SASS Wire Forum

Grips for Ruger Single Six

Waimea

I am mightily confused.

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas a couple weeks ago and one of the things was grips for my Single Six.

It seemed simple enough. By the serial number it was made in 1958.

XR3 grip frame.

So I showed her what I would like.

She got 'em.

They didn't fit the SS but they fit my OM Vaquero perfectly.

What did we do wrong?

There are two grip styles for the older single sixes.  Most are XRN-3 Red Short grips.  However, some were made with XRN-3 Red grips, which are about 3'/16 of an inch longer.  A Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk grip will fit on them.  The grips will fit on the pins for both styles.

You probably have the  XRN-3 Red Short grip.  Here's the Eagle page that has grips for the XRN-3 Red Short grips.

https://www.eaglegrips.com/322-gunfighter-style-grips

I wanted textured Rosewood grips, but there were none available awhile back.  I ordered the Roswood grips for the Ruger Vaquero and sanded down the overhang to fit.  The worked out just fine.

I hope this helps.

Null N. Void is correct.  I went through the same situation when I purchased grips for the wife's new .32 Single Six revolvers.  She wanted the Eagle Grips, but I also have found very nice, and less expensive grips from Altamont.  See the link below.

Ruger | Altamont Company

Wiamea, the chart below is one of the most helpful things I have found in determining Single Six .32 caliber grip sizes...see XR3 - Red (redesigned) and XR3 - "short".  To the best of my knowledge so far, you cannot determine your grip size by serial number. 

RUGER-GRIP-PROFILES-DIMENSIONS-Page-600-DPI-791x1024.thumb.png.08eaa645c5fa6ad6bca6b849322fd9ac.png 

I have to remove the old grips and start measuring, I guess.

I did see the chart but after we ordered.

Thanks Pards.

Not sure about all of them but mine have XR-3 cast into the grip frame. Worked every time I ordered different grips. Check under your grips.

You said yours is a 1958.  I had an old Single Six from the same time period and could never find any replacement grips.  If you notice in the above chart the farthest it goes back is 1962.

Here is a better explanation of Ruger grip frames over the years.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

21 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You said yours is a 1958.  I had an old Single Six from the same time period and could never find any replacement grips.  If you notice in the above chart the farthest it goes back is 1962.

Plus one for this site.  Bill Hamm is an exceptional source of knowledge for old Rugers!

The gun blast article about Ruger grip frames is a good reference.  I have no doubt that Bill Hamm is an exceptional source of knowledge. 

Unfortunately , the last update to that article on grip sizes was in 2006;  Ruger single sixes in .32 magnum were made through 2015. 

Many, but not all, of the guns I have encountered, made from 2001 to 2015,  have the "shorter" grip. That is why I have found that the best way 

to determine short vs long grip.....for 32 H&R Magnum Single Sixes.....is to measure grip height....3" for long,  2 3/4" for "short".  Frame markings can be helpful, but some of the later guns (for example, a pair I have from 2015) are not marked in the grip frame. 

Hope to help, not further confuse. 

OO

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Thanks Larsen.

My '58 Single Six has the XR3 on the grip frame as described.

We provided all this info when we ordered the grips and they still sent the wrong ones.

Now I am gun shy. That's why this thread as I wondered if there was something I missed.

I don't think so.

I'll give it another try.

Another Shooter I know wanted different grips for his Ruger 32 Single Six.  What we did is use the grips that fit my 32 as a size check.  My grips (for a XRN-3 Red Short) fit and that's what he ordered and installed.  On the SS guns there were no markings, so the fit test worked out the best.  The XRN-3 Red Short is also known as the XR3 Short.  We found it easier to fit test than try to measure.

2 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

Another Shooter I know wanted different grips for his Ruger 32 Single Six.  What we did is use the grips that fit my 32 as a size check.  My grips (for a XRN-3 Red Short) fit and that's what he ordered and installed.  On the SS guns there were no markings, so the fit test worked out the best.  The XRN-3 Red Short is also known as the XR3 Short.  We found it easier to fit test than try to measure.

The Short LOOKS like it might fit the best BUT in '58 they hadn't thought up the RED part yet so I can't wrap my little brain around the discrepancy in the timeline.

I am trying to fit a .22 also. I never mentioned that as I didn't think it was important. Grip frames are grip frames, I believe.

Yep, to my knowledge, there is not difference between Single Six .32 mag and .22 grip frames. 

Also, I have swapped out different sized grip frames on my wife's .32 Single Six bird's head pistols.

So an update:

It indeed looks like the plain old XR3 grips would fit my Single Sixes.

HOWEVER look at the last line on the graphic Ozark Okie provided.

"The locator pin is in a different position though."

Well, great. That's kind of a big deal don't you think?:angry:

Archived