SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550 or 750?

Lucky Lead Pepper

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 550 because YOU advance the plate, this way if there's a problem, and there will be, you can stop and remedy it yourself.

9 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:Decide and order soon.....there is a backlog of orders at Dillon, and somewhat of a wait.

The current lead times are 12 weeks for a 750 and 6 weeks for a 550.  Pistol dies and the Square D press are both at 14 weeks.  I will probably end up ordering a 550 later today. 

59 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

The current lead times are 12 weeks for a 750 and 6 weeks for a 550.  Pistol dies and the Square D press are both at 14 weeks.  I will probably end up ordering a 550 later today. 

Make sure you order extra primer pickup tubes in both small and large, at least 5 of each. If you are mainly doing .38/.357 and .45 Colt, order an extra powder measure...you'll be glad you did. IMO, the strong mounts are not needed, just bolt it to your bench.

I think you've made the right choice with the 550, not that there's any bad choices.

+1 on extra primer tubes! Also, the Strong mount is not necessary UNLESS you have drawers on your bench you don't want blocked.

I have two 550’s and a 650.  The 650 is for 38’s, with the 550’s (one for small primers, one for large) for everything else.  

I’ve not used a 750 but the primer feed improvement cures my main complaint with the 650.  I have loaded over 700 rounds in an hour on the 550 (not counting filling primer tubes).  

Even though the 650 loads at a higher rate of speed, malfunctions take longer to correct and I’ve never reached an actual 500 rounds in an hour even with the case feeder.  There always seems to be a pesky 9 mm case that gums up the works.

I think you made the right choice in picking the 550.  If Only had one machine, it would be a 550!

22 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Here's my cart.  I can use my Lee dies with this until I decide differently.

Dillon Cart.JPG

I personally don't like the Dillon primer flip tray. Probably just me though. Midway has plastic primer trays for 1/5 of the price. I use the green RCBS tray. See below for the Midway flip trays. If you really want a Dillon flip tray, I'd sell you mine for $20.00 shipped. Otherwise, I think you've made a fine selection.

primer flip tray - MidwayUSA

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I personally don't like the Dillon primer flip tray. Probably just me though. Midway has plastic primer trays for 1/5 of the price. I use the green RCBS tray. See below for the Midway flip trays. If you really want a Dillon flip tray, I'd sell you mine for $20.00 shipped. Otherwise, I think you've made a fine selection.

primer flip tray - MidwayUSA

Good call, I hadn't considered cheaper flip trays.  I'll drop that out of my cart and get an RCBS.

39 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Dillon Cart.JPG

I would recommend the press stand and the bullet tray. They are shown in the pic with the loader but are extra's. Also the low primer sensor if it still doesn't come with the press is really handy.

Uniquetek has some useful aftermarket parts for a 550.  The spent primer chute catches more primers than the factory primer holder.  The primer track bearing really helps the primer feeder to run more reliably.  (I also use a .45 case on the primer feed rod to add a little weight and improve feeding.)  Most important is an LED lighting kit.  I visually verify powder has fallen for each case.  (I loaded a few squib rounds before I started checking.)  

16 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Uniquetek has some useful aftermarket parts for a 550.  The spent primer chute catches more primers than the factory primer holder.  The primer track bearing really helps the primer feeder to run more reliably.  (I also use a .45 case on the primer feed rod to add a little weight and improve feeding.)  Most important is an LED lighting kit.  I visually verify powder has fallen for each case.  (I loaded a few squib rounds before I started checking.)  

Thanks for the info.  I'm especially interested in the LED lighting kit.  I assume you are pretty happy with the LED kit?  I definitely like to have my work spaces well illuminated.

:ph34r:  I use a plastic rod which fits perfectly into the primer feed.  It bottoms out exactly when it is empty.  I marked the halfway point with a silver magic marker for reference.  Used on both 550 and 650.  ,,,,,simple, straightforward, and CHEAP.

BTW, I really like the Dillon dies for the rapid disassembly feature which allows for cleaning of lead/lube residue.  Lee will certainly work.  Dillon makes for LESS work.

Good luck on your project.  I began before 550 with the then revolutionary 450, and got the offered conversion when it became available to transform it into a 550.

7 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm especially interested in the LED lighting kit.  I assume you are pretty happy with the LED kit?  I definitely like to have my work spaces well illuminated.

My first LED light didn't last long and I had to replace it (Chinese manufacture - 'nuff said).  The one on my press now has lasted for years (including the battery).  I don't need the light during the day when sunlight floods my loading room.  In the evening it is essential.

1 minute ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Lucky Lead Pepper  here’s a link to Amazon for reloading lights Press Lights  you might find something you like better and save a little $$

I appreciate the link but I'm kind of funny when it comes to Amazon and gun stuff.  I prefer to support people in the gun business (Midway, Brownells, Natches SS, Mid-south Shooters, etc, etc) and not throw my dollars to anti-gun Amazon, even if it costs me a few more dollars.

