SASS Wire Forum

So it's 1872

Okiepan

So it is 1872 what type of weapon would you be carrying??

You are not in the current military, you might have fought in either the wars of 1812,1846,1861 , or were in the military between conflicts.

So would it be a Cartridge ? Percussion? Flintlock?

and what caliber?

Do you have a war trophy ? Civilian model ?

long hunter , you get the idea .

In 1862 I would be carrying my Queen Anne doglock fowler smoothbore in .69. IIRC percussion caps came out circa 1850 so probably can't rely on supplies yet but I can always knap a little flint or cherry to suit that lock.

With that a .69 cal plowhandle pistol, my riflemans knife andhawk

It depends? Are we talking according to my alias and backstory, or if I were simply alive back then living the life of one of my ancestors?

If the former, likely a Spencer and a cartridge conversion revolver of some sort, or perhaps a Colt Army Model.

If the latter, my guess is I would be living in the hills of Kentucky where something that would take down game from squirrel up to deer would be more important, so some sort of a muzzleloading rifle.

We also have to look at if we use cartridge weapons, would the resupply of ammo be available, remember the country was different back then.

Most likey even to reload were components available.

For me probably an 1860 Colt, a Bowie Knife or a cut down bayonet and probably a Sharps .54 caliber musket or something similar. 

Since my two favorite carry firearms are a revolver designed in 1899 and an automatic designed in 1905, I obviously am not a big fan of modern weaponry. "You really can't trust that new stuff."

I would probably be carrying a rock and a pointed stick.

Probably nuthin'.  My family has always been honest poor white trash.

Might have a percussion rifle scrounged from the army hanging over the fireplace.

I’d be heeled like Wild Bill.

6 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

In 1862 I would be carrying my Queen Anne doglock fowler smoothbore in .69. IIRC percussion caps came out circa 1850 so probably can't rely on supplies yet but I can always knap a little flint or cherry to suit that lock.

With that a .69 cal plowhandle pistol, my riflemans knife andhawk

The percussion Colt Paterson was in production in 1836.  There were others, especially long guns.  

29 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Aha thank you. We ran pre 1850 in my old blackpowder club, we all shot rocklocks

I LOVE it~!!  :lol:

I want a new flinter.  My godson and his buddy just bought a couple of Traditions Deerhunters.  Ridiculous 24" barrels, but I'm thinking I might have to get one just for the heck of it - the Ferguson is a mite fragile for dragging through the brush.  Heck... the Fergie has a 24" barrel too!  

R3200850.jpg

60949894_Ferguson2.jpg.1fcab053e5285879ef5c94cc563f5123.jpg

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Aha thank you. We ran pre 1850 in my old blackpowder club, we all shot rocklocks

Reverend Forsyth, Scots preacher and duck hunter, patented his percussion lock in 1805 (which might be where you're getting 1850 from - a little number transposition).

In 1826 the percussion cap was invented, here in the states, to get around the good Reverend's patent.

Navy  Gripped 1871 Open-Tops ( the army gripped guns came out in 1872 ) in .44 Center Fire as well as a 66 in the same chambering and a 10 ga. hammered double ...

And a Sharps slant breach .54 ,using paper cartridges .

I thought of getting one of them twin pin guns that fire either the .44 Henry Flat or .44 center Fire, but they are prone to breaking Firing Pins ....

Or if I was less flush 1851 Navys, 66 , Sharps and 10 Ga Double....

Jabez Cowboy

The OP said Carrying. I took that to mean handguns. I wouldn't be carrying a musket around. :D

I’m the spirit of the OP, I’m thinking I’d have been of modest means in 1872. Likely would have owned civil war surplus percussion gun(s). Maybe a Sharps or Springfield/Enfield rifle. Maybe a single shot shotgun and a ‘51 or ‘60 Colt. 

Don’t think I could have afforded anything else. 

Depends on why I’m heading west. 

Homesteading? Likely what I was familiar with from around the home or from the War, a Springfield, maybe a Spencer, maybe a Sharps. Possibly a shotgun, and a C&B revolver as a distant maybe. 

Ranch work? A revolver, metallic cartridge conversion probably. An 1866 or a Spencer if I was lucky and held onto a stake long enough, a Sharps otherwise.  

Railroad work? Probably a conversion revolver. 

The tools would depend on the job. 

Ozark sort of went where I was going. What are you using the gun(s) for?

Hunting big game, small game, birds?

Self defense

Indian attacks

And I focused on the word "carrying"

1872 cartridge conversions were available but ammo wasn't. Also percussion guns pistols and rifles could be had cheap. Conversions cost  ore money than many could afford.

Just living off the land, 1851 Navy Colt and a SXS shotgun.

Archived