SASS Wire Forum

Trail Markers

Eliphalet R. Moderator

It was such a pleasure meeting you guys at CAC. Prayers for you.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Badger Mountain Charlie passed today, January 7th.

He was a monument in the SASS Wire Saloon!! He was a friend to everyone and a joy to carry on with!!

He was my friend and compatriot and I will miss him, as will many others here.

I’ll post more when I get more information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

I sadly make note of the passing of Blue Boy, SASS #46773. 

He was the oldest active member in SASS and a true treasure to anyone who crossed his path. Father of Imis Twohoffen and surrogate father to me!

He joined our organization in 2002 and was on the scene at the Tennessee State Match this last October at the age of 102!

We are diminished by his passing, but we will find joy in his memory!

39DE3A8F-FC6E-425B-9A8A-FCB8952007E4.jpeg

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is my sad duty to tell everyone that Jehremie Woods, aka Captain Murphy, lost his long battle with cancer & passed away early Monday morning.  He was a great friend.  He will be sorely missed.

Hollifer A. Dollar

18739704_10209250879171206_6133282041963575974_n.jpg

Edited by Hollifer A. Dollar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 3 months later...

It is again my sad duty to report that South Pacific SASS #59402L passed away June 24, 2022.  He was a long time member of SASS, serving as TG for Panhandle Cattle Company & made many trips to Founders Ranch to serve as a waddie at EoT.  He was a great cowboy & a great friend.

1421274_456337284472412_39122143_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

I am very sad to report the unexpected passing of Yuma Jack.  He was a dedicated Frontiersman and past president of the Texican Rangers.  He will be missed.

Yuma Jack.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 1 month later...
I was saddened to hear of the sudden, unexpected passing of our friend and fellow Cowboy Action Shooter, Doug Gardner, "Carolina Shakespeare".

Our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Stacey Mahan Gardner and sons, Ben Gardner and Cam Wesley.

624501258_CarolinaShakespeare2.jpg.aab44ac2559b37f3963773365627a538.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"We lost one of the old Los Vaqueros Shooters, Dirty Dave Rudabaugh, today Sept. 13, 2022.  He was always fun to shoot with and a good shooter. He won the Modern category at Winter Range, back when it was a category.  Ride well, old pard!" - The Butcher

1965248754_DirtyDaveRudabaugh(r.i.p.)withDavidW.Glenn.jpg.e24fba6df82ba89645682481223223d4.jpg

Dirty Dave Rudabaugh, David W. Glenn

933188106_DirtyDaveRudabaugh.thumb.jpg.20c27cff5ef8f300a886e180d181e60b.jpg

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am sad to report that Catskill Bob passed away on Aug 30,2022.

lifetime member of SASS He participated in many SASS competitive events across the nation. Bob had a wonderful sense of humor that showed up wherever he went.

Here is a link to his Obit.

https://hagan-chamberlain.com/tribute/details/896/Robert-Glywa/obituary.html

Catskill Bob with Bob Glywa (r.i.p.).jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Very sorry to say that Two Ponies passed away September 28th.  To say he led an interesting life would be an understatement.  Two Ponies Obituary

He will be missed.  

• Sad 3

208116459_IzzyLost-ErnieNicholas(R.I.P.).jpg.dc9f24ad7378ec47e0bd934ea1dc4da8.jpg  

1723206747_IzzyLostaliasErnieNicholas..jpg.e5215c89151f6d0a349135ab95369479.jpg

Izzy Lost, (Ernie Nicholas - Sept. 19, 2022) 

"Today we lost another Good CowBoy.
Izzy Lost alias Ernie Nicholas.
He was a good man that I always saw a smile on his face n a joke on his lips.
It's gonna be hard to fill his boots n sorely missed.
A Good Cowboy to ride the river with, n I pray that he saves a place on his posse for us all." - Alamo Kid 

Edited by McCandless
  • Sad 1

Sad to report that John Boy AKA: John Corney, passed away on October 10th.   A long time CAS shooter, John was a font of information on black powder firearms, including manufacture of black powder cartridges.  I had the pleasure of shooting with him at the Jackson Hole Gang and Monmouth Rangers clubs when I lived in NJ. RIP, pard.

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

My good friend Joe Tibery has passed away. His SASS alias was Joe Pistolero, and he shot with the Cajon Cowboys and later, after moving to Washington, with the Poulsbo Pistoleros and the Olympic Peninsula Strait Shooters. He was 89 and  is survived by his wife, Aliette. Please remember him in your prayers.

Joe is on the left and his friend Dandy Don on the right.

Dandy Don and Joe Pistolero.JPG

Edited by Doc Neeley
Photo Added
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

by Randy St. Eagle

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that Charlie Bowdre (Preston Sweeney) headed to the last Round-Up this morning. Charlie brought Cowboy Action Shooting to Tennessee and founded The Wartrace Regulators, Tennessee's first SASS Club. He got quite a few of us started in this sport and helped guide us to where we are. It's been a few years since Charlie was able to compete due to health issues and I'm sure he is in a better place now. 

Randy  

Charlie Bowdre.JPG

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 8:42 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Charlie is and always will be the heart & soul of the Wartrace Regulators. If you've been to the range in Wartrace, you can feel how special the place is. That's what he did for us, without him neither the range, nor the Wartrace Regulators would exist. If you come to Wartrace and appreciate how you are treated, that's him. He showed us Regulators by example how to treat newcomers and old friends. He loved to help people get involved in this sport, and in life. Rest well on your new range Charlie Bowdre, and Good Lord Willing we'll posse up again some day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

It is with much sorrow that I post the loss of one of our Mad River Rangers. Redwood Rose, aka Stephanie Casey, passed away on January 31, 2023. We are all in shock over the sudden loss of one of the bricks in the foundation of our cowboy group.

