SASS Wire Forum

RIP Tommy Lasorda

Never Like the Dodgers but if you are a baseball fan, you couldn’t dislike Tommy. RIP.

I will never forget Tommy's reaction when Kirk Gibson, with the Dodgers behind, in game one of the World Series, in the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs, and the call on Gibson being 2 strikes and 3 balls, Kirk hit a game winning home run against the Oakland A's. Gibson was injured, and had not started that game, but Tommy put him in, as a pinch hitter, with one run on first base. If you haven't seen it, go to you-tube, and it is there to savor again.

Would that we all had that kind of enthusiasm, in our lives, that Tommy did. 

I won't say goodbye...I will just say: I'll see you later. 

W.K.   

I was born and raised in Pueblo, Colorado. In the 1940s and 50s, Pueblo had a minor league Dodgers farm club, the Pueblo Dodgers, playing at Runyon Field, named after Damon Runyon (Guys and Dolls), another famous Pueblo escapee.

Lasorda was assigned to be manager, maybe, or coach or  player for the Pueblo Dodgers for a VERY short time in his career, like maybe a week, before the  Dodgers sent him someplace else.  I cannot find any reference to his affiliation with the Pueblo club online.  If anyone can provide a reference linking Tommy with the Pueblo Dodgers, I would be grateful.

Archived