Just now, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I appreciate the link but I'm kind of funny when it comes to Amazon and gun stuff.  I prefer to support people in the gun business (Midway, Brownells, Natches SS, Mid-south Shooters, etc, etc) and not throw my dollars to anti-gun Amazon, even if it costs me a few more dollars.

I understand completely.  I always look at who’s selling it a lot of times the places you mentioned also sell on Amazon.  With them I get free shipping so I can save a little.

There are folks who love the 650 but I have a love/hate relationship with mine.  It works really well with 45 Colt but it hates 9mm.  I've upgraded and adjusted everything but it still hates the small cases.  The primer tube blowing up was an extra special treat.  When it wants to work, it's fast but when it doesn't, it's a PITA.  I wish I'd have gone with something different but since I have almost 2K in the press and accessories, I'm stuck at this point. 

For 150-200 rds/hour, my Lee Classic Turret is great.  Caliber changes are cheap since all you need is another turret.  I load 23+ calibers so it is my go to for small runs of ammo.  

The strong mount, LED light, and shell plate bearing were among the best additions I ever made to the 650.  I think you made a good choice by going with the 550.

Ya might also wanna get one of this aftermarket upgrade for your 550 : Dillon 550B/C Primer Track Bearing Plate W/Ball Bearing.

It makes life way better with the 550, for me at least...search it on EBAY(not affiliated in any way with the manufacturer:rolleyes:)

DB:FlagAm:

s-l1600.jpg

There are a lot of accessories you can buy for a 550, but my advice, at least initially, is don't.  Get the press and use it as is.  Some people love the roller handle, I can't stand it.

The first thing I do after a match is throw my brass into a tumbler and get it clean.  Then when I'm ready to reload, my reloading process goes like this (it may help you or it may not):

1)  Fill up however many primer tubes I'm planning to reload (primer tube holds 100 primers each).

2)  Place clean brass in loading blocks (this gives me the opportunity to inspect for cracks and ensure I'm not trying to load a piece of 357 or have a 22 stuck in a 45).  I have six 50-round loading blocks so I can set up for 300 rounds.  Some people check for splits after they load but I can't stand to load something I won't shoot in a match.

3)  Give each loading block full of brass a quick squirt of Hornady One Shot case lube.  Makes working the brass a whole lot easier even with carbide dies and no messy cleanup required.

4)  Load the first 100 rounds.  My press is set up to where I can look in the brass after the powder drops and see if it's there.  With practice you'll learn to feel when a primer doesn't seat just right or the powder dispenser doesn't sound like it cycled normally.

5)  Place those loaded rounds in an ammo box and inspect the primers for proper seating.  Label the ammo box with the date (and whatever other info you want to use; my labels also show primer used, powder type/weight, bullet maker/type/weight and overall length).

6)  Add another 100 primers and repeat.

There's 100 primers to a box so after I empty six loading blocks I should be out of primers.  Doing this, I can load 300 rounds in less than two hours when starting with empty primer tubes and loading blocks.  Filling the primer tubes and inspecting the brass takes the most time.  I could also go faster, but I don't.

5 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

There are a lot of accessories you can buy for a 550, but my advice, at least initially, is don't.  Get the press and use it as is.  Some people love the roller handle, I can't stand it.

The first thing I do after a match is throw my brass into a tumbler and get it clean.  Then when I'm ready to reload, my reloading process goes like this (it may help you or it may not):

1)  Fill up however many primer tubes I'm planning to reload (primer tube holds 100 primers each).

2)  Place clean brass in loading blocks (this gives me the opportunity to inspect for cracks and ensure I'm not trying to load a piece of 357 or have a 22 stuck in a 45).  I have six 50-round loading blocks so I can set up for 300 rounds.  Some people check for splits after they load but I can't stand to load something I won't shoot in a match.

3)  Give each loading block full of brass a quick squirt of Hornady One Shot case lube.  Makes working the brass a whole lot easier even with carbide dies and no messy cleanup required.

4)  Load the first 100 rounds.  My press is set up to where I can look in the brass after the powder drops and see if it's there.  With practice you'll learn to feel when a primer doesn't seat just right or the powder dispenser doesn't sound like it cycled normally.

5)  Place those loaded rounds in an ammo box and inspect the primers for proper seating.  Label the ammo box with the date (and whatever other info you want to use; my labels also show primer used, powder type/weight, bullet maker/type/weight and overall length).

6)  Add another 100 primers and repeat.

There's 100 primers to a box so after I empty six loading blocks I should be out of primers.  Doing this, I can load 300 rounds in less than two hours when starting with empty primer tubes and loading blocks.  Filling the primer tubes and inspecting the brass takes the most time.  I could also go faster, but I don't.

Thanks Chief.  Very sound advice and much appreciated.  I'd expect nothing less from a CPO...what rate were you?  I'm a retired ET1(SW).

