SASS Wire Forum

Pink Dixie Cups, USN WWII - image fixed

Subdeacon Joe

Just spit balling here. :rolleyes:

Looking closely at the screen grab my guess is they are wearing the red covers to differentiate themselves from the rest of the ships crew as part of a shipboard training exercise. Maybe they are causalities???

Notice some of the individuals in the Lower left are wearing OBAs

The group with the pink covers are all wearing some sort of bulky canvas thing tied around their waist. I don't think it is a life preserver as I have never seen one worn about the waist and couldn't find pictures of any on the interwebs. I see others wearing period correct life jackets.

Did you notice the sailor with the M1903?

44 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Just spit balling here. :rolleyes:

Looking closely at the screen grab my guess is they are wearing the red covers to differentiate themselves from the rest of the ships crew as part of a shipboard training exercise. Maybe they are causalities???

Notice some of the individuals in the Lower left are wearing OBAs

The group with the pink covers are all wearing some sort of bulky canvas thing tied around their waist. I don't think it is a life preserver as I have never seen one worn about the waist and couldn't find pictures of any on the interwebs. I see others wearing period correct life jackets.

Did you notice the sailor with the M1903?

I agree Dave. I’m also guessing it was a training exercise based on the variety of things being worn, which might explain the marine with the backpack and rifle aboard ship. 

There was in fact an inflatable flotation belt worn around the waist that was common during the war. It appears the pink-covered boys are wearing them in various states of inflation. I don’t see them on anyone else. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30016258

Interesting. I can see the photo this morning. I would say that the guys in, Ahem...light red covers...are part of the flight crew. 

38 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I'm not certain, but could this be the waist-style life preserver that some of the men on deck are wearing?

https://www.captainjacksmilitaria.com/index.php?page=ww2-u-s-navy-life-preserver

LL

That is exactly what they are.

The Navy phased them out after finding upside down drowned sailors after accidents and sinkings.

In 1967 there was a PBYon Okinawa.  It was an amphibious model and was owned by an Aussie commercial company.  I have no idea what their real mission was, but they brought a lot of fresh seafood in for the exchanges and commissaries.  

I went down to Naha civilian port on several trips and eventually coaxed one of the crew members into asking the pilot if I could snag even a very short ride in the plane.  I finally got to ride on a thirty minute "check flight".  Noisiest thing I ever rode in, but the view from the starboard blister was  grand experience.  You could see almost every direction from there.

That, and a ride in a Kaman "eggbeater" at Ton Son Nhut, are my best airplane memories.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is exactly what they are.

The Navy phased them out after finding upside down drowned sailors after accidents and sinkings.

Yup.

When I learned to water ski back in the mid '60s, the standard accoutrement was a ski belt that worked the same way. I noticed when waiting in the water I had to constantly move my arms to keep from going face down. Figured I'd be a dead duck if I was ever unconscious.  Oh well, they're handy for dragging the body into the boat.

Archived