SASS Wire Forum

What Would You Choose to Do?

DocWard

The "Mean Knife" thread, and my comment to it, got me thinking, which we all know is dangerous. I had mentioned a karambit wielded by Doug Marcaida as something that would definitely scare me. However, as a martial artist, I would love to take one of his training seminars. That's where the thinking came in. I began wandering what type of training others here would like to take. Non-Firearms training, of course. I mean, I assume all of us here would be happy to do some sort of firearms related training.

So, if you could take a training seminar, whether a day, a weekend, or a week, what would it be? Martial arts? Bob Ross Style Painting? Knife forging? Welding? Ballroom Dance?

I'd like to learn how to make those fancy Japanese hand cut dovetails with a handsaw and chisels.  I doubt I could learn it in a week but it might be enough to get me started on the right path.  I'd also like to take a class from Malcolm Tibbitts on segmented woodturning.  

Well I am taking banjo lessons; both playing and building them.

I would love to fly out and learn from Yul Lose for a week or two.

I'm considering a week of training building Flintlock Rifles; I know a few master rifle makers through Americanlongrifles.org. Actually maintain a website for one of them.

Do it now.  Do you think you will be more strong, able, nimble talented etc. next year?

I’ve always wanted to learn deep relief wood carving with an emphasis on wildlife in their surroundings and the Geisler-Moroder Wood Carving School in Austria would be my choice.

Big Sage:

Come with me to East Africa Uganda prepared to work bettering the lives in a  Northern Village and I will train you to Weld ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I just got a decent telescope as a Christmas gift.

I think I want to learn more about Astronomy. I will have to glean info online for now. Community Colleges aren't offering classes in astronomy right now.

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I just got a decent telescope as a Christmas gift.

I think I want to learn more about Astronomy. I will have to glean info online for now. Community Colleges aren't offering classes in astronomy right now.

There is a good Ap for this too. It is called "Skyview Lite".

4 hours ago, Noz said:

Do it now.  Do you think you will be more strong, able, nimble talented etc. next year?

Actually... Yes. LOL... I haven't been sparring or doing anything one-on-one since the pandemic began, and have only really been doing forms/kata practice. While helpful, it doesn't give the same experience or motivation as working against another martial artist, and without classes, and with everything else going on in my life, my overall fitness has suffered. So... Yeah, if this thing goes away and I get back to training, I expect I will be stronger, more able, more nimble and my reflexes improved from what they currently are.

That aside, if Doug Marcaida  (or a few other martial artists I can think of) were to come locally with a seminar, and I could swing the cost, I would jump at the chance.

I think I would love to be a carrier, general blacksmith, or a Messerschmidt.  My great grandfather was a blacksmith, as were some of my other McIntyre ancestors.

I’ve  watched Forged in Fire so much, I can tell when a smith is heading in the wrong direction.  But, armchair quarterbacking is easy.

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I’ve  watched Forged in Fire so much, I can tell when a smith is heading in the wrong direction.  But, armchair quarterbacking is easy.

Agreed

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Gun-smithing for Marlin 1894 and gunfighter category training with Widder or crew.

bgavin,

Thanks.    I've given just a couple of small courses on some basic areas of the Marlin 1894.

I've given a handful of classes on shooting the 1897 shotgun.   I've actually had some reasonably

high attendance on those.

Of course, ALL are free of charge, even the 1 on 1 sessions.

If I can ever be of help, just holler.

As for GF info, Buck D Law (Alabama fame) has a GF 101 booklet he has put together.   Try to get in touch

with Buck and he will send you that GF 101 info.   Buck is a great feller.

..........Widder

12 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

How to use all these "great" functions on my smart phone!! LOL. For real....welding.

Me too. My welding experience has been out when I was a park ranger. Not all mr teachers were competent. :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, DocWard said:

The "Mean Knife" thread, and my comment to it, got me thinking, which we all know is dangerous. I had mentioned a karambit wielded by Doug Marcaida as something that would definitely scare me. However, as a martial artist, I would love to take one of his training seminars. That's where the thinking came in. I began wandering what type of training others here would like to take. Non-Firearms training, of course. I mean, I assume all of us here would be happy to do some sort of firearms related training.

So, if you could take a training seminar, whether a day, a weekend, or a week, what would it be? Martial arts? Bob Ross Style Painting? Knife forging? Welding? Ballroom Dance?

This has nothing to add substanance to your post...but...

After watching several episodes of Forged In Fire last month, we finally turned in.

ALL.NIGHT.LONG. I dreamt. I was constantly turning corners in a forge (like an old ghost ship forge)...

and at every turn I heard "it will Keeeeel":ph34r:

Adding to the above... a "class" usually isn't worth a whole lot.
There is a huge difference between a class and "mentoring" on a 1:1 basis.

IMO, the student has to have a good understanding before even starting a mentoring session.
From my perspective in the computer business, "What is a mouse, and how do I move it?" is nothing I want to mentor.
Everybody has to start somewhere, but not all of us are suited for mentoring newbies.

Conversely, I would be embarrassed to be mentored in gunsmithing without first being fully immersed in disassembly and reassembly where it is second nature.

We tried ballroom dancing, but I have three left feet... and not well suited for that.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

Adding to the above... a "class" usually isn't worth a whole lot.

I’ll have to disagree. A class, with a proper instructor will give you a base from which you can then expand your knowledge and experienced. If you’re extremely lucky you may eventually find a mentor. But there are more students that mentors unfortunately. As you said, not everyone is suitable for that. The agency I used to work for came up with a brilliant mentoring program once. They simply assigned people to be mentors, and then assigned mentees to them. :rolleyes:

Needless to say it was a complete failure. Okay maybe not complete. But a 90% failure. 

If you have a class under your belt you at least have somewhere to start and with practice and trial and error you may become competent in the field. A bit of talent helps. (That’s why I’m not a ballroom dancer either) 

Of course in the field of demolitions, a class is essential. Trial and error only works once. :

Well I can weld. but I would like to take a good class with "take home" charts and text.  It's good to know what rod or wire to use and get some good instruction.

Archived