6 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Thanks Chief.  Very sound advice and much appreciated.  I'd expect nothing less from a CPO...what rate were you?  I'm a retired ET1(SW).

DCC - thank you for your service.

Maybe we'll meet at a match when I get back CONUS.  Home is the MS Gulf Coast.

I started on a SDB and upgraded to a 650 several years later.  As others have said, it's primarily a matter of personal preference.  I like the shell plate to auto index, I like the extra station, and I don't find the 650 to be hard to operate at all.  Therefore I prefer the 650/750 to the 550.  I load 38 special and 32 H&R magnum.  Switching from one caliber to the other takes about 5 minutes (no need to change anything to do with primers given that both calibers take small pistol primers).  Counting all prep, primers, cases, everything, I can comfortably reload about 600 rounds an hour on my 650.

I've never had any problems with exploding tubes or any of the other issues some have reported.

If I had it to do over I would have still bought the 650, but I would have kept the SDB and set it up to load large pistol primer calibers, primarily 45 colt and 45 acp.

I pulled the trigger.  I ordered the 550C with extra primer pickup tubes, caliber conversion kit, and deluxe quick change assembly.  It should all be here tomorrow...I wish.  I'm thinking I will probably order a KMS Squared UFO lighting kit for it too, anyone use that light setup?

Thanks for all of the insight and suggestions from everyone!

4 hours ago, Dakota Brown said:

Ya might also wanna get one of this aftermarket upgrade for your 550 : Dillon 550B/C Primer Track Bearing Plate W/Ball Bearing.

It makes life way better with the 550, for me at least...search it on EBAY(not affiliated in any way with the manufacturer:rolleyes:)

DB:FlagAm:

s-l1600.jpg

This is the one I use.   Made by JW Systems, Believe was $26  when ordered mine      GW

You'll also want to get their spare parts kit for the press.  It's full of stuff you can lose, break or mutilate... nothing they won't replace under warranty... but without the mail delay!

Two useful videos:

Lubricating the Dillon Precision RL550B

Major Cleaning and Lubing of the Dillon Precision RL550B

Your press will run great at first.  Eventually you will need clean and lube it.

7 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Dillon Cart.JPG

Order a second primer feed assembly. Set one up for small pistol and the other up for large pistol.

I am currently using a SDB for .38spcl and 9mm and have a 450 and 550 each set for large primers. The 550 is setup for 44 Russian and the 450 for 44-40. I was toying with the idea of selling one of those to get a 750. But after thinking about having to buy new conversions for it. Decision was made to stick with what I already have. I cannot sit for hours on end to reload so after  a few hundred break time. On the other hand when I load shotgun smokeless shotgun ammo on my MEC 9000 its hard stop as long as I do not have any oops moments. Yes there is also a Rockchucker under the bench which gets used for various functions. I like my Dillon metal primer flipper tray.

Hochbauer

4 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I pulled the trigger.  I ordered the 550C with extra primer pickup tubes, caliber conversion kit, and deluxe quick change assembly.  It should all be here tomorrow...I wish.  I'm thinking I will probably order a KMS Squared UFO lighting kit for it too, anyone use that light setup?

Thanks for all of the insight and suggestions from everyone!

Just bought the UFO lights for the 650 & the 550 I use. Only question I had is why didn’t I get these years ago? Ten minutes each to install and these tired old eyes are really, really happy!! No strain no glare. Order to delivery three days. 
Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

If the press does not come with the primer alarm it is a must have accessory you will be shocked how fast that crazy machine eats primers and all of sudden you look up and find that the last rounds have no primer.  also the primer plate on ebay with the bearing is all the after mairket upgrades it NEEDS and if I were you I would not evan think twice.  it is cheep and the primer system works good from the factory but with this ZOOM. Before I added this I had to clean the primer feed about every 1000-1500 rounds now never think about it.  

On 1/6/2021 at 6:51 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I've run both 550 and 650s for cowboy ammo.    And with 550, I've never blown up a primer feed tube (but twice with a 650).

Good luck, GJ

The cowboy from whom I bought a 650 had a blowup, and the cowboy to whom I sold it had a blowup.  What is the most common cause of that?

From what I could tell back 8 years ago when I used 650 -

Primer (somehow) gets upturned onto it's side in the rotary wheel.   As it gets over close to primer seating position, the channel tightens and primer gets pinched.   The flash of the primer that detonates follows the channel back to the primer feed tube and blows up the whole tube of primers, the liner tube and blows the weight rod up into the ceiling.  Usually the outer tube survives intact.

IIRC, GJ

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Order a second primer feed assembly. Set one up for small pistol and the other up for large pistol.

Also some extra Akro bins.  

6 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Two useful videos:

Lubricating the Dillon Precision RL550B

Major Cleaning and Lubing of the Dillon Precision RL550B

Your press will run great at first.  Eventually you will need clean and lube it.

The 550C has it's own lube needs... has difference positions for lube than my 550B.

Archived