SASS Wire Forum

A Cowboy Riding an Indian.

Raylan

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

That must have been an awfully tight hat to stay on his head with no stampede strings.

Look very closely. He isn't moving. His right foot is on the ground. You can see the shadow of his boot heel.. Look at his right leg. It's angled differently from his left leg.

5 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

That must have been an awfully tight hat to stay on his head with no stampede strings.

When did they / you start calling a hat thong or strap a "stampede string"?  I never heard that term until I joined SASS in 1993.

It's like "wild rags".  We called them bandanas or scarves. Neckerchiefs was a sissy term used by the kids for back east who came out to Utah to go to college.

We also wore Levis denim "jumpers", now called truckers jackets or just plain denim jackets.

And don't even get me started on "chinks".  Those were used by blacksmiths and horse shoers, not by cowboys.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Neckerchiefs was a sissy term used by the kids for back east who came out to Utah to go to college.

I beg to differ with you on this one. A neckerchief was a term used for a piece of the official Boy Scout uniform since 1910. I wore one proudly for many many years. Back me up on this one Hardpan.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I beg to differ with you on this one. A neckerchief was a term used for a piece of the official Boy Scout uniform since 1910. I wore one proudly for many many years. Back me up on this one Hardpan.

Yup, I remember those days in the Scouts!

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Look very closely. He isn't moving. His right foot is on the ground. You can see the shadow of his boot heel.. Look at his right leg. It's angled differently from his left leg.

You mean “He isn’t moving fast.”  He probably had to flintstone because the Indian broke again.

My dad was an Oklahoma cowboy.

Horses and motorcycles.

I have some teenage years photos. (early 1940s)

Here is one of dad and one of his working horses.

Then there is his 4 cylinder Indian.

Then there is dad on the Indian tearing up the yard back of the barn.

I remember a lot of full dress Harleys. (this is the last big bike I remember him having. 1963)

dad1a.jpg

dad17b.jpg

dad18.jpg

dad21.jpg

7 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Yer darn' tootin' Boy Scouts wear neckerchiefs~!!   cowboy.gif

557464552_RodandhisEagle.jpg.4c627cff2b0e17cd4bd291ad1a24889d.jpg                  2068397440_RodCommish.jpg.0abff707ce927c8d38bf6dc9a6201c32.jpg

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

My dad was an Oklahoma cowboy.

Horses and motorcycles.

I have some teenage years photos. (early 1940s)

Here is one of dad and one of his working horses.

Then there is his 4 cylinder Indian.

Then there is dad on the Indian tearing up the yard back of the barn.

I remember a lot of full dress Harleys. (this is the last big bike I remember him having. 1963)

dad1a.jpg

dad17b.jpg

dad18.jpg

dad21.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

My dad in 1946.  His birthday was December 7.  He went down to the recruiting office on December 8, 1941, but they would not let him enlist because he had just turned 16.  On the day of his 17th birthday, December 7, 1942, he joined the Navy.  He bought the motorcycle with money he had saved while serving in the Pacific.  He was not yet 21 in the photo.  This was Indian's brand new model for 1946.  It was the first one without the leaf springs in the front.

P.S.  He was an Indian on an Indian.  He was born and raised on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota.

img001.jpeg

20 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

My apologies, Mr. Forty Rod, if I stepped on one of your toes.

Not a problem.  I have a lot more toes.  I just never heard these terms used until the last thirty years or so.  it's like an entirely different language....sort like Australian.  (Bet I catch a piece of hell from Jack for that.)

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Not a problem.  I have a lot more toes.  I just never heard these terms used until the last thirty years or so.  it's like an entirely different language....sort like Australian.  (Bet I catch a piece of hell from Jack for that.)

.................................... and here it is ...... HELL!

:ph34r:

:P

Archived