SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Costume Question

Wade Butcher

Please forgive the above alliteration, but I'm choosing my 5 pieces of cowboy flair, and I have a question.

Am I correct to assume that all 5 pieces must be visible simultaneously? (In other words... If I were wearing sleeve garters under my jacket, then only the jacket would count toward the 5 pieces, since you wouldn't be able to see the sleeve garters unless I removed the jacket.)

Thanks in advance for all the insights.

W.B.

EDIT: Or might the jacket still count even if I removed it? After all, according to the manual, the only item of clothing specifically required to be worn at all times, is the felt hat. Does that mean that other items may be removed without violating the 5 pieces of flair requirement?

Braces and sleeve garters - mine don't always show.  My pocket watch does not have to be visible.  A knife can pretty much be covered with a vest.  If you are wearing it properly, it counts. (no spurs worn on the arm - yeah it was tried).    Items have to be worn when active at the match, at any match events you attend during the match (dinners, dances, etc), and at awards ceremony.   

(In other words, you can relax when you're dead.  Hah, Ha.)

GJ

Just so you have them on is all that matters.  You are good to go!

The only time to be cautious is if you wear a vest on a hot day and remove it.  It's especially an issue if your pocket watch is in the pocket.  Many wear more than 5 items just to be safe from instances such as that.

This is going to probably be an unpopular answer but here goes. Classic Cowboy is a COSTUME based category. I can't ever fathom why someone chooses a category that emphasizes costuming then they try to do it with as little as possible. Go all out or go home. Classic Cowboys rule.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I really appreciate the advice.

So...as long as I'm wearing it, even if it's covered, I'm covered.

Good to know. :)

19 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

This is going to probably be an unpopular answer but here goes. Classic Cowboy is a COSTUME based category. I can't ever fathom why someone chooses a category that emphasizes costuming then they try to do it with as little as possible. Go all out or go home. Classic Cowboys rule.

I completely agree with you, Seamus.

Speaking for myself (and only for myself), I do plan on wearing more than the minimum pieces of flair. I'm just trying to cover all my bases while I accumulate the total costume. For instance, I'm still hoping to pick up a nice pair of chinks soon! (Those brindle "hair on" chinks are gorgeous, but I'm afraid that I'm simply not that bold, so I'll stick with smooth leather chinks for now. LOL)

Thanks again, everyone!

W.B.

4 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Why stop at just 5? :rolleyes: :P

This.

:D

It IS a costume category, right?

I'll add another question.

Hats with stampede strings... what constitutes "worn"?

I was shooting in age based class prior to making the jump to CC. Hot day so while running the loading table I dropped my hat off and had it hanging from the stampede string like Mathew Quigley when he made the bucket shot. I was told that it was not OK for CC.

16 minutes ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

I'll add another question.

Hats with stampede strings... what constitutes "worn"?

I was shooting in age based class prior to making the jump to CC. Hot day so while running the loading table I dropped my hat off and had it hanging from the stampede string like Mathew Quigley when he made the bucket shot. I was told that it was not OK for CC.

It's not.
"Worn appropriately" means "on the head".

Hats: Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl and B-Western (ladies and men) are required to wear hats on their heads, not hanging by a stampede from your string or anywhere else. This is already a rule; just a clarification.

EoT 2016 TG Meeting

10 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Agreed. So far I have the wild rag, vest, knife, sleeve garters, suspenders, and jacket. My next purchase is either an old pocket watch or leather chinks.

Side question: Must the pocket watch be in proper working condition? What if it's broken, has a bullet hole thru the middle, and this pard only carries it for sentimental value as he wanders town-to-town searching for his father's killer? (Asking for a friend.)

W.B.

13 minutes ago, Wade Butcher said:

Agreed. So far I have the wild rag, vest, knife, sleeve garters, suspenders, and jacket. My next purchase is either an old pocket watch or leather chinks.

Side question: Must the pocket watch be in proper working condition? What if it's broken, has a bullet hole thru the middle, and this pard only carries it for sentimental value as he wanders town-to-town searching for his father's killer? (Asking for a friend.)

