SASS Wire Forum

It's SOS Saturday!!

Utah Bob #35998

My old dear friend and honorary Big Sister Dona "Doxna" Johnson used to host occasional SOS dinners...  :)

I never missed one~!   ^_^

The wine pairing was always a challenge.  :rolleyes:

First time I ever had it was at my aunts house in PA. I was  4-5 yrs old. I’ve liked it ever since. I haven’t had it in a long time. 

Good stuff there.

Now I'm hungry. Again.

The Air Force served great SOS. So did the D.C. Department of Corrections where I worked for 27 years + after the AF. Our prison mess stewards were nearly all retired military mess sergeants who used the military master menus,  and they taught the inmate cooks how to make it just like they did. It was ALL good, no matter which institution served it.

This thread motivated me to make our own version of SOS.

1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey

8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced

3 stalks green onions cleaned and chopped

2 small sprigs of parsley, finely chopped

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup

8 ounces sour cream

Salt and pepper to taste

You can serve this over rice, noodles or toast.  Whatever is your fancy. 

Saute mushrooms and green onions until mushrooms are soft.  Set aside.  Brown turkey with salt and pepper.  Add mushrooms onion mix, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups to browned turkey.  Stir until thoroughly blended, then simmer for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat and add sour cream, mixing thoroughly.  Serve over your item of choice immediately, garnished with parsley.

7 hours ago, Hill Beachy, SASS #5327 said:

I don't recall it being served on such a fancy plate though.  Need to get you some plastic or metal trays. 

I considered using a mess kit. But I don’t have a clean one. :D

26 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Armour sliced dried beef.

It's on the canned meat aisle.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=armor+sliced+dried+beef&t=fpas&iax=images&ia=images

You can also get it frozen.

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My old dear friend and honorary Big Sister Dona "Doxna" Johnson used to host occasional SOS dinners...  :)

I never missed one~!   ^_^

The wine pairing was always a challenge.  :rolleyes:

Carlo Rossi Burgundy.   Or, if in the era I suspect,  Red Mountain Burgundy. 

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Doesn't that make it more authentic? :D

Typhus is also authentic but..........

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Excerpt from Manual for Army Cooks | Olives-n-Okra

That’s reeeally old school! 

I like this one.

https://quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/Operations_Directorate/QUAD/Menu/recipes/section_l/L03000.pdf

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Or the cheapest thing on the shelf at the Class 6 store. :lol:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s reeeally old school! 

I think that was the 1920 version. 

It just hit me that was over 100 years ago.   Sometimes having a long view of things will kind of trip me up.  I  usually think of 100 years ago as "only a hundred years ago, " not all that long ago.  Or I marvel at some dish from Europe can be called traditional when it uses potatoes, tomatoes, or maize (corn), then realize that 400 years really is long enough to make a food traditional. 

I use to make chip beef on toast about every Sunday morning.   Then I got to making sausage gravy on biscuits because for some reason the stores were often out of dried beef.  But I've been struggling with my blood sugar levels so I've had to give up a lot of carbs. 

I did see that stuff, a lot, while in the military. Some of it was being served in the mess hall...and I saw similar stuff in the head. Maybe that's why it never appealed to me. 

Many loved it...and, hey, that is just fine.

I will admit, that some of the rations (I think they call them M.R.E.'s in today's military) we got, looked worse than S.O.a.S. 

Seeing this does bring back some memories, for sure....try as I may to forget them.

54 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I did see that stuff, a lot, while in the military. Some of it was being served in the mess hall...and I saw similar stuff in the head. Maybe that's why it never appealed to me. 

Many loved it...and, hey, that is just fine.

I will admit, that some of the rations (I think they call them M.R.E.'s in today's military) we got, looked worse than S.O.a.S. 

Seeing this does bring back some memories, for sure....try as I may to forget them.

A guy that had been in the Navy overheard me talking about S.O.S. at work.  He chimed in and said he wished he could make some. It's very simple.  I gave him the recipe.   Some time later he came to me and thanked me for the recipe. He sure enjoyed it. 

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's all my father drank, Carlo Rossi Burgundy!! I still buy it now and then. Good stuff. California wine!

8 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......, er, ... please excuse my antipodian iggerence, ........ but whot do this 'tic'lar SOS actually stand for ????   :blush:

S*** On a Shingle 

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've had expensive "award winning" wines that are a lot worse.  

Wine taste is subjective.

If it tastes good to you it's a good wine, regardless of cost.

23 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Wine taste is subjective.

If it tastes good to you it's a good wine, regardless of cost.

Exactly.   One time someone was going on about a $40/bottle Alexander Valley red, so I set up a tasting of that,  the same variety from Barefoot Cellar,  about $10/bottle,  and a Carlo Rossi red. The person ranked them Barefoot,  Rossi,  and the AV.  

Archived