SASS Wire Forum

SOLD Charles Daly 512 12GA 22"

Tyrel Cody

SOLD Charles Daly 512 12GA 22" Action Job by Boomstick Jay. I picked this up in a trade with Boomstick and haven't shot it in a match, just some practice; decided I'll stick with my SKB's. $1100 shipped to your FFL(MUST accept from a non-FFL).

Drool...

Looking at the chamfer on the chambers, I like that the lower part of the ring is not molested, leaving a good seat for the shells while easing reload.

I would look badass with that shottie! Alas, no funds.

Hey Tyrel, I'll trade you my Papa Dave worked Yildiz with 20 inch barrels :-). My rifle and pistols are both done by Boomstick. :-) It would look good next to my SKB :-) :-) 

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cryder said:

Tyrel, does it have the screw in chokes in the barrels. Thanks CC

It does not. Pretty sure it was cut down, there are no threads at the muzzle that I can see.

Good Looking Shotgun. When is your next match? Mid month or last Saturday this month?

1 minute ago, Yohan said:

Good Looking Shotgun. When is your next match? Mid month or last Saturday this month?

2nd Saturday in Bowling Green, KY,  I don't make it down to Wartrace as often as I'd like(2 hours vs 50 minutes).

ok makes sense to me wartrace is also 2 hours for me to but I like shooting that one I may have to come up and shoot bowling green some weekend. My buddy is just getting started and trying to get him setup with some guns we drove over to Greenville S.C. and bought a rifle and holster rig From J.B. ????? So now we are looking for him a Double barrel as my 97's are a bit to heavy and he doesn't really care for my Yildiz send me the info to your shoot in Bowling Green jdunn#epbfi.com thanks whoe knows maybe I can get Barkeep to come with.

1 minute ago, Yohan said:

ok makes sense to me wartrace is also 2 hours for me to but I like shooting that one I may have to come up and shoot bowling green some weekend. My buddy is just getting started and trying to get him setup with some guns we drove over to Greenville S.C. and bought a rifle and holster rig From J.B. ????? So now we are looking for him a Double barrel as my 97's are a bit to heavy and he doesn't really care for my Yildiz send me the info to your shoot in Bowling Green jdunn#epbfi.com thanks whoe knows maybe I can get Barkeep to come with.

https://greenrivergunslingers.com/

Y'all come any time; we'll treat you so many ways you'll have to like one of them.

Tyrel, is this a good recommendation over a Stoeger?
I am hopeful that somebody is making a higher quality SxS than Stoeger, without jumping into the premium class.
Academic interest only... just curious.

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Tyrel, is this a good recommendation over a Stoeger?
I am hopeful that somebody is making a higher quality SxS than Stoeger, without jumping into the premium class.
Academic interest only... just curious.

Pretty much anything is better than a Stoeger built in the last 2-3 years.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about these guns. Capt. George Baylor did a write up on them in the Cowboy Chronicle. Boomstick Jay has given his blessing and he is unquestionably one of the best CAS Gunsmiths. 

I'm no gunsmith, but it is a well made gun and the metal seems good. It is lighter than my SKB 100. It has single mechanical triggers that some desire. It is a little stiffer than I like, don't know if it will loosen up any more or not.  I notice that my inertia reset all open easier than my mechanical trigger guns; no idea why that is, but I'm sticking with inertia.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Pretty much anything is better than a Stoeger built in the last 2-3 years.

Yep.  I learned that lesson the hard way.
I read the Captain's write-up in the Chronicle.. piqued my interest.
I got lucky instead, wound up with Deuce's Charles Daly (Miroku) 1970s era. 
A real keeper.

29 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Capt. George Baylor did a write up on them in the Cowboy Chronicle. Boomstick Jay has given his blessing and he is unquestionably one of the best CAS Gunsmiths.

Captain George Baylor's review of this shotgun also got me interested in it, and I'm happy to report that it is indeed a great firearm! I actually recently wrote a review article about the 512T from a newer shooter's perspective, and I'm honored that it was just published in the January 2021 issue of The Cowboy Chronicle too. It starts on page 28 if anybody is interested in checking it out.

If you're considering one but are fence about this listing, Tyrel Cody is offering it for a very fair price considering the work that has been done to it!

8 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Pretty sure it was cut down, there are no threads at the muzzle that I can see.

It makes sense that this particular model was cut down and therefore has no screw-in chokes because I believe the models with a gold-colored trigger (as opposed to a plain/stainless steel one) started life with 28" barrels, at least according to the Charles Daly website. Either way, it's a great shotgun!

1 hour ago, Santa Rosa Slinger said:

Captain George Baylor's review of this shotgun also got me interested in it, and I'm happy to report that it is indeed a great firearm! I actually recently wrote a review article about the 512T from a newer shooter's perspective, and I'm honored that it was just published in the January 2021 issue of The Cowboy Chronicle too. It starts on page 28 if anybody is interested in checking it out.

If you're considering one but are fence about this listing, Tyrel Cody is offering it for a very fair price considering the work that has been done to it!

It makes sense that this particular model was cut down and therefore has no screw-in chokes because I believe the models with a gold-colored trigger (as opposed to a plain/stainless steel one) started life with 28" barrels, at least according to the Charles Daly website. Either way, it's a great shotgun!

Correct, when I last spoke with Jay he said he got in some 28” 512’s and was going to cut them down, he said he liked 22” because the extra weight likes them drop open a little better than the 20” 512 coach gun. 

I have been using a CD 512 for about 6 months now from Jay @ Boomstick Arms.  The barrels have been cut to 22", and has his full action job.  He really does great work, the shotgun is lightweight and handles really well.  The forcing cones have been lengthened and a Kick-eez recoil pad added, which does help with recoil   I also have a 512T (coach model) from Jay did without a Kick-eez, but with all the same work done as the 512 and you can tell a difference in recoil.  It's been a great shotgun for the money.  It was a big upgrade from the Stoeger I was using so if you are looking for a good quality competition shotgun the 512 may be for you.

Here is a video of it in action: 

2 minutes ago, Bingo Montana said:

I have been using a CD 512 for about 6 months now from Jay @ Boomstick Arms.  The barrels have been cut to 22", and has his full action job.  He really does great work, the shotgun is lightweight and handles really well.  The forcing cones have been lengthened and a Kick-eez recoil pad added, which does help with recoil   I also have a 512T (coach model) from Jay did without a Kick-eez, but with all the same work done as the 512 and you can tell a difference in recoil.  It's been a great shotgun for the money.  It was a big upgrade from the Stoeger I was using so if you are looking for a good quality competition shotgun the 512 may be for you.

Here is a video of it in action: 

Bingo,

Nice job on these stages, Pard. You should retire and do the cowboy thing more often. Sorry, after yesterday, couldn't resist

• 1 month later...
  • Tyrel Cody changed the title to SOLD Charles Daly 512 12GA 22"

Archived