SASS Wire Forum

Kicked off FB then Twitter

Rye Miles #13621

On January 5, 2021 at 10:19 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

What's facebook? What's twitter? 

Facebook and Twitter is how your Betters determine if you are a proper little comrade.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about who you follow. SASS is on Facebook, so is S&W, Colt and all kinds of various gun groups. There's singers and actors you can follow and any political people you choose. You create your experience on these platforms, no one does it for you!

I just joined S&W group on Twitter, Julie Golob had a blurb on there. There's all kinds of people and groups to follow to fit your taste plus it's a good way to keep in touch with friends and family.

I have had my postings on LinkedIn disappear and yet when I report worse posts about Trump I see the liberal bias that I hoped didn’t exist as they report there is nothing wrong with the post according to their guidelines. I see that Google has stopped offering Parler. I hear from my wife visiting in Guatemala that WhatsApp activity is being monitored, specifically the texts. 
I am old enough to have had to read 1984 & Brave anew World for my high school lit class in the early 70’s. Never did I think I would see the start of Big Brother and the start of practices from the old Soviet Union happening here in my lifetime!  What can we do, seriously, to stop these trends in an attack of our civil rights?  I am looking for action not sources to donate. Living in FL I don’t have the worries at least at the beginning as the NY IL & CA gun owners do of possible confiscation of firearms. I think this is a credible worry. What do we do?

There is no civil right to use social media if those private platforms don't allow it.

There is a civil right, though, to buy a mimeograph machine and a bunch of stamps. Or to set up your own computer network.

Nobody can stop you from talking. But nobody owes you a megaphone. Buy your own megaphone.

They said if you don't like Facebook or Twitter build your own. So Gab and Parler started to build their own. Then the two principle cell phone software companies banned Gabs and now Parlers apps from their app stores thus severly hampering there ability to compete with Facebook and Twitter. And Gabs internet provider refused them server space in an attempt to close them down so Gab bought their own servers. Now Parlers internet provider Amazon is reportedly going to kick them off their servers and to survive Parler will have to build or buy their own servers. 

There are limits per law about financial contributions and in kind contributions that have financial value to candidates for public office. Google skewed search results to favor one candidate, Facebook banned and censored individuals and posts of one particular candidate and their supporters more than the other. Twitter shut down and banned and locked out and shadow banned supporters of one particular candidate over another. The result was equivalent to billions of dollars in contributions to one candidate.

Twitter, Facebook, and Google/Youtube enjoy special legal protections from the federal government protecting them from lawsuits and legal actions that they would otherwise be  subject to under the regulatory notion that they are merely providing platforms for conduits of information and are not therefore liable for being sued for information on their platforms - yet it turns out that they are heavily censoring, limiting, and shaping all the information on their platforms effectively being content providers and not just platforms. (imagine if Verizon censored your texts, if Apple edited or deleted your emails, or AT&T disconnected you mid-phone call if they deemed you were saying something they disagreed with). You don't like it, build your own phone company - you did - well oops the power company just cut you off - so build your own power company. 

Additionally when these companies have had competion from other companies they have bought them and they control the vast majority of all search traffic and social media on the internet. They also use their money, power, and influence to bend politicians to their will. These are all hallmarks of monopolies that prevent competitors from arising to be viable alternatives. 

Sure one can pretend to be blind to all this and just say - it's a free market - even when the evidence says otherwise. Given that one party now controls the entire national government and that one party is the one supported by Twitter, Facebook, Google, Apple, and Amazon there is obviously nothing going to be done to reign in the monopolistic actions of these companies receiving special government protections. 

But one can point it out til one is banned or censored and so that others can enjoy some of their peers attempt to ridicule your objections by attempting to ignore or minimize the issues with empty platitudes like - they are private companies and it's a free country - as if the actions of these huge multi-trillion dollar companies that enjoy special government protections have no real world impacts or consequences and as if they are not acting as effective monopolies. 

I have spent most of my career working in huge data centers.
They are a very costly affair... and it is quite expensive to "roll your own" server cage in a data center.

Big social media players have a huge investment in a vast number of physical hosts, virtual servers, IP load balancers, routers.. ad nauseam.
This is why startup outfits rent server space from Amazon, etc.

The censorship comes into play when Amazon and others refuse to rent server space to the startups.
This is "monopoly" and is no different than Big Railway or Big Steel in the time of Teddy Roosevelt.

The only impact a person can have on a monopoly is financial
I am hopeful that millions will spurn Twitter and Facebook then walk away
This cuts into their advertising revenues, which is the only thing that affects them.

(BTW, Facebook banned the Walk-Away Democrats group).

14 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

There is no civil right to use social media if those private platforms don't allow it.

There is a civil right, though, to buy a mimeograph machine and a bunch of stamps. Or to set up your own computer network.

Nobody can stop you from talking. But nobody owes you a megaphone. Buy your own megaphone.

