SASS Wire Forum

Longer 1873 firing pin

Currahee

The answer is probably.  (Presuming it’s a toggle link rifle.)

Take the bolt and firing pin extension our of the rifle and reassemble it out of the gun.  With everything in place, the tip of the firing pin should be flush with the bolt face.  When you push the firing pin forward, it should protrude about .050” or more than the thickness of a dime and less than the thickness of a penny.  

If the tip of the firing pin is recessed into the bolt face, extra energy is needed to overcome friction to get the FP to the primer for ignition.  If the tip of the FP protrudes from the bolt face, there is a risk of accidental discharge.

After I short stroked and changed the hammer spring to a coil setup, my 73 misfired about 50%. Replaced the firing pin with the longer one and all is good now.

Had to have one installed in my Uberti 1860 Henry.  I believe that a high number of .45 rounds have likely stretched the receiver to the point that the original firing pin was not long enough.

Knowing what I know now (and hearing of similar issues from others) I would not buy another brass frame rifle (1860 or 1866) in anything larger than a .32-20 or .38 Special.

Archived