SASS Wire Forum

L.C. Smith 16 Gauge

X Mark

I am looking for information on an older L.C. Smith 16 ga. shotgun .

I was told that this gun uses 2 1/2"  shells which , it seems , are scarcer than hens teeth.

Are there any L.C. Smith buffs out there that could enlighten me on this ?

The gun is a Field Grade with a serial number 185160 which ,I think , was made in 1940 .

It has no gauge markings or shell size that I found .

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

X   Mark

1940 should be good for 2 3/4" shells, they were common by that time.

Way back when dad had Browning with 2 9/16" chambering. He had a gunsmith ream it out to 2 3/4".  No big deal.

BS

I have a couple of 2 1/2" chambered 16ga shotguns. You can check the chamber length with a chamber gauge ( Brownels # 080-546-016WB ) If it doesn't go in to the 2 9-16 mark it's 2 1/2" I have bought shells from RST 16 Gauge (rstshells.com , than reloaded them on a MEC Sizemaster with a short kit Short Kit (mecoutdoors.com) You might check here for the age of your LC The L.C. Smith Collectors Association 

I was told that this gun uses 2 1/2"  shells which , it seems , are scarcer than hens teeth.

Are there any L.C. Smith buffs out there that could enlighten me on this ?

Have a LC Smith, 12ga pre WWII = 2 3/4"

Also a Fox Sterlingworth, 16ga pre WWII = 2 3/4"

Length of chamber is easy to determine ... use a caliper or magic mark a 2 3/4" loaded round and if the end is scraped = 2 1/2" ... or

run a chamber gauge into the bores ....   https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/measuring-tools/shotgun-chamber-gauges/shotgun-chamber-gauge-prod593.aspx

I shoot a Hammered L.C. Smith 16 ga. gun  for CAS ....

Fine handling gun , jumps to the shoulder pointed on target ....

It has some minor Scratching ( engraving ) on the metal work and the screws are all "timed" ...

Jabez Cowboy

7 hours ago, John Boy said:

Length of chamber is easy to determine ... use a caliper or magic mark a 2 3/4" loaded round and if the end is scraped = 2 1/2"

Does that work?  I thought the chambers had to be longer than the loaded shells because when they are fired they open up and if they're not allowed to open up fully it'll cause pressure issues. 

Archived