SASS Wire Forum

Dinner Last Night

Yul Lose

Made some crockpot ciappino (fisherman’s stew) for dinner last night. Followed the recipe pretty much except for using a crockpot instead of the big pot on the stove. Crab, mussels, scallops, shrimp and halibut. I used Rotello tomatoes in place of the tomatoes they called for. I also used clam juice as part of the liquid. I thought it was good but Mrs Lose thought it was a little to spicey. Lots left over.

EBB4B3C9-C465-40D7-9F8C-4B76AB80D361.jpeg

078B00B0-485E-440A-896A-9D2EF8C4876C.png

That looks absolutely delicious.  A good piece of artisan bread and a bowl of that would make an outstanding hearty breakfast or any meal for that matter.

STL Suomi

3 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

It would be a good place to hide some Brussels sprouts :D

That might have ruined it.

I have no idea what happened to my food preferences, but I have a very limited range of seafood that I will even go near; I don't even care for the aroma of cooking fish.  Here I sit, in the most abundent seafood locale on the East coast, and I will not touch lobster, clams, mussels, oysters, octopus, conch, or most fin fish.   If I'm fortunate to catch some fluke early in the morning, I'll zip back to the cottage, filet it, roll it in egg and bread crumbs, and pan fry it in butter; can't get enough of it for breakfast.  I'll grill marinated striper, as well as blues, but in limited amounts.  Ironically, I love smoked eel - tastes like cornish game hens to me.  I also like smoked snapper blues - mmmm.  But I'm afraid that fish stew holds no allure for me.

Most important condition for me is that the fish be absolutely fresh - right off my boat.  

LL

17 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I have no idea what happened to my food preferences, but I have a very limited range of seafood that I will even go near; I don't even care for the aroma of cooking fish.  Here I sit, in the most abundent seafood locale on the East coast, and I will not touch lobster, clams, mussels, oysters, octopus, conch, or most fin fish.   If I'm fortunate to catch some fluke early in the morning, I'll zip back to the cottage, filet it, roll it in egg and bread crumbs, and pan fry it in butter; can't get enough of it for breakfast.  I'll grill marinated striper, as well as blues, but in limited amounts.  Ironically, I love smoked eel - tastes like cornish game hens to me.  I also like smoked snapper blues - mmmm.  But I'm afraid that fish stew holds no allure for me.

Most important condition for me is that the fish be absolutely fresh - right off my boat.  

LL

I’ve got a grand daughter much the same. The smell of it cooking makes her ill.

I dearly love seafood and Cioppino is one of my favorites. 

Unfortunately, I have gout. It took me a long time to figure out what causes my flare ups. It turns out that it’s seafood. All seafood. I can’t even eat salmon any more. :angry:

I discovered Cioppino in North Carolina at an Italian restaurant in Harrisburg NC. Wonderful stew. When I moved to Sacramento I had it in a couple of places but believe it or not Trader Joe’s has a frozen Cioppino that is pretty good. We also found a company out of San Francisco, where Cioppino originated, by the way, that made fresh Cioppino then froze and distributed it around the area. We found this Cioppino at Winco, of all places. Very good stuff. Unfortunately that company either stopped selling it or went out of business. 

Fresh Cioppino with fresh sour dough or heavy white bread is a fantastic meal. 

Color me envious. :)

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I will not touch lobster, clams, mussels, oysters, octopus, conch, or most fin fish.   

Did you accidentally leave shrimp out of your list, or do you still eat shrimp, or maybe do they not have fresh shrimp that far north?

I'm not a big fish eater (and I live on the Gulf). I don't really like fin fish - salt or fresh. I've tried lobster, clams and octopus. None of the three impressed me. Crab is just nasty. I had what they claimed to be conch at a restaurant in Key West. Greasy little pieces of fried something.

But shrimp and oysters are about the best things that ever came out of the ocean.

And on the subject of seafood, a couple of thoughts. Lobster tasted like shrimp flavored rubber. I've been told the reason it had a rubbery texture was because it was overcooked. Maybe. But even if it had not been rubbery it tasted like shrimp. And shrimp was about a third of the price. So why pay the extra money? Just eat shrimp. I've had caviar. Twice. Tasted just like sardines. $5 a pound for fish eggs versus $0.40 a can for sardines. Don't see the attraction.

Maybe I'm just cheap.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Did you accidentally leave shrimp out of your list, or do you still eat shrimp, or maybe do they not have fresh shrimp that far north?

