SASS Wire Forum

Scope recommendation please for 22

Dirty Dan Dawkins

DDD, if you haven't already, check out this article:

Scope Recommendations for Marlin Model 60

There are seven recommendations; however, the only one with an illuminated reticle is the Barska (#5 on the list).  Amazon has a bunch, many well within your budget range (and a few that are a bit more).

By the way - don't be afraid to consider air rifle scopes; they're generally more robust than .22 rimfire specific scopes.

Don’t buy any optics unless you can look through it first.

I put a Bushnell Elite on my 10-22.  More expensive than most .22 scopes, but not the most expensive.

Buy a scope for your eyes, not the bore diameter.

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

At what distance are you shooting and what size is your target?

Within 50-75 yards, but some is at night with a spot light.  I can't see reticle in my current scope with a green flood light.  Then again, a good red dot scope, if  the dot isn't fuzzy, might do the trick. Shooting varmints.  Nothing particularly hard to kill with a head shot.

14 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Within 50-75 yards, but some is at night with a spot light.  I can't see reticle in my current scope with a green flood light on my current scope.  Then again, a good red dot scope, if  the dot isn't fuzzy, might do the trick. Shooting varmints.  Nothing particularly hard to kill with a head shot.

Red Dot scopes come with different sizes of dots. All I have seen give you the dot size in MOA.

If you wear glasses or contacts, 9 times out of 10 they will cause a red dot optic to appear fuzzy or have a starburst appearance. I have this problem and sent back two sights before I discovered that my glasses were the problem. I have never used an illuminated retical in a scope so I don't know if they have the same problem.  

I can shoot without corrective lenses. and adjust the focus on my scopes to correct for my eyesight. When using red dot sights my vision is good enough without corrective lenses that I can still hit most targets. When the targets are small I resort to peep sights.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Red Dot scopes come with different sizes of dots. All I have seen give you the dot size in MOA.

If you wear glasses or contacts, 9 times out of 10 they will cause a red dot optic to appear fuzzy or have a starburst appearance. I have this problem and sent back two sights before I discovered that my glasses were the problem. I have never used an illuminated retical in a scope so I don't know if they have the same problem.  

I can shoot without corrective lenses. and adjust the focus on my scopes to correct for my eyesight. When using red dot sights my vision is good enough without corrective lenses that I can still hit most targets. When the targets are small I resort to peep sights.

I wear reading glasses. I have slight astigmatism in my dominate eye, but not there yet for full time glasses. Also, concerning astigmatism, I  shoot my bow (peep sight) measurably better with bow eyes open.

I won't go down the Ford, Dodge & Chevy path, but I've had some experiences with company's non warranty and service departments that have been less than stellar. 

I suggest picking a scope manufacture that has a Lifetime Warranty and a good reputation. In my opinion it's worth the extra money.
The replacement scope I put on my Ruger 10-22 was a Redfield and have really liked it.

Howdy,

Illuminated recticle is something I have never used or maybe even seen???

But anyway the Redfield 2-7 is a nice little scope with a very bright view.

They have a bunch of recticles to chooze from.

I went with the bow option.

There are marks that line up with various distances if its zeroed at 100yards.

Anyhoo, it just seems like big scopes on little rifles are just wrong.

Redfield is part of Leupold in case you havent heard.

If things ever get back to normal I might look into this illuminated thing.

If the 2-7 doesnt work for you consider buying from a place with decent return policy.

Best

CR

12 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I wear reading glasses. I have slight astigmatism in my dominate eye, but not there yet for full time glasses. Also, concerning astigmatism, I  shoot my bow (peep sight) measurably better with bow eyes open.

I also have a astigmatism and dot sighs are never a dot for me , always a odd shaped 

Archived