SASS Wire Forum

Tom Hanks News of The World

11 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

We went a seen this today. Good movie. Clothing and firearms almost 100%. Hanks and the young girl did a great job

Thanks, looks good from the trailers. Theaters here are open on a very limited basis but they're open!

It's sad, but in the coming years,  theatres may become a thing of the past.

Direct to cable or DVD could be the new norm.

Although the pandemic has wreaked havoc on the movie industry,  what may be a temporary situation could become permanent. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/new-oscar-rules-movies-not-in-theaters-1234591702/

Remember Drive-in Theatres. :(

5 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Although the pandemic has wreaked havoc on the movie industry,  what may be a temporary situation could become permanent. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/new-oscar-rules-movies-not-in-theaters-1234591702/

The only problem is I can't get a screen as big as the theaters in my house!! I love going to the movies!;)

15 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

If it cuts down on the number Hollyweirds in the world...

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The only problem is I can't get a screen as big as the theaters in my house!! I love going to the movies!;)

Relatively speaking, I can buy a TV size that gives me the same view and a stereo surround system that gives me the same sound as if I was sitting in a theatre.

Better, I can use subtitles and pause while sitting in my house.:D

Subtitles + pause for a trip to the loo are very high on my list as well.
I designed and built a 9' bass horn subwoofer that can shake the walls if I want to enhance a movie.
I play it when my bride is out of the house.

Yea, I had a feeling I saw the wrong movie on Christmas Day at the the theater.

We haven't been to a theater since Clint's Unforgiven, 29 yrs ago.  moved up this Cristmas from a 50" TV to a 60" TV, that's good enough for us.  I watched the Searchers in Blu-ray the other day and on the 60" TV, you feel that you could walk right into the picture it was so clear and distinct.

I like movies but haven’t been to a theater in a very long time.

It's long been known that theaters don't make money selling movie tickets. They make their money on concessions. The movie world has changed. Large reclining seats with trays for drinks and snacks.  Booze. and fewer people per theater but more viewing time options.

We've made moving going a thing we do for 50 plus years. Lunch or diner after the flick. Just getting. The only drawback is no pause!

I like Tom Hanks.  A couple of years ago, I couldn’t come up with any westerns he had done.  Then, I heard about this one.  I will watch when convenient.  Thanks for the review.

22 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

No wonder they are in decline....the prices they charge for snacks and drinks.

That's actually how they make a profit. Sales of tickets mostly goes to the studios.

The main problem we have is the ridiculous volume levels in the theaters. I guess it's geared to youngsters who walk around with their headphones blasting 12 hours a day. My wife has sensitive ears and can't stand the volume, especially if it's an action movie.

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The main problem we have is the ridiculous volume levels in the theaters. I guess it's geared to youngsters who walk around with their headphones blasting 12 hours a day. My wife has sensitive ears and can't stand the volume, especially if it's an action movie.

Take the little foam earplugs with you. You can adjust how much they attenuate the sound by how far they are inserted.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take the little foam earplugs with you. You can adjust how much they attenuate the sound by how far they are inserted.

I used hearing protection when my grandsons were on a tear.
Both were shriekers.. loud enough to sterilize a buzzard at 50 paces.

I used both in-ear + over-ear to reduce the load.

My wife has the same complaint, both theater and in-home movies with a sound system.
TV commercials also seem to be louder than the program material.

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

My wife has the same complaint, both theater and in-home movies with a sound system.

I have worn the markings off the remote compensating for the significantly increased volume of commercials.

I love going to the movies! I go in the afternoon in the middle of the week and there's hardly anyone there, it's a few bucks cheaper and to me you can't beat the big screen I don't care what you have at home!;)

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Doesn’t really work. The volume goes from nuclear explosions to young actors mumbling dialog.

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

I think there’s an FCC reg saying the commercials can’t be louder than the peak volume of the show you’re watching. So if there’s a gunshot or scream in the show........

It was a lot different going to the movies in the 1960s or 1970s.  For starters you didn't have movies at home other then what was broadcast. It was either the theater or whatever was on regular tv. Also up to a certain point you only had black and white at home.  Eventually with cable you had more channels and finally movie channels.

Now with the quality and size of home tvs why go to a theater even before the recent restrictions and shutdowns? And of course nowadays hollywoods politics are not hidden away and are in your face.

14 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Now with the quality and size of home tvs why go to a theater even before the recent restrictions and shutdowns? 

Why go out to dinner when you can eat at home? Why go to church if you can watch a service on television? Why get on an airplane if you can watch the documentary? Why go to a concert, symphonic or otherwise, if you can listen to music at home?

I find that, even after over 53 years, my wife likes to be taken out to a dinner and a movie now and then. And I like it, too.

Some movies are more fun with a theater of people. But I've found that so many people are used to watching at home, talking whenever they want, checking their phones, you see lit up phone screens, they've forgotten how to be polite in public. That will ruin a good serious drama for me. An action movie or raucous comedy is easier to watch with a few rude people in the audience.

Fewer people were disruptive and rude at the movies years ago.

Right now you can rent a theater for a private screening for about $ 100.00. 

Just threw my daughters birthday that way. 

25 people sanitized auditorium and the first time we went to the movies in a year.

I like Hanks and am looking forward to this movie. 

8 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Some movies are more fun with a theater of people. But I've found that so many people are used to watching at home, talking whenever they want, checking their phones, you see lit up phone screens, they've forgotten how to be polite in public. That will ruin a good serious drama for me. An action movie or raucous comedy is easier to watch with a few rude people in the audience.

Fewer people were disruptive and rude at the movies years ago.

Excess volume and rude patrons pushed us away from movie houses. We now go to a local arts theater that shows the offbeat stuff we enjoy. Patrons there are more of our mindset, and age bracket. 

Commercials and movies take on whole new meanings when you turn off the sound and watch the body language.

It seems every Hollywood movie has the mandatory homosexual scene(s), and/or somebody taking a leak on screen.
Season Four of Sabrina has the mandatory lesbian scenes in addition to being "woke" and the man-bashing messages.

Fewer people were rude or disruptive anywhere, back in the day.
My Dad would have knocked my block off (and did).
Our Dads would not have tolerated ANTIFA/BLM riots for a moment.

I think it was the butler from Downton Abbey that said something like "once standards drop, they never return."
How true that is.

The great thing about Home Theater is we can be annoyed with junk movies in the privacy of our own home.
We can PAUSE and go to the loo or refresh the soda and popcorn without missing anything.
For a fixed price, we can opt out of the lesbian and urinating scenes without losing a ticket price or enduring sticky floors.
And... we don't have some jackass with flu or C19 2 seats behind us, sneezing all over us.

I think Drive-In movies might make a big comeback, as we have zero desire to ever enter another movie theater.

Archived