Stephanie was a staunch supporter of shooting sports in our area and an active participant in many of the shooting groups here on the northcoast as well as out of the area. 

The Rangers spent many Christmas gatherings at Stephanie and Craig’s house, their door was always open and many evenings spent with good food, much laughter and the warm feeling of friendship.

Redwood Rose, Rest In Peace, you will be missed.

57BE32A2-DEB9-4509-96BA-CDD0BD596077.jpeg

• Sad 3

• 3 months later...

It is with a heavy heart that I post news of Birdshot, aka Mike Daly's passing.  A friend to shooters of all disciplines but a true cowboy at heart, he spent many years at Hodgdon Powder Company.  Please keep his wife, 101 Inez, son and daughter in your thoughts and prayers. 

Throw another log on the heavenly fire, say hello to all your heroes, family and friends that were waiting there for you and especially all the Mule Teamers - rest in peace Birdshot.  Gone but never forgotten. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I simply have not had the heart to post this, as the nightmare of the lose still haunts me, but I must..

My wife and partner of 37 years lost here battle with cancer and crossed the river to rest in the shade.  Her shooting friends knew her as Yukon Rose. She enjoyed the game, and was always there to welcome and encourage new folks.  My world willl never be the same without her.  IMG_9328.thumb.jpeg.0b673b1f94bb337418e3ff78e31f4f9b.jpeg

• Sad 10

• 1 month later...

It's with a Sad and Heavy Heart that I report the passing of Don Wright, alias McShagnasty. SASS #452. He was Shooting End of Trail back in 1985-'86-'87 as a Coto Cowboy before SASS was founded in late 1987.  He was one of my best friends for the last 38 years. He was 81 years old when the Lord called him Home. He shot with Butch Cavetchee, Buford McHog, Apache Kid, and myself Big Jake. He Loved making Holsters, Spur Straps, Hat Strings, Shaps. Gun Belts and lots of Knives, both big and tiny ones. He had a Heart attack and was in Hospital for a couple of days. He came home for a month and passed with his family all close by at the end.  Via Con Dios  Vaquero. You will be missed.

McShagnasty.jpg

McShagnasty & horse.jpg

SASS # 452.jpg

Reggie day.jpg

McShagnasty teepee.jpg

Don's Knives.jpg

Don's little knives.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

Long time Arizona SASS shooter “Lefty Rhodes” (Ralph Roderick) passed away early in the morning on January 20th, 2024. He had been fighting along battle with a number of issues but now he rests out of pain and in peace. Lefty and his wife Angela were frequent visitors to SASS matches in Tombstone, Yuma, Casa Grande and others. Your easy smile and cheerful banter will be missed. Rest in peace pard. We’ll keep the coffee on for you.  

• Like 1

I apologize in advance for being long winded…

image.thumb.jpeg.fd52c1da01e29d1db1f3046de458f9e1.jpeg

After 5 agonizing years, I’ll finally post an ode to my life partner, “Griff’s Girl”, SASS #14 who slipped away on January 29th, 2019 after a short but haggard battle with esophageal cancer. 

By mid 1986, after several months of being a “CAS widow” twice a month, she made the decision to join me on my forays out to the Coto Cowboys and to the West End Outlaws.  1st selecting the alias “Sly Di”, then, shortly after SASS was formed in 1987, she’d tired of it, changing it to Griff’s Girl and keeping that to the end.

Sometime in 1988 we started taking our travel trailer out to West End on Friday nite before the monthly match with our generator and setting up to do the score keeping at the cowboy match the following day.  Between her and several “gal pals”, they kept the lag between the last shot and finished scores from being too onerous.  She had been volunteering at Coto each month to help add the scores up for each shooter due to her prowess on a 10-key adding machine.  Her day job being an accountant.  At West End she adapted a spreadsheet program to ease the data entry and spit out meaningful results.

After we moved to Texas in 1990, she was instrumental in helping form The Lone Star Frontier Shooting Club, being club Treasurer for the several years.  Each month she helped me load our target steel & stands for each match and unload it back in our barn with me that evening.

For our first few annual shoots, she helped design the stages, and contributed to the story line for each stage, keeping to a theme for the entire match.  For the last annual shoot she attended, she wrote the entire stage description, story and designed the stages.  She handled all the registration, shooter check in, answered questions and generally gave the rest of our Board our marching orders.  As the match progressed, she would come out of the scoring tent, shoot a stage, pick up its scoresheet, and rush back to continue inputting each shooter’s score.   At the Saturday nite award’s banquet, I asked her how I did and was told, “I don’t know, I just finished printing the results, handed them to Dusty (MC for the awards), in time for him to get here.”  (approximately an hours drive from the shoot venue… I asked how she did and was told, “I hope I’m in the top five Traditional Ladies, but I didn’t even look at the either the category or overall results… just stuffing the sheets in an envelope for Joey and pushed him out so I could change for the banquet!”

She was the glue that held us together, the wheel that kept us headed straight, and the comb that kept us organized!  Missed every day, and extremely thankful she filled our 48 years of married life with joy and love.  Sometimes accompanied by a swift kick in the rear to help with motivation!

Edited by Griff
Apparently can't count...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really nice Griff, thanks for sharing. RIP Griff's Girl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a hoist of a cool one to our very good Pard, Buckshot Pete. Pete passed away last year on Oct 6th, 2023. SASS NO. 12668

Pete was well known up and down the I-5 corridor in WA. and OR by hundreds of shooters of our game, and he was the friendliest, most willing to jump in and do anything Pard there ever was. 

Buckshot and i shot a plethora of matches together and he will be sorely missed by the Pacific Northwest shooters. 

Buckshot Pete,Oregon state match,July 2005.JPG

• Like 3