SASS Wire Forum

Tool Identification

Ramblin Gambler

2 of my Christmas gifts were a label maker and some drawers to organize my gun stuff.  During my organization efforts I've come across some gun stuff that I can't figure out.  Since odds are I bought this stuff on advice from you guys I'm hoping someone on here can help me identify some of it. 

I'll do one per post to keep things simple. 

The rod in the middle had a threaded end and it screws into that hole in the middle.  Once it's screwed all the way in it rotates freely.  The rod also slides into that hole on the left sode of the second picture. 

IMG_20210102_1402261.jpg

IMG_20210102_1402463.jpg

This one almost seems like it has something to do with cap and ball pistols because that looks like a nipple wrench on the end.  But I can't figure out what the rest of it is for.  Whatever it is, it looks very important and I'm sure I will need it some day. 

IMG_20210102_1403310.jpg

IMG_20210102_1403441.jpg

M-1 Garand cleaning tool.  There are more segments of the cleaning rod.  The handle can be used in breaking down the rifle.

Duffield

Think the 2nd thing is a front sight adjustment tool to push the sight in a dovetail.

5 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

M-1 Garand cleaning tool.  There are more segments of the cleaning rod.  The handle can be used in breaking down the rifle.

Duffield

Great, thanks.  Now that i know what I'm looking for, I even found the rest of the kit!  Some day someone will show me how to use it. 

End of my string, most likely is for "something" but if it fits what you need to move, you're in luck.

Maybe use a piece of lead shot to act as a cushion to not mar the sight.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

My first thought for this one was a mag extension for a 410 because it has threads on the inside and a 410 shell does fit in there.  But it's only 2 inches long and i don't have a magazine fed 410. 

IMG_20210102_1404167.jpg

IMG_20210102_1405129.jpg

IMG_20210102_1405278.jpgb

It looks like a blank firing device for the M1 Garand.  Goes on the barrel in front of the gas chamber.

JP

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

This one almost seems like it has something to do with cap and ball pistols because that looks like a nipple wrench on the end.  But I can't figure out what the rest of it is for.  Whatever it is, it looks very important and I'm sure I will need it some day. 

IMG_20210102_1403310.jpg

IMG_20210102_1403441.jpg

I'm thinking that this tool is a nipple wrench and main spring compression tool for something like a Springfield or Enfield musket.  

5 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

Did you ever get the 1893 tang , you were in need of ? 

I'm trying to remember what this was about.  I wouldn't be messing with a gun that needed an actual tang, that's way out of my depth.  I'm assuming you mean a tang sight for an 1893 rifle.  I don't have an 1893 rifle so the memory must be a little off, but there was a time when I was looking for a tang sight for a model 71, and I did get it and I love it.  It's possible I was asking about tang sights for some of my other lever guns.  I will be looking for any excuse to upgrade the rest of them now.  I may even allow a receiver peep sight into the safe because I know they work better than they look. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2021 at 2:58 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

2 of my Christmas gifts were a label maker and some drawers to organize my gun stuff.  During my organization efforts I've come across some gun stuff that I can't figure out.  Since odds are I bought this stuff on advice from you guys I'm hoping someone on here can help me identify some of it. 

I'll do one per post to keep things simple. 

The rod in the middle had a threaded end and it screws into that hole in the middle.  Once it's screwed all the way in it rotates freely.  The rod also slides into that hole on the left sode of the second picture. 

IMG_20210102_1402261.jpg

IMG_20210102_1402463.jpg

Definitely the upper portion of an M-1 Rifle (Garand) cleaning rod.  The handle allows the rod (with the additional segments screwed on and a cleaning brush or jag) to follow the rifling twist so the cleaning end won't skip over the lands.  The handle can be used to remove the extractor from the bolt, and a few other things ( never used it for).  The reason the rod and the handle can be broken down is so it fits in the trap in the butt.  There are two holes underneath the trapdoor.  Because the thing will rattle in there, it is a good idea to poke some cleaning patches in there around the parts.

Archived