W.B.

NO.

...but a "full length chain" is still required to qualify as a costume item.

48 minutes ago, Wade Butcher said:

W.B.

I often wear broken watches that I found in antique stores, flea markets etc.  They look more authentic but if I would happen to lose one, I'm not heartbroken over losing a $5 broken watch.  Since jewelry is one of the items suggested for women to wear, I do the same with that.  I buy used cheap costume jewelry when I find it.  I got 10 pieces for $10 once.  Same reason - I'm not worried about losing my grandmother's locket or brooch because I choose to wear costume jewelry with my costume.

Looking at a Hidalgo inspired CC costume :D  does a turban count as a hat and a scarf?20201226_224333[1].jpg

... I may have spent too much time overseas as a kid, not enough actual cowboy gear laying around, but I got this... 

CC rules REQUIRE a fur/felt hat.   Turban not very felty.

Better check the boots requirement, too.

Good luck, GJ

14 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I generally am wearing 8 of the 12, Plus an extra knife. Go big or go home... :D 

The OP mentions "choosing my five pieces of cowboy flair": flair is going overboard. Just using five is minimizing. Suspenders (braces) are easy and relatively cheap, as are the wild rag/scarf, knife, sleeve garters, a vest and a pocket watch. There's six right there. I also add spurs (been wearing them off and on since I was 22 years old), and cuffs. My interpretation of CC is slightly different than that of many folks, so I don't do the chaps, leggings, botas or jacket. I'm the fella in the gray hat on the right in this picture...

NW Regional 2020 CC.jpg

3 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Looking at a Hidalgo inspired CC costume :D  does a turban count as a hat and a scarf?

LOL That was such a fun movie! I have no clue on the legality of your CC costume, but I give it bonus points for creativity! :D

2 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I generally am wearing 8 of the 12, Plus an extra knife. Go big or go home... :D 

The OP mentions "choosing my five pieces of cowboy flair": flair is going overboard. Just using five is minimizing. Suspenders (braces) are easy and relatively cheap, as are the wild rag/scarf, knife, sleeve garters, a vest and a pocket watch. There's six right there. I also add spurs (been wearing them off and on since I was 22 years old), and cuffs. My interpretation of CC is slightly different than that of many folks, so I don't do the chaps, leggings, botas or jacket. I'm the fella in the gray hat on the right in this picture...

"Choosing my [insert number] pieces of flair" was my inside reference to the movie Office Space. Sorry about that. :)

W.B.

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

CC rules REQUIRE a fur/felt hat.   Turban not very felty.

image.png.722f00cb9d5253750087fce0bc4cab6e.png

and

image.png.888dbdc7c42f93155a14f025360d2242.png

Where's the Felt/Fur Requirement?  I see a felt hat requirement in BW, but not CC...

the shoes are flat soled and thick leather, unless they are considered moccasins I don't think they would be verboten, but they probably don't count as one of my items...

Please advise,

El CupAJoe

What do the "shoes" (your word) look like off your feet?
Boots are not on the list of optional category items...they are REQUIRED.

IMO, a turban is NOT a "hat".

17 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

What do the "shoes" (your word) look like off your feet?
Boots are not on the list of optional category items...they are REQUIRED.

IMO, a turban is NOT a "hat".

yeah, boots are required, I'll have to switch out for boots to shoot CC with this outfit.  My shotgun doesn't have external hammers and I don't have a levergun, so I'll probably not be shooting CC for a while.

El CupAJoe

22 hours ago, Wade Butcher said:

"Choosing my [insert number] pieces of flair" was my inside reference to the movie Office Space. Sorry about that. :)

W.B.

Sorry, my bad. I don't watch too many movies that aren't either westerns or blood, gore and violence... :D

22 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

image.png.722f00cb9d5253750087fce0bc4cab6e.png

and

image.png.888dbdc7c42f93155a14f025360d2242.png

Where's the Felt/Fur Requirement?  I see a felt hat requirement in BW, but not CC...

