SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 or 750?

Lucky Lead Pepper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

From what I could tell back 8 years ago when I used 650 -

Primer (somehow) gets upturned onto it's side in the rotary wheel.   As it gets over close to primer seating position, the channel tightens and primer gets pinched.   The flash of the primer that detonates follows the channel back to the primer feed tube and blows up the whole tube of primers, the liner tube and blows the weight rod up into the ceiling.  Usually the outer tube survives intact.

IIRC, GJ

In other words the Reloader feels the lever binding and instead of stopping to investigate continues by forcing the lever to cycle?  I figure I have over 25,000 reloads through my XL650 and have NEVER had a primer feed tube blow up (jinxed that didn't I?).

11 hours ago, Your Nemesis said:

If the press does not come with the primer alarm it is a must have accessory you will be shocked how fast that crazy machine eats primers and all of sudden you look up and find that the last rounds have no primer.  also the primer plate on ebay with the bearing is all the after mairket upgrades it NEEDS and if I were you I would not evan think twice.  it is cheep and the primer system works good from the factory but with this ZOOM. Before I added this I had to clean the primer feed about every 1000-1500 rounds now never think about it.  

It comes with the primer alarm.

55 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

In other words the Reloader feels the lever binding and instead of stopping to investigate continues by forcing the lever to cycle?  I figure I have over 25,000 reloads through my XL650 and have NEVER had a primer feed tube blow up (jinxed that didn't I?).

Since Dillon has changed the primer feed station, and given the number of instances I've read about here and other forums... I suspect it's more than just "operator error."

I've crushed primers on my 550, and never had one go off.  Like crushed enough that primer is fully seated sideways in the pocket.  The bottom of the primer gets pushed outward, so the anvil isn't in contact.  I suspect there must be some sort of other pressure being exerted on the 650bthan just crushing a primer.  As in a pinch of some sort.

51 minutes ago, Griff said:

... I suspect it's more than just "operator error."

That's a possibility.  Another possibility was to reduce expenses from frivolous lawsuits because of "operator error"?  Like the warning sticker on the discharge chute of a lawn mower?

The summary of this thread is that each Dillon has advantages - simple operation with reasonable speed (550) or more complex operation with fastest speed (750).   There is a loyalty among the reloaders for their machine, rightfully so.  Spare parts and spare bins make reloading  life easier, extra tool heads (maybe with powder measures) make life more convenient.  In a do-over almost everyone would but the same machine again.   Go forth with confidence, LLP!

Funny story...  Yesterday on the Dillon Precision Facebook page they posted a question asking how many tool heads people have.  I replied that I had none yet, but was about to place an order for a new press with them.  I got a response on FB from Dillon asking which press I was planning to buy.  I replied that I was getting a 550 and listed all the other stuff I ordered with it.  I was joking with them and told them I was told it would all ship tomorrow, followed by the laughing emoji.  I told them I'm patient and understand the crazy times we live in.

I got a tracking number this morning for my new press.  :o  Everything except for the deluxe quick change assembly is shipping today.  Holy cow...I didn't expect that level of service during this crazy time.  Well done Dillon!  I think I chose wisely.

I like automatic indexing so I'd suggest the 750. The other benefit of the 750 over the 550 is the extra die position which allows you to run a powder cop/powder check if you use separate seating and crimping dies as most of us do with pistol ammo.  

Also, Double Alpha Academy sells a lot of the Dillon stuff so if it's on back order at Dillon you might check doublealpha.biz. 

You can get akro bins from Harbor Freight cheap. I would get a minimum of 5 primer tubes for each size. I try to have extra decapping pins as I sometimes get a rock stuck in a case from time to time. It's been awhile since one broke, but it's annoying if it does and I have no spares. I use a roller handle and like it, ymmv. I do use case lube despite using carbide dies and it does ease the effort. I can get between 500-800 rounds per hour on my 650 w/case feeder, but I never am in a hurry. My preferred use is to buy 1-2,000 bullets and run that caliber until finished before changing over. I have 100 count ammo boxes to fill and metal ammo cans for any extra. I have tool heads and stands with dies set and a powder measure dialed in for each caliber. I also use 3 gallon plastic water bottles with the neck cut to a pour spout for brass. Clean brass is then dumped into the case feeder as needed. Dirty brass is put into the empty bottles awaiting enough to tumble. To me, loading is a means to an end. An hour here and there will produce a nice supply. The fun is in the shooting.

Congrats on your purchase.

Unless the 550's case feed tube is longer than on the 650 you will find refilling it every 14 pulls of the handle a PITA.  I bought my 650 with 45 Colt dies with strong mount, bullet tray, tools & parts kit.  After loading the 1st 600 I bought the case feeder.  Pretty much every time I stopped to fill the tube with cases I'd make a mistake.  Worse was I was spending more time filling the tube than making ammo.  You have made a good choice by buying the 550 vs. the 750.

P.S.  I reload 380, 9mm, 38 S&W, 357M, 40 S&W, 45ACP, 45 Colt, 223/5.56, 30 Carbine, 30BO & 308/7.62 on the 650.  After one conversion from large to small primers I bought a 2nd primer feed system.  Rather than buying a powder bar for every powder charge I modified the powder bars that came with the press with an Arredondo micrometer kits.  I bought the extra small powder bar with the Arredondo micrometer installed.  These and many  other press enhancements are sold by Uniquetek.

Archived