SASS Wire Forum

Clam chowder....my way

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

One can Progresso New England clam chowder

1/4 cup chopped pre-cooked crab meat.

1/2 tablespoon bacon bits...and up to a teaspoon of bacon fat if there's any left.

1 teaspoon Gulden's spicy mustard.

A dash or two of Tabasco sauce, the original red stuff, not the weak-kneed green.

A dash or two of Lawry's seasoned salt.

Heat it up, stirring all the while.

Dump it in a bowl or cup, add some ground black pepper if you'd like, and top it all with extra sharp cheddar cheese to your liking.

I wash mine down with sarsaparilla when I can get it, or Dr. Pepper when I can't

Makes a right fine lunch on a cold day while you're waiting for your arthritis meds to kick in.

I have some spicy Cajun crab dip. This gives me an idea!

Sounds delish Forty, might have to give it a try.

Oh, I got some of that salt you posted about. Damn, that stuff is potent. Great flavor, but needs to be used sparingly!!!

You know, as many times as I've seen Smokey and the Bandit, I didn't know this NOTICE until just now watching that clip.

Neither the Cadillac nor what's left of the sheriff's patrol car had a CB antenna.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Clam chowder with no clams?  Well a can of clam chowder, but like I said “no clams.”

I didn't have any clams.  That's why I tried the crab.

About twice a year I go to Red Lobster and load up on crab.  It takes freezing in stride.

5 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Sounds delish Forty, might have to give it a try.

Oh, I got some of that salt you posted about. Damn, that stuff is potent. Great flavor, but needs to be used sparingly!!!

Im forgot to mention that. It takes about 1/3 as much as I normaly use.

Some years ago, I entered a chowder contest. I had made clam chowder but I wanted to be different I invented a recipe for shrimp chowder. OM*G I won. I have won three times. Now the people who come for a sample of my chowder get a cup with maybe 3TBS of chowder in it and a little slice of bread. I spend 120 to $150 on ingredients and two days making it, better on the second day. Last year no one made a seafood chowder but I lost to a friggin bean chowder, all their relatives showed up to vote.  #$&**(*& BEANS $20 and two hours!

grrrr. End of gripe.

56 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Some years ago, I entered a chowder contest. I had made clam chowder but I wanted to be different I invented a recipe for shrimp chowder. OM*G I won. I have won three times. Now the people who come for a sample of my chowder get a cup with maybe 3TBS of chowder in it and a little slice of bread. I spend 120 to $150 on ingredients and two days making it, better on the second day. Last year no one made a seafood chowder but I lost to a friggin bean chowder, all their relatives showed up to vote.  #$&**(*& BEANS $20 and two hours!

grrrr. End of gripe.

Shrimp chowder sounds like something I need to try.

I did make a shrimp bisque with tomato bisque soup and a bunch of add-ons.  It was pretty good, but I'm not sure where I put the recipe.

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Shrimp chowder sounds like something I need to try.

I did make a shrimp bisque with tomato bisque soup and a bunch of add-ons.  It was pretty good, but I'm not sure where I put the recipe.

There won’t be a contest this year so I’m aiming to make it for one or two of our fire stations. My landlady is a firefighter. 1/3 as much work as the contest.

Oh my goodness....... talk about 'flingin a cravin on me'.     

Love Clam Chowder.  Throw in some fried oysters and you'll feel good for 40 days and 40 nights  (no pun intended, 40)  :D

As for Sally Fields,  there was a girl that worked in downtown Knoxville back in the late 70's - 80's that looked like

Sally Fields except she was taller and little more endowed... if you know what I mean.

Beautiful girl with black hair.   Anyhow..... she liked me.  Oh yea, no lie.   She liked me A LOT.    

I won't get into all the details but we parted as friends.   She was a super nice and sweet girl.

In my younger years, I was as lucky as any man alive when it came to meeting nice, sweet and very beautiful girls.

Because I couldn't decide on which one,  most of them pranced and danced on down lifes highway and left me

standing in the driveway waiting for the afternoon mail.

..........Widder

Archived