SASS Wire Forum

Busted knuckles!

DeaconKC

Wow, went to the range today checking equipment for Saturday's match. Made sure the Stoeger was running right and then tried a new gun out, a Bounty Hunter 2. Holeeee cats! That beastie almost had my knuckle bleeding after 6 rounds. Well, I will find a hammer gun eventually for Classic, but this one got traded on the way home! At least I got my money back out of it.

When they first came out, I got to try one that the owner said hurt him to shoot.

At the range I shot both barrels (one at a time) and he was correct.

It hurt to shoot that gun.

Went over to my truck and got my Rossi Overland out.

Took it to the unloading table and set it on top of the Baikal.

There was a big difference in the stock shape.

The top of the Baikal stock was a good 1" taller than the Rossi.

Owner wanted to try something so we had the gunsmith that was with us, cut the stock top off.

Cut the stock from the receiver removing the raised section.

Re cut the stock butt angle a little to match the Rossi.

After doing this and sanding the stock where it was cut, the shotgun started hitting where aimed and the hurting was gone.

After the testing was done, the stock was cleaned up rather well and it was hard to notice the top cut off unless you were looking for.

Remington Field 2 3/4 7 1/2. Just the sad story of good gun, good ammo, bad combination on my hand. I've run 100-150 rounds of 12 Gauge slugs and #4 Buck in an afternoon before with training and never beat my knuckle up like that since shooting a Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. And it dropped the empties out effortlessly. Rats...

Try a Huglu  Cowboy Deluxe Hammered , this is the company that made the weatherby doubles and make the Sharptail line they are made in turkey 

On mine all the scews were timed including those on the buttplate ....

They are a little stiff to start but they are quality Built ... Chomed lined bores make for really easy clean-up for use with smokie powder ...

Jabez Cowboy 

1 minute ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Try a Guglu  Cowboy Deluxe Hammered , this is the company that made the weatherby doubles and make the Sharptail line they are made in turkey 

On mine all the scews were timed including those on the buttplate ....

They are a little stiff to start but they are quality Built ... Chomed lined bores make for really easy clean-up for use with smokie powder ...

Jabez Cowboy 

Did you mean Huglu? I've never heard of Guglu.

Ooh, I just looked up Huglu SxS, those are pretty!

And yup, still praying for you, sounds like the old circuit riding preachers, travelling to cover a church in need.

A Rossi Overland on top of a Baikal BHII, breech face to breech face. The difference is about 3/8 inch. If I moved it back so they were butt to butt, the Baikal would be proportionally taller, of course.

BaikalOverland.jpg

5 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

A Rossi Overland on top of a Baikal BHII, breech face to breech face. The difference is about 3/8 inch. If I moved it back so they were butt to butt, the Baikal would be proportionally taller, of course.

BaikalOverland.jpg

Thanks for that picture, it explains a lot. as I have large paws, I can see why it hit so hard. The way my knuckle looks right now, it may have some really good colors tomorrow!

15 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

And I thought I owned all the Rossi Overlands.

Guess I missed one!<GG>

I gots two or three around here somewhere. And an old Stevens "Hammer Gun". And a 26 inch TNN. Gotta get these things sold in the near future.

41 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I gots two or three around here somewhere. And an old Stevens "Hammer Gun". And a 26 inch TNN. Gotta get these things sold in the near future.

You decide on selling one of those Rossi's let me know!

7 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Wow, went to the range today checking equipment for Saturday's match. Made sure the Stoeger was running right and then tried a new gun out, a Bounty Hunter 2. Holeeee cats! That beastie almost had my knuckle bleeding after 6 rounds. Well, I will find a hammer gun eventually for Classic, but this one got traded on the way home! At least I got my money back out of it.

Guess I'd better git rid of the 1 I shot for 12 years & the 2 my girls shoot. ;)

7 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Guess I'd better git rid of the 1 I shot for 12 years & the 2 my girls shoot. ;)

Yup, you better jump right on that! And quick!

4 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

DeaconKC,

Have you tried a TTN?

Not yet, and man, my knuckle is a nice shade of purple this morning.

30 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

The TTN is the hammer double of choice by most Classic Cowboy shooters.  They look great, are easy to cock and very durable.  If you are going to Dark Day, you are welcome to try mine.

I hear nothing but good stuff about them. Also, the CZ by Huglu seems to be very popular.

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, you better jump right on that! And quick!

:D:D

Archived