SASS Wire Forum

Need coach gun advice.

The Hero of Canton

Got a neighbor selling a 

Remington Baikal SPR 220

Shoud I pick it up for $350 and is it period?

SASS legal in its design? 

It has extractors, but does not let fly the empties.  Its crispy tight and will need break in, lock lever and spring adjustment. 

20210103_175146.jpg

Yeah, it's probably a good buy.  I shoot a Baikal hammerless, although I prefer the long-barreled version (28 or 30"...can't recall just now).  It is SASS-legal, and hammerless doubles were beginning to appear in the 19th Century.

Stay well and safe, Pard!

Ok. Yay.  Easy enough. Ill give it a review when we have it. 

$350 is a pretty dang good buy on an MP220 or Bounty Hunter. Have someone who knows how time the cocking levers, or just buy & install a set of Papa Dave's levers, and your tune up is at least 50% done!

The Baikal are popular.  They are also heavy-duty.  Hammerless like that were uncommon in the old west, but that doesn't matter.  Baikals usually have a tendency for the barrels to not want to stay open all the way for reloading.  That is what Papa Dave's cocking levers will correct (the stock ones can also have their profile reground).  But there is a work-around until you can get that done.  After you open the shotgun all the way to shuck empties, push the opening lever back towards the left with your thumb and that will hold the barrels open for the reload.  I did that for about a year when I first got my Baikal before having it gunsmithed 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, The Hero of Canton said:

Got a neighbor selling a 

Remington Baikal SPR 220

Shoud I pick it up for $350 and is it period?

SASS legal in its design? 

It has extractors, but does not let fly the empties.  Its crispy tight and will need break in, lock lever and spring adjustment. 

20210103_175146.jpg

Buy it!

If you don’t, send me his number lol. 

1 hour ago, The Hero of Canton said:

Ok. Yay.  Easy enough. Ill give it a review when we have it. 

Here is a link to the Papa Dave cocking levers.

http://www.papadaveguncarts.com/page05.html

Randy

While I'm certain the cocking levers will help, I would suggest a full action job. Bob Sanders, aka Texas Gunslinger has been working these for the last 20+ years. You'll get a gun back that you will not recognize. Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Bob Sanders

972-617-6511

gun1@chilitech.com

Remember when shipping, you already own the gun. So you can ship directly to him, and he can ship directly back to you. No FFL fees will be be incurred. The least expensive way is the USPS.

Johnny Meadows also does excellent work on Bakails. 

7 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

While I'm certain the cocking levers will help, I would suggest a full action job. Bob Sanders, aka Texas Gunslinger has been working these for the last 20+ years. You'll get a gun back that you will not recognize. Anyway, that's my suggestion.

Bob Sanders

972-617-6511

gun1@chilitech.com

Remember when shipping, you already own the gun. So you can ship directly to him, and he can ship directly back to you. No FFL fees will be be incurred. The least expensive way is the USPS.

^^^^THIS^^^^

BTW he lives about an hour south of you in Red Oak TX. I would call him and arrange for a FTF transfer

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Bob Sanders

972-617-6511

gun1@chilitech.com

Bob’s a FFL correct?

8 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Bob’s a FFL correct?

Yes he is.

And. If you don't take that gun.

I will also. Just pm me.

We are close enough I can run over and get it.

Gunslinger is the man for those guns.

I shot one for years.

If I remember right from Sat. You are right handed.

He can swap the triggers and make it much easier for you to get to

that back trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived