SASS Wire Forum

Lightning McCoy has passed

Keystone, SASS # 47578

It is with great sorrow I let y'all know that yesterday my good pard Lightning McCoy passed away. If you shot in the Southeast you probably had an occasion to meet him. Especially the cowboys and cowgirls from Tennessee, Georgia & Kentucky. Lightning was a friend to all with an optimistic outlook and a cheerful spirit. He was a Boy Scout in his youth and embodied the Boy Scout Law: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean & Reverent. He was as a big brother to me and I miss him so. 

Vaya con Dios Amigo, Keystone

Lightning was one of the first 2 Cowboys I met when I visited the local Cowboy shooters one Saturday morning, 16 years ago.

I won't forget meeting him.   Tall, well statured, and smiling..... reaching out to shake my hand and introducing himself.

He wore the prettiest leather and biggest pistols I think I ever saw at that time.

I traveled with him on my first trip to Kentucky state.   Traveled with him to Wartrace atleast once, maybe my 1st trip there also.

The man embodied a good human spirit.   I mean, he was just a decent man all around.   Never seemed to say an unkind word

about anyone or towards anyone.

And one more thing..... Lightning believed in The Lord.   And he believed in eternal life once this life was over.

He was a blessing to know.    And like Keystone... I will miss him.

Love ya Lightning!

..........Widder

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The man embodied a good human spirit.   I mean, he was just a decent man all around.   Never seemed to say an unkind word

about anyone or towards anyone.

This is a memory of Lightning that will stick with me.  He always had a smile and something nice to say.  I'll miss this guy a lot.

The first stage of the first match I ever shot, my 92 rifle jammed on me.  I was so humiliated that I wanted to throw my guns in the car and never come back.  A tall well dressed cowboy took me aside and insisted that I re-shoot the stage using his 73 rifle.  If it hadn't been for him my first day of cowboy shooting would have been my last.

Soon afterwards, I sold that 92, but the helpful cowboy, Lightning McCoy, was a cherished friend for the last 16 years.

My first reaction to this news was to go scream about thirty cuss words, but that wasn't Lightning's way!!  He was a GENTLEMAN in every definition of the word!  We broke bread together at many of a match, be it banquet, restaurant, or just lunch at the range. We shot together many times!  He was ALWAYS genial and courteous and just plain nice!

Others have attested to his kindness and his character and his willingness to help a cowboy or cowgirl in a pinch, but I think the thing that I'll remember most is that he always had a way of making you feel better or smile bigger, no matter how your day was going!!

Every match I'd go to in the Southeast, I'd look for him just to share a moment, if nothing more!  

This is truly sad news!!  I wish his family and his many friends peace, comfort, and understanding.  The joy in having known him will last long after the sadness of his passing has departed.

Vaya Con Dios, my friend!! 

I wish I had gotten more opportunities to shoot with Lightning. His health issues since I joined SASS didn't give me many chances. He was a tall fella with a big hat and a sharp dressed cowboy. He treated me well and it was obvious all the other cowboys we're glad he was there. My prayers to his family. RIP Lightning

Prayers for his family.

The family will plan a memorial service later in the year when warmer weather and the Covid virus may not be an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and cards of support to the family.

Vaya con Dios, Keystone

Lightning was one of two people I met at my first SASS match, also, (meaning other than in passing,) someone I had conversation with.

Seemed I had always known him.  A friend from that day, nearly 17 years ago. He lived the Cowboy Way and showed it to others.

Shared untold numbers of matches, meals at the same table, range affairs, club business, along with his lovely wife, Ms Dee.

He showed kindness and humor, always, but if he paused for a moment in conversation he was about to give you a piece of wisdom.

His loss is too great.

Harley.

Archived