SASS Wire Forum

I fell for another one

Utah Bob #35998

Clickbait!

I saw this headline and immediately went to it.

Experts Unraveled The Mystery Of A Lost WWII Submarine – And Its 80 Vanished Crew Members

And the first pic (besides the dozens of ads) was......:rolleyes:

sub.png

Needless to say I went no further. :angry:

10 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Look at the credit for the photo for one. Plus, it looks like a red star on the front of the sail.:blink::rolleyes::blush:

Can't find the sail, but for sure it isn't a WW II sub. 

Judging from the lines, the number 0n the sail (how do they furl the sail on a submarine?), and some of the construction details, I think that is the Князь Владимир, a Borei-class boat launched in 2017.  Russian, not Soviet.   

I'll usually open stuff like that because every once in a while there is one that isn't click-bait.

7 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Plus, it looks like a red star on the front of the sail

The "coat of arms" on the front of the sail identifies it as Russian. By tradition each Russian boat has had it's coat of arms painted there (look at photos of the Kursk being raised). Currently the Russians have changed policy and are painting over these and any numbers on the sail as it makes the individual boats more easily identifiable.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

I don't care what navy that "boat" belonged to, it is not a WWII sub.  Shape of hull is modern, no deck guns or "flying bridge" platforms on the sail. 

Ya think? :lol::D

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is one big sub.

Agree, I have never had the opportunity to see one in person, but with people on board for comparison that's one big ship.

15 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

557 ft 9 inches in length. Just a little longer than those tin cans you used to ride in. ;)

My ship was technically a League Destroyer at 565' long. That is definitely a big sub.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My ship was technically a League Destroyer

Educate me I don't remember hearing of that class before. I remember that the destroyer class got really muddy with advent of Guided Missile Cruisers. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Educate me I don't remember hearing of that class before. I remember that the destroyer class got really muddy with advent of Guided Missile Cruisers. 

My ship was designated CGN-38. Guided Missile Nuclear Cruiser. When it was commissioned is was designated DLGN-38. League Destroyer Guided Missile Nuclear Powered Cruiser. Jimmy Carter had it classed as a cruiser to increase our cruiser numbers because the Soviets had more cruisers than we did. 

It was explained to me that the ship was originally a League Destroyer because it had 2 gun mounts, 2 missile launchers as well as Harpoon missiles and 2 torpedo tubes but it was shorter than a traditional Cruiser. This weaponry was more in line with a Cruiser so Carter redesignated it. 

Archived