SASS Wire Forum

sxs SKB, CZ, or Stoeger

Hoss Shoer

On the fence about what SXS to upgrade to. SKB, CZ Sharptail or a Stoeger. What are the pros and cons? 

I'm wanting to get a gun thats had all the work done, tuned up and is ready to go. 

What do you think? Thanks.

Happy NEW YEAR!!

Stoeger is entry level

i upgraded to SKB from a Bakail. Considered a sharptail and a Charles Daly. Not enough data points on them yet. 

I always only buy slicked up guns so good for you.  I started with a Stoeger but they wear out sooner than higher end guns.  Moved to SKB and felt it pointed better.  Single trigger so I found the recoil did not come back on me as it did with double trigger.  SKB is nice but I am sick of having the sticks crack/split due to stress of where metal has little flutes where it joins wood.  For a cowboy shooter I practice my shotgun a lot, from picking up and shooting to putting it down as in a match.  All three of my SKBs have had stock issues.  I am a true believer in Long Hunter and have a new, tuned, CZSharptail coach on the way.  Will see how I like it and will either keep it or go back to SKB.  Some like the Charles Daiky but I saw too many who do not.  In the next four months I will be a true believer in the Sharotail or will be shooting my SKBs.  You can probably buy two r three Stoegers or Baikals for the price of a SKB or CZ.  You will probably do just fine with whatever you get.  I have seen plenty fast shooters shooting Stiegers or Baikals but I wanted to try a CZ and see how the recoil effects me.

I have three Stoegers.  One is wore out.  They are serviceable, entry-level shotguns.  I recently bought a Longhunter-tuned CZ Sharptail.  I prefer shooting it to the Stoegers.  It has a chrome-lined barrel that facilitates removing melted plastic from black powder shotgun shells.  Borrow the shotguns you are interested in for a stage at a local match.  You will have preferences.  Like shoes, try before you buy.

3 hours ago, Hoss Shoer said:

On the fence about what SXS to upgrade to. SKB, CZ Sharptail or a Stoeger.

If you are looking at a Stoeger as an upgrade, I'm wondering what piece of junk you are shooting now.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Stoeger is entry level

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I have three Stoegers.  One is wore out.  They are serviceable, entry-level shotguns. 

In a sense, this is true. I think it might be more fair though to say the Stoeger is the lowest cost of entry for a reliable reasonably competitive supported gun. I think "functional basic" would be a better description.

Entry level would be the unslicked ATI for (IIRC) $275 with a case of ammo; it was a stupid-cheap deal at the time. The gun is not worth slicking. And did not shuck shells, this after breaking it open across the knee. Instant speed limit!

I got my used slicked Stoeger for $500. An SKB would be about 2.5X more. But the SKB might last that much longer so then it might be about the same price over the long run.

I have also shot a slicked SKB. It is a bit heavier, and does feel a bit difference in-hand. I can't say that feel makes a difference to me, but do think the SKB has a better qualitative feel in-hand. The higher weight will reduce felt recoil. Running soft loads will make a bigger difference in recoil than just the gun weight difference.

I think I could be a bit faster with an SKB, but I have no complaints with my Stoeger and I have certainly not hit any speed limits with it. Should I upgrade again, I will keep the Stoeger at least as a backup and loaner if not as (by then) an old favorite.

The qualitative differences might be more important to you than to me, I certainly appreciate there are differences. I am aware of them. But they do not get me past any current speed limit.

Don't buy until you shoot each possible choice. How each feels in-hand might be your deciding factor.

I started with a Stoeger, then went to a TTN, and I really liked it but it was so heavy my elbow couldn't stand it. I went to another Stoeger, then reversed the triggers and that helped some. I then went to an SKB and never looked back. I now have 2 SKB's.

Randy

Want one that lasts and is real reliable?   Are you strong enough to handle an almost 8 pound gun?   The Browning BSS.   It's a mechanical trigger reset, so it can shoot as light a shell as you want.  Will probably outlive you.  And it won't break butt stocks.

Good luck, GJ

IMO Browning is the Best. I've broken 2 Stoegers over the years. SKB is light and swings well. I've never tried the new CZ but would really like to. 

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Want one that lasts and is real reliable?   Are you strong enough to handle an almost 8 pound gun?   The Browning BSS.   It's a mechanical trigger reset, so it can shoot as light a shell as you want.  Will probably outlive you.  And it won't break butt stocks.

Good luck, GJ

I liked way the BSS looked and still might buy one if I found a good deal but I really didn't like the way they felt in hand, maybe it was the weight? 

Randy

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

Hoss can shoot a SXS one in each hand if he felt like it........Hoss asked about this because there is an SKB for sale locally.  I haven't has seen a Browning BSS in a very long while. Last one I knew about went to a shooter in Salt Lake.......

Bugler

I have a black cloud over me as far as Stoegers are concerned.  I killed three of them... between cracking off the bottom of the forward lug (x2), losing one of the tips, and then cracking a 3rd... followed by a stock that rapidly disintegrated... I swore off them.

Jim Bowie did a nice job for me on a Winchester 24.  I still have that in the safe.  I've gone to an SKB 200e from Doc Noper, and an SKB 150 from Johnny Meadows and I'm happy.  I haven't had the opportunity to handle a BSS yet.

Nah.  Bottom of the Spectrum is the TTN/Cimarron '78 Replica.  Then one moves UP to a Pedersoli.  Or the new Pietta (also Pedersoli).  

After all, Real Coach Guns had Exposed Hammers dontcha know.

Most consider the SKB as top of the line and is priced accordingly, especially one well slicked up.  They come in different models with the 100 being the lightest and the 200, etc heavier.

