SASS Wire Forum

Trail Markers

Eliphalet R. Moderator

"Trail Markers" is a memorial to those who have left us, and gone on ahead.  

There are several websites and social media pages that have done this already.  But, many of our members do not subscribe to Facebook, or know about those other sites.  We invite those who have such archives to co-post here. 

One excellent memorial site is maintained by Utah Bob:  Cowboy Memorial 

"Dedicated to our dear friends in the Single Action Shooting Society who have headed for the last roundup"

A Facebook album is maintained by Allie Mo:  RIP, You Will Be Missed

There may be other sites, please post a link if you know of more.

Feel free to post photographs and memorials of our friends and members.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you!!

There are a number of cowboys/cowgirls that have passed over the years, who left their mark on SASS and the members who remain!!

Should these great individuals be memorialized here??  I think "YES", but I defer to the wishes of others who will surely speak up here!!

• Like 2

Thank you, I will take this opportunity to post the first one.

We lost Preacher Red in early December of 2020 (the year from hell) He was a wonderful father, grandfather, and friend. He was very instrumental in making the Smoky Mountain Shoot Out a success. If you ever attended one of our shoots he was the one that kept the fire buckets going and you would see him riding around on a green Gator making sure everyone was having a great time. He was always a pleasure to be around, had a kind word for everyone and knew how to tell a story. He shot a Spenser so always had to load 3 rounds on the clock and was known to talk to the TO during his shooting string. His favorite line was "Do I have a P yet" He will be missed by all. 

PreacherRed.jpg.f15a507103df87d1c702519a398651c1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

December, we also lost Black Jack Rodes.

1608063065_BlackJackRodes-(JackH.FitzhughR.I.P.).thumb.jpg.59a8c1208c28f85ad2892f0eebfdd28f.jpg

Black Jack Rodes - (Jack H. Fitzhugh, R.I.P.)

• Like 3

Lighting McCoy, This is also one of our partners from the Oak Ridge Outlaws and Smoky Mountain Shootist Society and the Ocoee Rangers. He was the voice of SMSO for many years on awards night. Hard worker, incredibly pleasant to be around. The expression "He would give you the shirt off of his back on a cold day" fits him to a T. A true Classic Cowboy.

RIP m1514944293_Lighting1.thumb.JPG.89fcf8eea210f754c5e449b594004b12.JPGy friend.

Edited by Tn Tombstone
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

December was a hard month for our cowboy friends.

935381233_OzarkOutlaw-(H.C.WilliamsR.I.P).thumb.jpg.7dbaacbf9d4b5339a69a70d035b0d613.jpg

Ozark Outlaw - (H.C.Williams, R.I.P.)

• Like 3

I tried to access my album from the link in the OP. It wouldn't let me. I tried changing the album to public. It still didn't work then either. If you go to FB first you can access it.

My album is mostly people I know or those who friends have requested that I add

PS Thank you for starting this thread!

Edited by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217
ps
  • Like 1

Our Virginia pards lost a fine man...

142058670_RemoWilliams-(CharlesThorpeR.I.P.).thumb.jpg.496cba8886364cac6fb60d2549bd354e.jpg

Remo Williams - (Charles Thorpe, R.I.P.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2020, Marshal Law lost his wife, Lady Hawk.

614933606_LadyHawkwithGailSilvermanR.I.P..thumb.jpg.168bc313f128e6893ec5cca81028386f.jpg

Lady Hawk - (Gail Silverman, R.I.P.)

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2020, another cowboy gone but not forgotten.

374249544_RattlerLane-(WilliamWebbR.I.P.).jpg.4e78898a7e97f794a24cf5f6425605c0.jpg

Rattler Lane - (William Webb, R.I.P.)

• Like 1

2020 took a North Carolina friend from us...

1553264657_HandsomeHuggy-(HuggyMitchellR.I.P.).jpg.fd64f1c4d456f886d0ce4f54d41fded4.jpg

Handsome Huggy - (Huggy Mitchell, R.I.P.)

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2020 took another fine cowboy from us...

1664552635_DapperDan-(DanPorterR.I.P.).jpg.ca401cfd4c74c48c7a2efcaca5aeac91.jpg

Dapper Dan - (Dan Porter, R.I.P.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A word from Coolwater Mike about his brother, One-Eyed Fat Man... 

Sept. 4, 2020

"Another day of hospice.  I awoke to the bluest skies we've had in months, it's a fine day and the angels were at my door this morning.  At 11:07am they took the hand of my brother, the One Eyed Fatman and Marine Vet to lead him to meet our heavenly father.
It was standing room only in his room as God's emissaries gathered him in their arms to carry him away, the tears of sadness and love were flowing freely among the gathered family as they bid him farewell. No more pain and suffering, just the memories of a good man gone to soon. Please pray for him and us for we are in great need of them."

796238341_OneEyedFatMan-(R.I.P.).thumb.jpg.119ef959a30a366bff2e7e836c326d71.jpg

One Eyed Fat Man - (R.I.P.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

100_0983.thumb.JPG.97a369a1b1b5c81748c9c4210213377a.JPGJasper3.thumb.jpg.66897c75ef387b47cb95dea2368ea31b.jpg

Slim Eagle aka Tommy Galligan

SASS # 63721 retired

March 30, 1955- June 30 2007 8:30 am

Essay titled-There’s a hole in my heat

Published in the Cowboy Chronicle September 2007

I’m dedicating this essay to my devoted wife for the sacrifices she made in allowing me to spend the last few months with my loving brother.

