SASS Wire Forum

Ruger precision verses ruger american

Trigger Mike

Optics choice is determined by the expected distances you plan to shoot.

If you're gonna blast little varmints at 10-20 yards, you'll need a scope with AP (adjustable Parallax) that goes down to 10, assuming you need

a scope at such close distances.

I can't answer your question about which rifle might be more accurate.   You could buy 5 of each and 3 of the precision rifles might

have a very noticeable accuracy edge over the American model.    But 2 of those American models might have just as good accuracy

as the precision models.    AND.....much will also depend on the shooters ability.

Just my opinion.   I have no scientific data to support my opinion.

..........Widder

The Ruger Precision is significantly heavier, so if you want a rifle that you can carry consider that.

Accuracy wise, I believe it's a wash.  With .22LR especially, you have to find the round the particular gun likes.  Look for standard velocity rounds for potentially the best accuracy.  .22 magnum is not known for it's accuracy and choices are much less.

As for scopes it depends on what you want to accomplish.  If all you want to do is targets, then a high power scope with adjustable parallax could be a benefit depending on how serious you are about it. Adjustable objectives are usually a little less expensive than the (incorrectly termed) side focus.  If you want a carry rifle for the woods then a low-mid variable would be good.  Those that are labeled as rimfire scopes typically have a fixed parallax set at 75 yards or less.

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

The Ruger Precision is significantly heavier, so if you want a rifle that you can carry consider that.

Accuracy wise, I believe it's a wash.  With .22LR especially, you have to find the round the particular gun likes.  Look for standard velocity rounds for potentially the best accuracy.  .22 magnum is not known for it's accuracy and choices are much less.

As for scopes it depends on what you want to accomplish.  If all you want to do is targets, then a high power scope with adjustable parallax could be a benefit depending on how serious you are about it. Adjustable objectives are usually a little less expensive than the (incorrectly termed) side focus.  If you want a carry rifle for the woods then a low-mid variable would be good.  Those that are labeled as rimfire scopes typically have a fixed parallax set at 75 yards or less.

the precision is VERY heavy 

mine has bipod and cheap scope and can hit a dime every shot at 50 yard 

really fun at tin can alley

With Federal Target ammo, or CCI green tag, my RPR in 22 LR will do a half inch at 50 yards all day.  I have a 3x9x40 Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II scope mounted on it, and a 6" to 9" bipod.  A Warlock suppressor is in the works.

here is mine with 3x9 scope as soon as I get around to it will add a long mag release 

we use CCI quiet 22s  the bullet hitting steel makes more noise than the round going off 

with Fed Black Pack ammo it groups are about the size of quarter at 50 yrds 

with T-22s and a better trigger finger on the gun 100 rounds all under a dime size 

big plus is using 10-22 mags that we already have 20 plus 

now that I remember I was going to buy a Ruger American  but it would have to be ordered 

the pic was taken on my still clean loading table 

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I could see weight being a factor so for squirrels and such the American is a better choice but bench rest the precision is better, is what I'm gathering.   

Neither is going to be bench rest accurate using .22 Mag - depending on what your definition of "accurate" is.  Some .22 Mag ammo is better in some rifles than others, but as a general rule .22 Mag is not near as accurate as match or standard velocity .22LR.

My personal shooting the .22 mag was with a Ruger 77/22 mag and the Winchester 9422.   Neither were as

accurate as some .22 LR I have owned.

I've also owned and shot the .17 HMR, but the rifles were CZ and Savage.   They were VERY accurate but

there is a big difference between a Ruger 77  and a CZ or Savage.

If you want a reasonably accurate RIMFIRE rifle, consider either the CZ or Savage in either .22 LR or .17 HMR.

If you are gonna shoot competition, etc..... you may want to consider a KIDD or Volquartsen .22, maybe even some

of the CZ models.

If you only want to shoot little varmints within 50 yards and such, all the accuracy you need is 'Minute of Squirrel'.

I think my next RIMFIRE rifle will be another KIDD or probably the CZ Varmint in .17 HMR.

