SASS Wire Forum

Hi speed rifle shooters question

Bugler

Do all of the really hi speed rifle shooters use a straight trigger? I cannot see in any videos because their hand or finger obstructs the view.

Just wondering if that really makes that kind of difference in speed.....seems like these lever guns are going full auto!!!!

Bugler

No, not all.

Many like to have the trigger set more "forward" where it is in the middle of the trigger guard rather than at the back.

But it depends a lot more on the shooter than the trigger shape.

Having a nice, reliable and fairly slicked rifle, along with A LOT of practice, is probably a common denominator

for shooting fast.

Without knowing the actual statistics, I would also guess a short stroked modification is also helpful, although 

some of the fastest shooters are just fast, regardless of the set up.   They practice.

..........Widder

The answer is a resounding NO. 

What they ALL have in common is many many many hours of practice, both dry fire and live fire.  Smart, targeted practice aimed at making their worst skills into their best skills. 

Having a straightened trigger is not an advantage.

There will come a time when you need to borrow a rifle and it will have a standard curved factory trigger.

You will not be able to run the borrowed rifle as quick because it will be different than what you have become accustom to.

I started in cas in1991 and I started reloading commercially for cas shooters in 1998, I do not know of any shooters shooting straightened trigger.

Doesn't mean there weren't any, I just was not aware of any.

I am not a "High Speed Rifle Shooter",  but I can shoot faster with the straight trigger, and have fewer "Jacked Rounds" and almost totally no "73 Trigger" pinches!!!  Plus a lot fewer  band-aids to stem the bleeding finger.

It is always what fits your: shooting style, action speed and rifle configuration.  Don't give up if you have a winning combination, and don't deny a new opportunity to do better.

Try "em' all,  then decide.

But like an earlier comment!!!!!  to go from a straight to a std curved  will probably be painful!'

Been there, done that, have the scar(s)....

Your mileage WILL vary.

Ol' #4

I really prefer the straight trigger. Been shooting with one for years now and therefore I am faster with one than the curved trigger.  But, I do think if I spent the last few years shooting with the curved trigger, I would be faster with it. 

Like others have said, put in the time and you will get fast with either. I can shoot sub 2 second strings with the straight, but never broke 2 seconds with a curved. No doubt I could do it with a little effort/practice though. 

Totes

For me, the straight trigger is a bit better, but only if you adjust it.

There are several things that bother me:
1. IMHO, he is too far ahead.
2. You slide your finger further and further upwards, which does not happen with the curved trigger.
The lever path becomes shorter, the trigger weight increases.
3. Without a trigger stop, the trigger path is too long.
What I did with the trigger, see picture ...

PS:translate by Google

IMG_6222.JPG

I guess I'm faster than some and slower than others.  I use a curved trigger and I've never speared myself with it.  I suspect that with a little practice I could do equally well with a straight trigger.  I doubt it would improve my times.   If I thought it would I would have already bought one. 

Straight triggers were invented by hungry gunsmiths - no offense intended, we all gotta eat ! :)

If you THINK it makes you faster - that's all that counts. Good psychology never hurts ........

I've been using the same curved trigger that came on my Deluxe 1873 from Cody for over 14 years. Uberti used to have different triggers for the deluxe versus the straight stock rifles with the deluxe being more curved. Mine is the more curved version. I know other shooters that are damn fast that like the trigger to have LESS curve or even be straight. 

It's really a matter of personal preference.

Stan

On 1/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Without knowing the actual statistics, I would also guess a short stroked modification is also helpful, although 

some of the fastest shooters are just fast, regardless of the set up.   They practice.

..........Widder

Why... why... why, it JUST HAS to be the short stroke mod... as none of mine are and I ain't anywhere near that fast... :blush:

Not claiming to be fast, but I use the Sure Hit no-bite trigger.  Have not speared my finger since.  I tried the straight trigger and did not like it at all but know people who love it. 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:16 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lucas McCain used a curved trigger..... :D

..........Widder

Correct but we aren't allowed to have a screw in the lever that will activate the trigger when the lever is closed.:lol:

Randy

On 1/7/2021 at 6:57 AM, Mr w said:

Don’t forget the shotgun boogie trigger version 2 is my favorite. It is in the middle of straight and curved positions 

I put one of these in one of my rifles and for whatever reason I don't seem to jack out as many live rounds as I used to. A few years ago the Cracker Crew gave me a card at the S.E. Regional that explains my real problem, but I haven't been able to totally correct it.:D

Randy

On 1/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

The title alone disqualifies me from answering that question.

You and me both...I have see some shooters that were so fast...That all they had to do was hold the stock to shoulder and it seemed the lever run on their own...

Texas Lizard

On 1/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, Ol Number4 said:

I am not a "High Speed Rifle Shooter",  but I can shoot faster with the straight trigger, and have fewer "Jacked Rounds" and almost totally no "73 Trigger" pinches!!!  Plus a lot fewer  band-aids to stem the bleeding finger.

It is always what fits your: shooting style, action speed and rifle configuration.  Don't give up if you have a winning combination, and don't deny a new opportunity to do better.

Try "em' all,  then decide.

But like an earlier comment!!!!!  to go from a straight to a std curved  will probably be painful!'

Been there, done that, have the scar(s)....

Your mileage WILL vary.

Ol' #4

Most definitely this ^^^^^

Archived