SASS Wire Forum

Brussel Sprouts Dilemma Again

Yul Lose

I believe I posted about Brussels sprouts a couple of years ago and now they’re back. Mrs. Lose has a bumper crop of them and tonight was the third time we’ve had them this week. The other night in bed she mentioned that she thought she left the cages off of the planters that keep the opossums, coons, rabbits, rats and whatever else like to eat them out and I was secretly hoping that she had and that the critters were eating all of them that they could. Evidently they weren’t hungry for Brussels sprouts that night because she gleefully reported that she had left the cage off of the planter but they hadn’t eaten any of them. I don’t mind them occasionally but more than once a week is to much for me. What to do.

How about you make dinner for you and the missus. Perhaps a couple of nice steaks, brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes. Make yourself a can of beans and eat them on the sly. 

The gas you’ll have later...

Blame the sprouts...

She’ll never have you eat them again. 

Explain that you like them once in a while, but that more than once a week is not good!

If you don’t speak up, she will never know!!

Well I broke the news that I’d like them a whole lot more if we had them a whole lot less. I’m not sure she got my meaning, I guess I’ll find out.

Help us out here.  How does she prepare them?  Once we know that we can offer better suggestions.  But, for a start:
Shave 'em on a mandolin and make a cole slaw out of them.
Cut them in half, blanch them, then roll in crumbs and fry them.  Or batter them and fry them.

Shred them and mix them into potato pancakes.

Substitute them for cabbage in colcannon.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Freeze 'em.  ^_^

This and then use them in a wrist rocket against said critters. It's called "Fun With Brussel Sprouts" or "How To Piss Off A Vegetarian With Vegetables".

Brussels sprouts roasted with olive oil then buttered  is excellent fare.  I really like them and can eat them two three times a week.  The again, I really like rot col (red cabbage in vinaigrette) and just about every other cabbage related plant.  All are very satisfying and tasty.

If none are available then a turnip or a rutabaga  is a good substitute - they have the consistency of a potato and the flavor of a cabbage (to me anyway).  Eaten with a fish fried or whatever, you can't go wrong.  Oh, heavy rye bread to go along with this - I was told the angels eat this in heaven and I believe it. Just flat out delicious.

STL Suomi

Take them off the stalk.

Place them in a plastic bag,  with olive oil and shake vigorously

Take oiled sprouts and roll in flour til coated

Now that they're coated, take the bag to your garage

Grab a wood from your bag and a handful of tees.

Go out back, T a few up and use the sprouts as practice balls '

Remember, left elbow straight, head behind the ball, and  bicep touches chest on the backswing,............have fun.

When you plant a garden no matter how hard I try everything gets ready at the same time. You got to eat it when its ready it wont keep. I                                                   have the same problem with tomatoes, cabbage,brocolli, corn. So just eat it or give it away. You won't have any more till next year.

My mother severed them a few times a year.  She served them with a sharp cheddar cheese sauce.  I wish I had her cheese sauce recipe.  Roasted or grilled is OK.  I will nor eat creamed peas or creamed peas & carrots.  These were the favorite vegetable course for Sunday meals buy my mother or maternal grandmother.  I see them and gag.

P.S. Except for the cheese sauce, eating them more than once a week would ruin them for me.

This reminds of an episode of Leave It To Beaver, who refused to eat his Brussels sprouts, so he dumped them into a potted plant. (Or am I remembering that wrong)

I don’t care for Brussels sprouts, in general, but my wife buys a pre-seasoned, frozen brand that is as tasty as BS can get.  I’ll eat them and feel proud of myself.

Sometime around 2000, I agreed with me wife (later The Germinator) that I would eat BS once a year. If she bought too many they were all hers for the remaining meals.

after she passed and I learned that roasting was better, I cooked BS twice a year. Now I have not had BS in maybe three years.  I don’t miss ‘em.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:34 AM, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Brussels sprouts roasted with olive oil then buttered  is excellent fare.  I really like them and can eat them two three times a week.  The again, I really like rot col (red cabbage in vinaigrette) and just about every other cabbage related plant.  All are very satisfying and tasty.

If none are available then a turnip or a rutabaga  is a good substitute - they have the consistency of a potato and the flavor of a cabbage (to me anyway).  Eaten with a fish fried or whatever, you can't go wrong.  Oh, heavy rye bread to go along with this - I was told the angels eat this in heaven and I believe it. Just flat out delicious.

STL Suomi

The only thing you mentioned that I like is potato.

kR

You're looking at this all wrong.  After Mrs. Lose is fast asleep, go outside, remove the cages, harvest the sprouts, dispose of the sprouts and in the morning be ready to provide the necessary heart-felt, "Tsk, tsk, dear, you must have left the cages off again"  Repeat as needed.  You're welcome!

Peel outer leaves of Brussel Sprouts and cut in half

Peel and dice a Parsnip (adds a great "pepperiness").

Heat EVOO in a pan to shimmer.

Saute good and hot, get some brown on all of it. A little salt does not hurt. Do not let any get mushy, you want tender crisp! A few twists of fresh ground black pepper just before taking off the heat and serving adds something special. Don't add it earlier, or it will add bitterness.

Serve as a side with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Grilled Ribeye medium-rare, and a Good Red Wine.

Mrs. Lose may be a closet Wire Saloon follower because it’s been four days and there is no mention of them.

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Sounds like you miss ‘em.

About like I miss covid.

Archived