For more info about the KIDD rifles and options, visit:  coolguyguns.com

For info about the CZ, visit:   cz-usa.com

..........Widder

TM, I have a ruger rimfire target, laminate stock heavy 18 in barrel in 22 mag. It will shoot 5 shots in 1 inch or less at 100 yds.

But only with hornady 30gr vmax after trying at least 5-6 other loads and after glass bedding stock, lots of work but worth

It for me!! hope this helps, also 4-12x sightron scope.

Leadspittin Lefty

24 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

My personal shooting the .22 mag was with a Ruger 77/22 mag and the Winchester 9422.   Neither were as

accurate as some .22 LR I have owned.

I've also owned and shot the .17 HMR, but the rifles were CZ and Savage.   They were VERY accurate but

there is a big difference between a Ruger 77  and a CZ or Savage.

If you want a reasonably accurate RIMFIRE rifle, consider either the CZ or Savage in either .22 LR or .17 HMR.

If you are gonna shoot competition, etc..... you may want to consider a KIDD or Volquartsen .22, maybe even some

of the CZ models.

If you only want to shoot little varmints within 50 yards and such, all the accuracy you need is 'Minute of Squirrel'.

I think my next RIMFIRE rifle will be another KIDD or probably the CZ Varmint in .17 HMR.

For more info about the KIDD rifles and options, visit:  coolguyguns.com

For info about the CZ, visit:   cz-usa.com

..........Widder

The CZ 457 series of rifles that I have handled have all been very nice.  KIDD accurate?  I don't know, but much less than KIDD cost.

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Would 17 hmr be more accurate?

In theory it would not be as affected by wind.  In practice, neither the 22wmr or the 17hmr are offered in match grade like the 22lr.  Your accuracy will vary box to box with the same ammunition.  The 17hmr rifles don’t vary as wildly as the 22wmr rifles with different ammunition.  For example, 17hmr ammunition the rifle doesn’t like may group 2.7” while ammunition the 22wmr rifle doesn’t like may group 4.3” at 100 yards.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TM, have you priced .22 mag ammo lately? 

Can you even find any?

OLG 

Yes, there is 22 mag available,  but zero 22lr, 17 hmr is also available.   In anticipation of buying a xt22 1911 22 mag i bought enough the manual says is needed to break it in, but then decided why?  If I'm going to carry a full size 1911 then carry a 45.  So I have some on hand, plus I've been carrying a 22 nag mini revolver for years as a back up

I recommend CZ's.  The 452 Silhouette with a BSA 6-24X44 optic will break Corona Light bottles at 100 yards with every shot; using the hood of a Ford F250 4X4 as a rest.  I bought the two back in the early 2000's after doing considerable research.  The reason for the purchases was the misses wanted to try shooting silhouettes.  I use the rifle to shoot jack rabbits.  I use the scope during daylight & an ATN 1.25-5 thermal at night.

Howdy,

According to Chief AJ all rugers are not created equal.

He accurized a boatload of ruger mostly 10/22.

He would try the original barrels and every so often one would

really shoot great.  His replacement barrels back in the 90s would

usually shoot real well but every so often one would be spectacular

and a couple would suck.

I got to know him a little, spent some money and had some fun along the way.

Lately Ive found Beyer barrels work great.

Pay your money and take your pick.

For scope 2-7 redfield with crossbow recticle is nice.

Best

CR

The RPR's optics mounting rail has a 30 m.o.a. tilt (front lower than back).  This is to allow use of a scope's adjustment range into long ranges at which it would otherwise run out of adjustment.  Be ready to deal with this when mounting scopes with large objective lenses or shades.  May require higher mounting rings than anticipated.

So far, my 22 LR RPR is much more accurate than I am.  Great for metallic silhouette.

If money is no object the CURRENT top end small rifles come from right here in the US.  State of Utah. VUDOO  arms. If I buy another micro bolt action instead of another Annie I will buy one of theirs.  They don't make Olympic position rifles but offer both normal stocks and chassis rifles.  I am not sure but I suspect they get their barrels from Benchmark.

Archived