Please advise,

El CupAJoe

If you eliminate palm and straw it doesn't leave a whole lot. And it also says "traditional design", and since we're sort of playing cowboys and indians rather than arabs, etc. then it pretty much seems to me that a felt hat of some sort is the answer.

I don't mean to be snarky, and I hope I didn't come across that way, but CC is my category and I hate to see it messed with. Sorry...

54 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

If you eliminate palm and straw it doesn't leave a whole lot. And it also says "traditional design", and since we're sort of playing cowboys and indians rather than arabs, etc. then it pretty much seems to me that a felt hat of some sort is the answer.

I don't mean to be snarky, and I hope I didn't come across that way, but CC is my category and I hate to see it messed with. Sorry...

In my defense I consider Hidalgo to be a great cowboy movie, if not a historically accurate one... :D 

image.png.9b094b944fe8221e9de5ec1a3e8c0974.png

I'm not really offended with people taking exception to my costume, I heard one time about a bunch of people dressing up as the 1870's era new york yankee's baseball team for fun, was in an article that might have been one of the first times I ever heard of CAS... I've been trying to think up an imaginative costume ever since... to add to the "uniqueness of the game" and the "festive informal atmosphere"  if it's not welcome in CC, I'll reserve this costume for the open categories as needed.

Also don't look too close or you'll see my outfit is Indian not Arabian, but probably not the kind of Indians we typically encounter in CAS... :D

I hate to differ, but Russian nobility and others came to the old west.  The movie Shanghai Noon had Chinese Royal Guards in it. I have seen pics of SASS costumes with British Officers and Bobbies. 

Why would a Rhaja or other high caste Indian not want to tour the wild west? If the costume is Victorian appropriate isn't it more historically accurate than steam punk which most seem to accept.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

If you go with more than 5 you can take your hat off and not be out of costume.

6 minutes ago, WOLFY said:

If you go with more than 5 you can take your hat off and not be out of costume.

Dont believe your statement is true. A hat is not listed as one of the optional items plus it also states hats must be worn for the entire match.

43 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Dont believe your statement is true. A hat is not listed as one of the optional items plus it also states hats must be worn for the entire match.

Thank you, Scout.  My mistake.

For what it’s worth, Wade.  I laughed when you said flair.  Office Space is a classic around these parts.

2 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

I hate to differ, but Russian nobility and others came to the old west.  The movie Shanghai Noon had Chinese Royal Guards in it. I have seen pics of SASS costumes with British Officers and Bobbies. 

Why would a Rhaja or other high caste Indian not want to tour the wild west? If the costume is Victorian appropriate isn't it more historically accurate than steam punk which most seem to accept.

There are a lot of outfits and costumes that are considered appropriate and SASS legal (some even just wear jeans, a shirt and work boots... :ph34r:), but this thread is about Classic Cowboy ;)

Equanimous 

True point. 

My long guns don't comply so I just dress that way, but don't get to shoot the category. 

So the costume is great for age based categories but not CC. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, El CupAJoe said:

if it's not welcome in CC, I'll reserve this costume for the open categories as needed.

Good plan. Thanks! :D 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, El CupAJoe said:

Also don't look too close or you'll see my outfit is Indian not Arabian, but probably not the kind of Indians we typically encounter in CAS... :D

When I said Arab I was thinking of the movie setting...

On 1/8/2021 at 2:08 PM, El CupAJoe said:

In my defense I consider Hidalgo to be a great cowboy movie, if not a historically accurate one... :D 

image.png.9b094b944fe8221e9de5ec1a3e8c0974.png

I'm not really offended with people taking exception to my costume, I heard one time about a bunch of people dressing up as the 1870's era new york yankee's baseball team for fun, was in an article that might have been one of the first times I ever heard of CAS... I've been trying to think up an imaginative costume ever since... to add to the "uniqueness of the game" and the "festive informal atmosphere"  if it's not welcome in CC, I'll reserve this costume for the open categories as needed.

Just my opinion, but I think that your best approach is as you mentioned, use that costume for open categories, because it's definitely not Classic COWBOY.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Sorry, my bad. I don't watch too many movies that aren't either westerns or blood, gore and violence... :D

Archived