I lost a big piece of my life when my brother passed away.   I’m waiting daily for the phone to ring and that loving voice on the other end saying “hey bro, it’s meeee your brotherrrr” My down syndrome brother had the mental development of a ten to twelve year old and the social development better than most people I know.  He had holes between the chambers of his heart which caused the heart to work overtime. The doctors decided to fix that when he was about twenty five years old. They managed to patch the holes but that was before blood was being checked for pathogens and he contacted hepatitis B. His heart worked too hard before it was repaired and he still had an enlarged heart which lead to congestive heart failure and the hepatitis attacked his liver and that’s what took him from us.

As a kid the boy was a little demon with a twinkle in his eye and the desire to live life to its fullest. We couldn’t turn our backs on the little rascal or he would be gone in a flash. One time when he was about six years old he managed to slip away undetected and the whole neighbor, the sheriffs  and fire departments spent eight hours searching for him only to find him less than a mile away asleep in a ditch. When he was a little older he snuck out and rode his bike to our aunt and uncles house twenty miles away. Oh, then there was time he decided to visit a friend in southern California. He took the busses through Sacramento and made to the airport and was trying to get on a plane before someone figured out that something might be amiss, he accomplished all this with no money in his pockets.

When I started Cowboy Shooting he came with me. He was well known at many annual shoots around California and Nevada. At that time I was known as Red Dog, but Tommy decided that he should be Red Dog and I would have to fine a new name. He got a new name at the great High Sierra shootout many years ago. He was closing up the Gouge Eye bar, which he did frequently, where he was enjoying a soda, peanuts and a friendly card game and came back to camp with a pocket full of peanuts. The camp was asleep as he always was the last to come home from any party that he found. The next morning we found a pile of peanut shells next to his bed roll. This was also a time before fifth wheels and trailers so we had a portable shower set up in our camp which he refused to use and by the end of this trip he had a new handle that would stick with him for the rest of his life. He never appreciated being called Stinky Chipmunk but the name fit him so well. He had changed his name so many times through out his travels with me that folks would ask him when we arrived to a shoot “Ok Tommy what are we calling you this time”.

We spent the last 9 months of his life together and it was a truly awesome experience. BeeBad, who is a traveling nurse, took an assignment in the Sacramento area and I spent my days hanging out with my bro so my sister who was his primary care provider could work. He had very few bad days and was never in any great pain. He slipped into a coma a couple of days before he passed and never knew how sick he really was. Tommy (Slim Eagle) touched everyone’s life that he came in contact with. Some how he just made you a better person when he was near you. I will miss him forever and we were blessed to have him in our lives. I guess the hole in my heart will slowly mend but it is going to take a very long time.   

Jasper Agate

SASS# 11697                                                                                                                                                                   

• Like 7

We've lost so many good friends...

1823140684_RioJustice-(R.I.P.).jpg.a249e147ac018112404187ba931ad4d6.jpg

Rio Justice 

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 2

1517971163_RiphawkJackPalmerWelchR.I.P.jpg.ffe581fdc961bd0ab841c038d1fd23e4.jpg

Rip Hawk - (Jack Palmer Welch, R.I.P.)

Jack Palmer Welch, 82, of Sallisaw, Oklahoma died Friday, June 2, 2017 at Mercy Hospice in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. He was born September 3, 1934 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma the son of Harold and Alma (Ivey) Welch. Jack attended Capitol Hill High School and the University of Oklahoma. He worked for the Army Corps of Engineers beginning in 1955: first as a laboratory technician and later as a boat operator on Robert S. Kerr Reservoir. He was on active duty with the Army as a radio operator in Germany in 1957 and 1958. Jack worked on minuteman missile sites in North Dakota and Wyoming and Corps dams in Kansas and Oklahoma, retiring from the Corps in 1989. Settling in Sallisaw in 1966, he married Patricia Ann Martin on August 8, 1969. After his career with the government, he operated Top Dog Video in Sallisaw with his wife Pat for several years. Jack was a dog lover, enjoyed fishing, and later became an avid participant in Cowboy Action Shooting with the Single Action Shooters Society. He was preceded in death by his wife of 40 years, Pat; his parents, Harold and Alma (Ivey) Welch; and sister, Suzi Shires of Garland, TX.

He is survived by: son:

William "Bill" Welch and daughter in law Mary of Indian Hills, CO

son: Kirby Rayd Welch of Centerville, MO

daughter: Jacquelyn "Lyndi" Welch of Tulsa, OK

son: Eric Welch and daughter in law Jessie of Cooter, MO

9 grandchildren and ten great grandchildren

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 1

In memory of Ripshin, (Mike Woods) SASS Life #20556, Territorial Governor, Regulator

2097300192_Ripshin-(R.I.P.)InmemoryofRipshin(MikeWoods)SASSLife20556TerritorialGovernorRegulator.jpg.abb0b5ed79924106e5d9186332b8a44d.jpg

Ripshin

• Like 1

1972052363_RiverWalker(GrantTangye)anhiswifeWendyChinaBar.jpg.75a48e8a2e616bd854e1d83861a5f013.jpg 

River Walker (Grant Tangye, R.I.P.) in better times, with his wife Wendy, China Bar.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got word yesterday that longtime North Texas shooter Coyote Claude passed this past Friday. He will certainly be missed for his attitude, good natured wit and willingness to do any posse chore asked. Vaya con Dios, my friend.

( Chore, I meant CHORE, Miss Moe!)

Edited by Goody, SASS #26190
p!ss poor spelling
  • Sad 2

2020 took one of our Minnesota friends... 

457714565_ItascaBill.jpg.334af620684cbf8df32671e0087d5dd0.jpg

Itasca Bill - (Bill Picht, June 25. 1942 - April 12, 2020)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1