The BSS is also excellent but can be hard to find.

I hear good things about the new Charles Daly and the older Charles Dalys were essentially SKB's as I recall.

Not sure of the CZ but the folks selling them have a good reputation so they cannot be bad.

Baikels are very stout and can bee good after being tuned up - but no longer readily available and not as smooth as some of the others.

Stoegers have been pretty well discussed.

On the SKB and wood issues, sounds like the wood needs to be better matched to the metal if they are splitting.  That and some accuglass to strengthen them will fix you up.

7 hours ago, Dream Chaser, SASS #79316 said:

...I started with a Stoeger but they wear out sooner than higher end guns.  Moved to SKB and felt it pointed better.  Single trigger so I found the recoil did not come back on me as it did with double trigger...

Howdy Dream Chaser.  I have never shot an SKB nor any single trigger shotgun, but am curious.  I know stock angle and weight will affect recoil, but I'm trying to understand how the single trigger would feel different.

When did Browning cease production of the BSS?

Bugler

Think it was late eighties? Someone else may know better. Have 2 browning's. Like the little bit of weight as takes recoil very well.

4 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

older Charles Dalys were essentially SKB's as I recall.

Nope, they are Miroku's built almost to the BSS pattern.  Which makes them a "lower price almost replacement" for a BSS.

Good luck, GJ

8 hours ago, Snakebite said:

IMO Browning is the Best. I've broken 2 Stoegers over the years. SKB is light and swings well. I've never tried the new CZ but would really like to. 

Snakebite,

I just picked up a new Long hunter CZ Hammer Coach. Let me know if you want to shoot it at the January KRR match.

Used Boito/Stoeger when I first started then a friend had a SKB 200E at a good price..after the necessary things were done it was full steam ahead, good weight, swings well & yes the timber cracked & broke where it joins the reciever but nothing that couldn't be fixed with glue & dowels, no problems since & works a treat.

For me the mechanical trigger was a must. 

6 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Snakebite,

I just picked up a new Long hunter CZ Hammer Coach. Let me know if you want to shoot it at the January KRR match.

WOW! Good for you. I won't make it to the January match  but you dern tootin I want to shootin it.  By the way don't drag your feet,  get signed up for Fort Miller. It's been open for 3 days and we are 1/4 full. I think it is going sell out fast. 

Snakebite

I think SKB is the way to go.  Try both a 100 and 200 and see which one you prefer.  Both Fast Eddie and Lefty Wheeler do a great job slicking them up.  I would bet the majority of the hammerless SxS shooters on the first page of the score sheet for EOT shoot a Fast Eddie SKB.

Totes

Old # 4 has some Browning BSS in his stable for sale. I found one at a local gun shop and had Old # 4 work his magic on it, am getting mine back from him this weekend. I have been shooting SKB's for the last 3+ years. Only problem I have had is the one I had converted to mechanic triggers would occasionally not cock the barrels after shooting and re-opening. I had it converted back to the original inertia trigger system problem when away.  I have since sold it, and acquired another one that was untouched. I had Persimmon Dan work the gun over (it's 100) and it has become my main match shotgun. I also have a 200 E that I shoot occasionally it has been converted to mechanical trigger reset, works fine. I am looking forward to shooting the Browning BSS.

I haven't tried the Charles Dalys but have heard good things about them when you can get one.

TB 

17 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Nope, they are Miroku's built almost to the BSS pattern.  Which makes them a "lower price almost replacement" for a BSS.

After my new Stoeger broke the hinge, I got lucky and picked up Deuce's 1970s era Miroku Charles Daly.
The slick work was already done (Lassiter or Noper??)
If mine is a near copy of the BSS, then the BSS is helluva fine SxS.
My 20" weighs in at exactly 6.25 pounds empty on our beam-balance scale.

The Daly 500's were made by Miroku and were the predecessors of the Browning BSS which were also made by Miroku. Main difference is the Daly's have double triggers and extractors, vs. BSS single trigger and ejectors. Miroku currently makes the Browning BT-99 and Clitori shotguns which are quality products. I had a Daly 500 and stupidly sold it. IMHO, it's as good as it gets for CAS. Now keep plugging along with a 17 year old Stoger. As backup a Norinco 99 hammered sledgehammer made out of old Nippon or Russian tanks.

On the fence about what SXS to upgrade to. SKB, CZ Sharptail or a Stoeger.

If you are looking at a Stoeger as an upgrade, I'm wondering what piece of junk you are shooting no

ill dittos this ... im still shooting a stoeger some of the time but it was my first purchased SASS shotgun , prior to that i was shooting a stevens i already owned , what are you currently shooting ? 

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

On the fence about what SXS to upgrade to. SKB, CZ Sharptail or a Stoeger.

If you are looking at a Stoeger as an upgrade, I'm wondering what piece of junk you are shooting no

ill dittos this ... im still shooting a stoeger some of the time but it was my first purchased SASS shotgun , prior to that i was shooting a stevens i already owned , what are you currently shooting ? 

I've been shooting an old Rossi sxs. It's a good gun but not top notch. All my other guns are tuned up, the sxs is the hitch in my giddy up.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bugler said:

When did Browning cease production of the BSS?

Bugler

I think 84 or 85

6 hours ago, Hoss Shoer said:

I've been shooting an old Rossi sxs. It's a good gun but not top notch. All my other guns are tuned up, the sxs is the hitch in my giddy up.

Hoss shoer when you going to put together some shoots in Miles City.  I could come up and maybe we could get BethAnn and Ty to shoot.  

Archived