt to taste.

Absolutely delightful to see happiness expressed so well.  And the meal looks extremely inviting.  YUM :-)  And the young ladies are very attractive. :-)

A happy New Year to them.

STL Suomi

Archived