I'm not a big fish eater (and I live on the Gulf). I don't really like fin fish - salt or fresh. I've tried lobster, clams and octopus. None of the three impressed me. Crab is just nasty. I had what they claimed to be conch at a restaurant in Key West. Greasy little pieces of fried something.

But shrimp and oysters are about the best things that ever came out of the ocean.

And on the subject of seafood, a couple of thoughts. Lobster tasted like shrimp flavored rubber. I've been told the reason it had a rubbery texture was because it was overcooked. Maybe. But even if it had not been rubbery it tasted like shrimp. And shrimp was about a third of the price. So why pay the extra money? Just eat shrimp. I've had caviar. Twice. Tasted just like sardines. $5 a pound for fish eggs versus $0.40 a can for sardines. Don't see the attraction.

Maybe I'm just cheap.

Scallops!  You forgot scallops!     Mmmmmm, I love scallops.

Hey, I can add some to my next clam chowder lash up.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Maybe I'm just cheap.

I left out shrimp because I do eat shrimp cocktail; the shrimp are merely a vehicle for the cocktail sauce, and I love anything with horseradish sauce in it.  I wasn't really thinking freshwater - I do eat fried trout, but that's about it.

I agree with your assessment of crab.  My first taste of lobster was at a Tip O'Neill fundraiser on a pier in Boston; cold, rubbery crustacean served in the putrid atmosphere of low tide in Boston Harbor.  Ruined lobster for me for life.  And you are right about overcooking it.

If you have seen a live conch (the slug, not the shell) you probably don't find yourself yearning for a taste.

PS: Live lobsters can be great entertainment.  We have a get together on the Cape every summer, with 30-40 people.  We set up a kiddie pool filled with seawater, and dump in a crowd of live lobsters. When a small kid tries to play with them, they get all agitated, raise their front legs and claws, and run across the pool, clattering like Carmen Miranda with her maracas.  Sends the kids running for Mommy!  (Now I suppose that I'll hear from PETA, or from some child welfare drone who thinks that my neices and nephews have been traumatized by exposure to dangerous wildlife....)

LL

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Scallops!  You forgot scallops!mI love scallops

Kind of strange when you think about it, since St. Joe Bay (which is about 30 miles away) is reputed to have the best scallops in the southeast. But I've never eaten any.

4 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

It would be a good place to hide some Brussels sprouts :D

What a nasty thing to say!

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

HUH!  "Good" and "Brussel sprouts" in the same sentence.  Inconceivable.

Truth!

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

HUH!  "Good" and "Brussel sprouts" in the same sentence.  Inconceivable.

Proper English grammar always did trip me up. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Kind of strange when you think about it, since St. Joe Bay (which is about 30 miles away) is reputed to have the best scallops in the southeast. But I've never eaten any.

That was to be one of the worst cases of self-abuse I've ever heard of.

I did have a scallop dish at a Chinese restaurant one time. But I've been told that most of scallops you get in the restaurant came out of a ray fin with a cookie cutter.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I did have a scallop dish at a Chinese restaurant one time. But I've been told that most of scallops you get in the restaurant came out of a ray fin with a cookie cutter.

I do believe you have been told wrong.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I dearly love seafood and Cioppino is one of my favorites. 

Unfortunately, I have gout. It took me a long time to figure out what causes my flare ups. It turns out that it’s seafood. All seafood. I can’t even eat salmon any more. :angry:

I discovered Cioppino in North Carolina at an Italian restaurant in Harrisburg NC. Wonderful stew. When I moved to Sacramento I had it in a couple of places but believe it or not Trader Joe’s has a frozen Cioppino that is pretty good. We also found a company out of San Francisco, where Cioppino originated, by the way, that made fresh Cioppino then froze and distributed it around the area. We found this Cioppino at Winco, of all places. Very good stuff. Unfortunately that company either stopped selling it or went out of business. 

Fresh Cioppino with fresh sour dough or heavy white bread is a fantastic meal. 

Color me envious. :)

I love Cioppino.  There is an Italian restaurant on Hegenberger Rd in Oakland CA.  It has been there for years.  Their Cioppino is great.  Their Oso Buco is to die for.  That is one of the things I've missed after I retired to the Oasis of NV.  I worked one city south in San Leandro for 34 years.

P.S. Before the Oakland Raiders became the Oakland Traitors you would see players & coaches dinning there.

9 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I like every kind of seafood, except sea urchin and sea cucumber.

Reminds me of a coworker who was a immigrant from Taiwan.  He always brought lunch from home to heat in a microwave in the break room.  Occasionally one entree was sea cucumber which didn't smell too appetizing.

Archived