Big tec is stopping people from buying there own megaphone. They are monopolies working together to eliminate any competition 

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Big tec is stopping people from buying there own megaphone. They are monopolies working together to eliminate any competition 

Kinda like the big rich rancher that owns everyone in town including the sheriff!! A concurring story line in many westerns!;)

The whole "they're a private company, they can do what they want" idea never held water for me. If that were the case, then little diners all over the South would still be segregationist in counters and bathrooms.

It's only good, when it's good for them.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, bgavin said:

OP,

I am facing my next suspension of 30 days, then permanently banned.
I am a firm believer in using Saul Alinksy's "Rules for Radicals" against liberals, so I vigorously employ Rule #5
"Ridicule is man's most potent weapon."

Now that the election is over, I am no longer doing my Photoshop caricatures of Gropin' Joe Biden, The Box of Rocks™ (AOC), Kameltoe, Fauxcahontas Shitting Bull, and all the rest.

FB jail is cumulative.
Each offense gets you a longer timeout, eventually banned.

FWIW: the FB nannies scan all text.  Do your stuff in graphics (memes, etc) which it takes a human to interpet.

It didn’t take all of that process to most recently ban Ron Paul on FB.

I quit Facebook because of censorship and bans.
I closed my business and personal accounts and walked away.

Censorship, suppression and banning are the hallmarks of Communists and Nazis.
I am wondering when they will start burning SASS handbooks, and forcing Juden-like emblems on gun owners.
Ocasio-Cortez is already on record calling for "re-education camps" for conservatives and Trump supporters.
Forbes is actively banning Trump staffers from finding new employment.

Heil Harris.  (Biden will be gone by Spring).

22 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I just got a notification from fascist book that I’m no longer allowed to create groups or events indefinitely. 2 things I’ve never done .

No reason why, gotta love that , MeWe here I come 

Just FYI, though I do believe the CEO is a staunch supporter of privacy rights:

https://writeoftech.com/2021/01/11/mewe-ceo-is-a-serial-democratic-party-donor/

10 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Just FYI, though I do believe the CEO is a staunch supporter of privacy rights:

https://writeoftech.com/2021/01/11/mewe-ceo-is-a-serial-democratic-party-donor/

Right now I’m not sure there’s another viable alternative out there . 
never really cared for Twitter and Parler was the same format . But none of it is something I need 

the groups on fb and MeWe are kinda like the forums, like this which I enjoy. 

Just tried to comment in a group and fb message came up I’m not allowed to comment until January 23rd , and I haven’t even said anything nasty lately. I was also sent no notice of the restriction or why 

guess I’ll go share something positive about conservatives and see if I can get locked out of that also 

I know this is an off the wall request and kinda off topic. But there is a rather well known photo of Johnny Cash, guitar, biting his lower lip and giving the middle finger to the photographer. Someone please photoshop Trump’s face (biting his Iower lip of course)  over Cash’s face, and send it to me.

Heck I can’t even by a Q flag on eBay or Amazon or Etsy anymore. Need to find one to push the buttons of my more tender and fragile relatives, that and build a mini Trump shrine in the living room....

what's a 

q flag?

2 hours ago, Noz said:

what's a 

q flag?

Q anon flag. I just want one to irritate my brother and sister in law. I don’t by into all of it. It’s a conservative counter culture thing for me. 

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Just tried to comment in a group and fb message came up I’m not allowed to comment until January 23rd , and I haven’t even said anything nasty lately. I was also sent no notice of the restriction or why

Welcome to Facebook jail.
Each sentence is cumulative, so you get longer and longer timeout days.

The nanny is an automated process that reads everybody's text for keywords.
A combination of keywords, even out of context, gets you nailed by the nanny.

I won't tolerate censorship and bans, so I closed all my personal and business accounts on Facebook, and walked away.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

Welcome to Facebook jail.
Each sentence is cumulative, so you get longer and longer timeout days.

The nanny is an automated process that reads everybody's text for keywords.
A combination of keywords, even out of context, gets you nailed by the nanny.

I won't tolerate censorship and bans, so I closed all my personal and business accounts on Facebook, and walked away.

It’s not jail , I’ve been there before, I wasn’t notified of violating anything. I’ve had a few other people message me the same thing happened to them yesterday. I’m guessing the 23rd because that’s a few days after the inauguration. I and everyone that contacted me said we all can comment again the morning of the 23rd 

Censorship is censorship, no matter how they dress it up.

Each time I was put into FB jail, I had the opportunity the challenge the decision.
I was able to reverse it a few times... after a real human read the offending message and found it was not offending.
Their text nanny is far from perfect.

46 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Censorship is censorship, no matter how they dress it up.

Each time I was put into FB jail, I had the opportunity the challenge the decision.
I was able to reverse it a few times... after a real human read the offending message and found it was not offending.
Their text nanny is far from perfect.

The notification I was sent about creating a group or meeting was just that , no reason why no way to complain/appeal and it says indefinitely.

when I try to post in a group it just says I can’t until the 23rd at 6 am , never got any notice. 

Archived