SASS Wire Forum

Bannermans

Okiepan

Those that have ever looked at the 1927 Bannermans catalog ever wish you could go back in time  and purchase all those goodies with todays wages .

If so what would you want from that magnificent catalog .

My response is EVERYTHING 

I am not familiar with Bannerman’s. 

I did a search and found this, you can buy the catalog:

Bannerman Catalogue of Military Goods, 1927 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0910676208/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_YYD8FbAFNK8KG

I found a place where you could buy reprints:

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-bannerman.php

Then I found “part 1” of a 1927 catalog:

https://archive.org/details/1927BannermanCatalogueOfMilitaryGoods-Part1

There are are at least 16 parts because I found “part 16”, but not 2-15:

https://archive.org/details/1927BannermanCatalogueOfMilitaryGoods-Part16_912/1927300j.jpg

Neat stuff! I love old catalogs and yes, I would love to be able to purchase some of those goodies with today’s wages. :D

I have owned a few Bannerman's custom guns over the years.

Do NOT look at an old Bannerman's catalog. DON"T DO IT! :(

Good find, PR~!  ^_^

Page 7 of Part I even has a Ferguson... for the bargain price of a thousand bucks!  :lol:

1222965086_BannermansFerguson.thumb.jpg.04c92455eebbf83d81e414a83749f7fb.jpg

If Major Ferguson hadn't been killed at King's Mountain, the Brits might have adopted it, at least for sharpshooters.  Washington could have been in a lot more trouble than he did during the Revolution!  I wonder how many shots you could get off before having to clean the mechanism?

Stay well and safe, Pards!

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If Major Ferguson hadn't been killed at King's Mountain, the Brits might have adopted it, at least for sharpshooters.  Washington could have been in a lot more trouble than he did during the Revolution!  I wonder how many shots you could get off before having to clean the mechanism?

Stay well and safe, Pards!

By the time Ferguson died at King's Mountain, the Brits had been bottled up in the North and had swapped to a Southern Strategy in hopes of splitting the colonies.  His rifle wouldn't have changed the results.  The Continentals in the North keeping an eye on New York were trained up and Washington had sent both Lafayette and von Stubben south to raise and train more Regulars.

Ferguson got Ferguson killed when he decided to threaten to burn the Over Mountain Men out if they didn't swear allegiance to the king.  They came back over the mountains, pinned him and his Tories up on King's Mountain, and eliminated that particular threat to their families.  You'd think that a Scotsman would have a better feel for how those folks would react.

Lore has it that Major Ferguson himself had Washington in his sights the day before the Battle of King's Mountain, but was too much the gentleman to shoot a man with his back turned:  History

Using Bore Butter my short-barreled reproduction will get fairly gummy after a dozen or so shots.  Cleanup can be tedious, and it can be a challenge to quickly align the "breech screw" if you have it out of the gun.  I expect the originals were lubed with whale oil and likely fared better.  Just speculation...  

But DAMN it's fun to shoot!  ^_^

1074355186_Fergusona.thumb.jpg.40b9da1142537635d7e58a869e44c849.jpg                 620693441_Ferguson2.jpg.721938fb7d879e6d39e8086082807859.jpg

That island is about 15 miles south of me on the Hudson river, they only recently started to allow people to visit it, but they have to stay on the marked pathways.There were tunnels that were used for storage that could collapse if walked over.Or so they say.

One of our own (Grizzly Roberts) literally co-wrote the book on the Ferguson rifle!  It is entitled "Every Insult & Indignity: The Life, Genius, and Legacy of Major Patrick Ferguson" and is available through various book outlets.  Very informative and well-written.  Grizz also had a few videos on the internet showing the speed with which it could be shot. 

On 1/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Lore has it that Major Ferguson himself had Washington in his sights the day before the Battle of King's Mountain, but was too much the gentleman to shoot a man with his back turned:  History

Using Bore Butter my short-barreled reproduction will get fairly gummy after a dozen or so shots.  Cleanup can be tedious, and it can be a challenge to quickly align the "breech screw" if you have it out of the gun.  I expect the originals were lubed with whale oil and likely fared better.  Just speculation...  

But DAMN it's fun to shoot!  ^_^

1074355186_Fergusona.thumb.jpg.40b9da1142537635d7e58a869e44c849.jpg                 620693441_Ferguson2.jpg.721938fb7d879e6d39e8086082807859.jpg

Maybe about three years before?

And yes, I wouldn't mind having one of those!

Archived