SASS Wire Forum

Light 12ga loads for new Buckaroo

Roger Rapid

My grandson just turned 12 and in hankering to be a Buckaroo and shoot with his Popop. Any of you have a nice recipe for very light 12ga loads using Clays or Clay Dot in Winchester AA hulls?

Thx...

RR

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg

Remington STS hull

ClayBuster CB0175-12 wad 

Remington 209P or Winchester 209 promer

14.1 grains of Clays

3/4 ounce of shot

Will knock down every KD I have tried as long as you hit it. Much lighter than a AA featherlite

Note: using a Federal primer will produce more recoil because it is a lot hotter than a Remington or Winchester primer.

Not for those powders but - I loaded Promo down to 10 gr for my granddaughter when she was 10 @ 7/8 oz.. Iffy in cold weather, very dirty.

Roger,

I use (approximately) 13.4 grains of Clay Dot with a Winchester AA hull,nearly any 209 primer,and just under 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot I adjust the amount of shot until I get the crimp I want.Easy shooter,handles KD's with no problem.

Choctaw

You requested loads using Clays and Clay Dot, and those are good powders.

If you find they are not light enough, you might consider going to blackpowder loads.  Blackpowder is messy, true enough, but is very forgiving in shotshells.   Black powder is legal in every category.   2.2 cc dipper of 2F powder (about 33 grains), a grey wad, and 7/8 ounce of shot feels like nothing out of a 12 gauge.  Recoil less than an .410, and the knockdowns fall.  Lady shooters who have tried it love it.  He might find the smoke and flame extra rewarding!! 

Good luck and thanks for working with the youngster!!

:)

I second J Bar's BP (or sub) load.  If you aren't familiar with BP, it's about as much powder as you would use in a .45LC.  I only use 1/2  oz. of shot and fill with glitter or confetti and overshot card to get a nice crimp.  Kids LOVE it and it gives them a chance to learn a good stance instead of a flinch.  As they get more proficient,  the transition to a light smokeless load is much easier.   

Thanks all for the input!

• I should have indicated my current loads which are: AA hulls, 14.3 Clays with #25 MEC collar,  395g #8 shot (about 7/8oz), Claybuster TGT12

(1oz) 3wads.

• Prairie Dawg; Glad to see that 13.9 works - I'll give that a try. (But I'm already using #25 - Hmmmm - I'll re-measure the load.)

• I appreciate the suggestions on BP, but I'm going stay with Clays/ClayDot for the moment.

Super New Year to you all...

RR

You can go down to 13 grains of Clays and even a little lower, if it is not cold weather (below 45 degrees.)

Of course getting the gun to fit the shooter is a big help in reducing recoil.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, Yusta B. said:

Not for those powders but - I loaded Promo down to 10 gr for my granddaughter when she was 10 @ 7/8 oz.. Iffy in cold weather, very dirty.

There is a shooter here who loaded 9.0 grains of Red Dot for many years, but he's since bumped it up to 10 with 7/8 oz shot. Maybe he finally stuck a wad in the barrel. At nine grains, you could actually see the shot ball going down range.

Use the claybuster 3/4 oz wad and the lowest published load.  In my target gun a 3/4 oz at 1250 has almost no kick, had trouble with the inertia triggers until I cleaned it.   The 3/4 wad is just like the 7/8 from the outside, but it has a bump on the inside of the shot cup to account for the 1/8 oz less shot. 

Load data http://www.claybusterwads.com/images/loaddata/CB0175-12.pdf

13.5 grains to 14 grains of Red Dot or Promo with 1 ounce loads.  Light shooting loads with just a bit more in the pattern for off center hits or for flyers.

I shoot a load of 10.5 grn's of Clays, 1 oz of shot in a grey 7/8th oz wad.  It's super light and knocks down all the SG targets around these parts.  Note:  if you have inertia triggers, it may be too light for the shotgun so test it before you load a bunch of them.  My SKB 100 has no issues with it, but my new SKB 200 won't reset every time.

If you have some Trail Boss, Deuce shared a load awhile back that works great for Buckaroos.  We had a Buckarette that shot it for a bit and did well with it until her dad got tired of loading 2 separate loads.  He moved over to my load above and they both shoot that load now.  

Totes

I don't shoot real light loads of BP but I'd be happy to make up a box or two for him to try Roger.  Course he might not want to go back to that fad powder once he does :ph34r:.  35grs of real FFG with 7/8 oz #7.5 roll crimped sounds good.

Jailhouse Jim...

You're the best - thanks. Going to stick to smokeless for him at the present time, but thanks for the offer!!

See ya...RR

12 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

Jailhouse Jim...

You're the best - thanks. Going to stick to smokeless for him at the present time, but thanks for the offer!!

See ya...RR

Afraid that he will fall on love with the smoke and flames. :P

BTW we have cookies, :)

Smoke, Flame and Cookies is how they corrupted me.

Sedalia Dave....  No, I'm afraid that I WILL ! ^_^ 

Actually, I love BP, shoot it at side events (BP Night Shoots, Long Range, etc.) and am just mostly into smokeless.

RR

This doesn't answer your question about Clays and Clay Dot, but my traveling partner loads some for his 110 pound wife with 11.5 grains of Titewad, a 7/8 ounce wad, three pinto beans under the shot and the rest of the wad filled with shot. I haven't seen a knockdown target yet that his load won't put down. Might be the beans that knock down the targets though...

On 1/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Remington STS hull

ClayBuster CB0175-12 wad 

Remington 209P or Winchester 209 promer

14.1 grains of Clays

3/4 ounce of shot

Will knock down every KD I have tried as long as you hit it. Much lighter than a AA featherlite

Note: using a Federal primer will produce more recoil because it is a lot hotter than a Remington or Winchester primer.

this is pretty much what i use as well , i use reclaimed shot - you dont need new shot , 

Archived