SASS Wire Forum

USPS over holidays

Yessir!!  Three separate instances!!  I’ve recently had a couple of packages that arrived two and three days early!

Don’t make no sense!!!

Christmas card from Texas mailed the 15th got here the 30th. Local mail from this city to  me took 8 days. Lot rents usually mailed by residents were all placed in the drop off at the office including mine. People didn't want their payments considered late. Was quite a stack:blink::(:blush:

Yes. Parts ordered in November took weeks to show up. I mailed a gun via USPS Priority three-day service and it sat in Phoenix for 16 days before it started moving again. UPS shipping from Midway came almost faster than me ordering it. Seriously, the UPS shipments would be here in a few days and before they're scheduled delivery. Gotta love the government, but hey, we can still send someone a letter for 51 cents and that is cheap when you think about it.

Got a letter post marked the 3rd of Dec on the 22nd. Sold a mould to a shooter and he sent payment on the 10th. His check still hasn't arrived.

Send all the moulds I sold flat rate priority mail. Some arrived in 3 days most in 5 others took as long as 8. Distance traveled didn't seem to be a factor.

This week our daily mail delivery is starting to look more normal. Normal in that I am once again receiving a lot of junk mail. The two weeks prior there were some days where I didn't receive any mail. On the days I did find something in the box, junk mail was all but non-existent.

A package was mailed to me from Huntsville on November 22.  I still haven't received it.  I sent a package to my BIL in Cali on Dec 15th.  Was supposed to arrive 12/24.  He still hasn't received it. 

I mailed a riflegun from Southwest Virginia to Memphis, Tennessee, a distance of 507 miles. I dropped it at the post office on December 9th. It didn't arrive at the Memphis distribution center until Christmas Eve. It went for delivery to the FFL on the 28rh, but wasn't delivered, due to arriving after closing time. It finally made it on the 29th.

Got a part from Jack First in two days. Another from a place in West Palm Beach three or four days early.

Two packages sent by UPS last month arrived days late, opened, and damaged.

I won’t even comment on FedEx!

Lately, none of the shipping outfits are worth a crap!!

OOPS and FedUp both use USPS to complete many deliveries!!

I get other people's mail, in my mail box, every week. 

When I order something through amazon, if it is coming USPS, it is more often than not, late. 

I was expecting a package, and I got a note from amazon saying it could not be delivered because my driveway was blocked. That was a bald-faced lie.

I had to go pick it up at the post office the next day. At first, they could not find it, then they finally did. It was a heavy package, so I came to the conclusion that the mail person was too lazy to bring it up to my door. 

Benjamin Franklin would be ashamed of the post office, if he were alive today. 

I blame management...or lack thereof. A lack of leadership. 

Poor service has become the norm, and not the exception.

Of course, all this is just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences. That is all I have to go on.

39 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I get other people's mail, in my mail box, every week. 

When I order something through amazon, if it is coming USPS, it is more often than not, late. 

I was expecting a package, and I got a note from amazon saying it could not be delivered because my driveway was blocked. That was a bald-faced lie.

I had to go pick it up at the post office the next day. At first, they could not find it, then they finally did. It was a heavy package, so I came to the conclusion that the mail person was too lazy to bring it up to my door. 

Benjamin Franklin would be ashamed of the post office, if he were alive today. 

I blame management...or lack thereof. A lack of leadership. 

Poor service has become the norm, and not the exception.

Of course, all this is just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences. That is all I have to go on.

I've had the "can't find address" a couple of times in past 6 months.  Turned put, our local mail carrier is practically totally disabled.  They won't allow him to go on disability because they can't get replacement people.  So any heavy packages are delivered by another person.  We finally got with local PO and guy brought out the second heavy package. 

I got a bill from my supplemental insurance that was due on Jan 1, I got it on Jan 2~~~:angry:

The USPS in my area has been very slow and has lost mail. We may go a couple of days with no mail and then a bunch will show up. I've had a couple of packages that have never shown up.

Like everyone else I have seen some delays, mostly in the item moving from hub to hub.

There appear to be a number of things causing delays:

Supposedly USPS, Fedex & UPS have allocated vehicles (probably at the regional/national level) to the delivery of Covid vaccines.

Due to Covid, there was almost certainly a drastic increase of online shopping and USPS, Fedex & UPS have either been unable to increase resources to keep up or more likely choose not expecting things to return to "normal" once Covid is no longer considered a major problem.  I can understand not spending tens of millions buying vehicles and hiring employees that they won't need 6-12 months from now.

Practicing Covid protection for the employees has likely reduced efficiency and output.

I had two Christmas cards returned...one recipient must have moved, the other was a typo on my part. The round trip time from my house to the midwest/east coast and back was four weeks.

As you guys may know my ex works for USPS. Her office is extremely short staffed as several people quit and it takes an Act of Congress to hire replacements. The remaining employees are working 7 days a week, and several have taken impromptu days off just because they're sick of it. And yes they are extremely behind in mail delivery. It also doesn't help that all the vehicles date back to the 1980s, are in terrible mechanical shape and several carriers have broken down while on their routes. One even lost the ability to steer and crashed. If this is indicative of the other post offices around the country I would have to say USPS is in serious trouble.

The Holidays are always hit or mist for shipping. I'm surprised people forget that. This year it's worse largely because of budget cuts and personnel shortages due to layoffs and Covid.

I ordered some Bully Sticks from WalMart for our GSD's. They have been sitting in a distribution center in So Cal since Jan 1, 2021. Waiting for USPS to accept it.

On 1/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

I sent payment to a guy in Ohio from rural Oklahoma around Dec 23 and he still hasn't received it.  I didn't get tracking because of the amount and was in a hurry.  Anyone experience similar delays?

Gee.  Slow mail delivery during the Holidays AND a China Flu outbreak?  Who would have thought?  :o

19 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

...I would have to say USPS is in serious trouble.

USPS is a dinosaur that has lived way past its life span.  It it wasn't for their Union life support they would have been dead by now.

It's not getting any better, I ordered 1000 bullets from Desperado Cowboy bullets and they're really quick to get the orders out. The package is sitting in Washington since Jan 4th. It was shipped on Jan 3.

I think it’s mostly the China flu causing the problems. Last spring I ordered one of those mag tube liners for a 73 so your 38s feed better out of the 45 mag tube from Outlaw Gambler. It took almost 3 months to go from Wi to Mi . And if I remember correctly the route was not very direct. They must figure if it’s a cowboy gun part it can go pony express 

Archived